Around the NFL

KingTitan

Nick Foles was the Super Bowl MVP in that offense and he dominated in the playoffs too. Carson Wentz was not the common denominator for why that offense was so successful. He is really freakin' good, don't get me wrong, but that offense was on fire with or without him last year.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Mariota were to swap places with Wentz last year, and Wentz was in a Robiskie lead offense throwing to Eric Decker, no one is talking about Wentz as borderline elite?

Coaching and supporting casts are huge for a young QB, and this is the first time Mariota has really had either one, outside of a strong running game in 2016.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Nick Foles was the Super Bowl MVP in that offense and he dominated in the playoffs too. Carson Wentz was not the common denominator for why that offense was so successful. He is really freakin' good, don't get me wrong, but that offense was on fire with or without him last year.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Mariota were to swap places with Wentz last year, and Wentz was in a Robiskie lead offense throwing to Eric Decker, no one is talking about Wentz as borderline elite?

Coaching and supporting casts are huge for a young QB, and this is the first time Mariota has really had either one, outside of a strong running game in 2016.

??‍♂️ That offense was on fire but not the same, I’m sorry Foles can’t make every throw, Wentz can. even Doug Pederson said once Wentz went down he went & look at film of Foles in Chip Kelly’s Offense to build off the things he could do. Case in point look at Phili offense the beginning of the season wit Foles VS the past 2 game wit Wentz big difference. Yes play calling & supporting cast makes a big difference but Marcus still doesn’t make the throws nor is he a better pocket passer than Foles. Can Marcus get there yes 

26 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I agree. Wentz, or any QB for that matter, is no where even close to sniffing an MVP caliber season in our offense from last year.

10 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I agree. Wentz, or any QB for that matter, is no where even close to sniffing an MVP caliber season in our offense from last year.

Our offense from last yr was the same as the offense Marcus threw 26 TD’s. The problem was Marcus mechanics were screwed up due to not having an off-season. Yes the offense was outdated & no stretch of innovation but if Marcus had his best season as a pro in that offense I believe Wentz can do the same thing. He’s better than Marcus throwing from the pocket, throwing receivers open & anticipation 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

??‍♂️ That offense was on fire but not the same, I’m sorry Foles can’t make every throw, Wentz can. even Doug Pederson said once Wentz went down he went & look at film of Foles in Chip Kelly’s Offense to build off the things he could do. Case in point look at Phili offense the beginning of the season wit Foles VS the past 2 game wit Wentz big difference. Yes play calling & supporting cast makes a big difference but Marcus still doesn’t make the throws nor is he a better pocket passer than Foles. Can Marcus get there yes 

Marcus Mariota is a better pocket passer than Nick Foles lol. I'm hoping you meant to say Wentz?

Marcus was definitely making all the throws on Sunday. I wanna see how it looks going forward. 

But my point remains. If they switch teams last year does anyone really think Wentz looks even remotely the same? I just highly doubt that. 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Our offense from last yr was the same as the offense Marcus threw 26 TD’s. The problem was Marcus mechanics were screwed up due to not having an off-season. Yes the offense was outdated & no stretch of innovation but if Marcus had his best season as a pro in that offense I believe Wentz can do the same thing. He’s better than Marcus throwing from the pocket, throwing receivers open & anticipation 

Schematically yes the offenses were the same in both years. But there is no denying the rushing game was not good last year. Because of that, it makes it almost impossible for the QB to have any success in Robiskie’s offensive scheme (or lack there of). If your rushing attack sucks in his scheme then there is no need for the help on the back end of the defense to bite on the fakes and it’s not hard to stop the countless 2 man routes or the moronic 3 man routes in which the route concepts have receivers running on top of each other. That coupled with a year for defenses to adjust to an offense that isn’t hard to stop in the first place played a large role in his worst year.

Now was Marcus’ mechanics screwy and is Wentz better at all the things you mentioned? Sure, though I think you can debate some of it, but my point still stands. No QB, including Wentz, was going to have an MVP caliber season with our personnel last season.

Edited by dtait93

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Marcus Mariota is a better pocket passer than Nick Foles lol. I'm hoping you meant to say Wentz?

Marcus was definitely making all the throws on Sunday. I wanna see how it looks going forward. 

But my point remains. If they switch teams last year does anyone really think Wentz looks even remotely the same? I just highly doubt that. 

Yes I meant Wentz 

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Okay but that statement is  hypothetic if you put Mahomes in our offense from last yr, he won’t have the success he’s having now. Or any elite QB. The fact I’m saying is this Wentz is better than Marcus it’s not even close. Yes Marcus made all the throws last Sunday, but he still doesn’t throw as well wit anticipation or can throw a receiver open, now can he develop that skill sure it takes time, for one he has to stay healthy & develop a chemistry wit the receiver & stay within a consistent system. I think he’s been in the league 4 years now & has had to learn 3 new systems 

3 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay but that statement is  hypothetic if you put Mahomes in our offense from last yr, he won’t have the success he’s having now. Or any elite QB. The fact I’m saying is this Wentz is better than Marcus it’s not even close. Yes Marcus made all the throws last Sunday, but he still doesn’t throw as well wit anticipation or can throw a receiver open, now can he develop that skill sure it takes time, for one he has to stay healthy & develop a chemistry wit the receiver & stay within a consistent system. I think he’s been in the league 4 years now & has had to learn 3 new systems 

Wentz in Philadelphia's offense is better than Mariota in Mularkey's offense and it's not even close. Yeah, I agree. That was my point actually. If you want to look at the NFL as if every players situation in a vacuum, go for it. Their situations have been far from equal.

And as Rage has shown clips of below, Mariota excels with anticipation. He was even fire at it in Oregon. I'm not sure where you got that narrative as you're the only person I've ever heard use it and the last time I heard you use it it sounded like you thought leading the receiver and anticipation were the same thing. 

Mariota, from day one in the NFL, has shown the ability to throw the ball to a spot for a receiver that hasn't made his break yet. Hell, in year one we saw him do it to Walker in the end zone without even looking at him. That throw to Taylor on 4th and 15 was before he made his break on the route to a perfect location from the sideline, and the All 22 shows Mariota is looking at the right center of the field just before he shows it so the defender doesn't key on Taylor.

And as far as throwing guys open, I'm not sure if you mean leading them, as he did perfectly on two deep balls to Reynolds (that was dropped )and Davis on a double move (throw thrown with anticipation of the double move btw), but even the "overthrow" to Davis in the first quarter was a beautiful dime that should have been a touchdown. Davis slowed up on his route and the ball just narrowly missed his hand. Marcus put it where it needed to be so that he could continue running after the catch for the TD. The only time he didn't lead a guy enough on one of his deep balls was Taylor and it was still a good throw. Taylor has to do a better job of tracking that ball. 

Or I'm not sure if you mean locating the football as in placing it at a spot where only his man can get, which he also does. This week he ignored a wide opwn Smith to hit Davis over the middle and he put the ball up high out of the way of the underneath coverage. Last week on a throw to Davis there was a defender closing on a curl route and Mariota put the ball low and inside where only Davis could get it. It was probably a little low, but Davis should have caught it.

At certain points in the past he has shown a tendency to not set his feet and flick the ball with his arm which has resulted in him sailing some balls, but overall he has been an accurate passer. More concerning was his decision making last year as if he wasn't seeing the field well.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Wentz in Philadelphia's offense is better than Mariota in Mularkey's offense and it's not even close. Yeah, I agree. That was my point actually. If you want to look at the NFL as if every players situation in a vacuum, go for it. Their situations have been far from equal.

And as Rage has shown clips of below, Mariota excels with anticipation. He was even fire at it in Oregon. I'm not sure where you got that narrative as you're the only person I've ever heard use it and the last time I heard you use it it sounded like you thought leading the receiver and anticipation were the same thing. 

Mariota, from day one in the NFL, has shown the ability to throw the ball to a spot for a receiver that hasn't made his break yet. Hell, in year one we saw him do it to Walker in the end zone without even looking at him. That throw to Taylor on 4th and 15 was before he made his break on the route to a perfect location from the sideline, and the All 22 shows Mariota is looking at the right center of the field just before he shows it so the defender doesn't key on Taylor.

And as far as throwing guys open, I'm not sure if you mean leading them, as he did perfectly on two deep balls to Reynolds (that was dropped )and Davis on a double move (throw thrown with anticipation of the double move btw), but even the "overthrow" to Davis in the first quarter was a beautiful dime that should have been a touchdown. Davis slowed up on his route and the ball just narrowly missed his hand. Marcus put it where it needed to be so that he could continue running after the catch for the TD. The only time he didn't lead a guy enough on one of his deep balls was Taylor and it was still a good throw. Taylor has to do a better job of tracking that ball. 

Or I'm not sure if you mean locating the football as in placing it at a spot where only his man can get, which he also does. This week he ignored a wide opwn Smith to hit Davis over the middle and he put the ball up high out of the way of the underneath coverage. Last week on a throw to Davis there was a defender closing on a curl route and Mariota put the ball low and inside where only Davis could get it. It was probably a little low, but Davis should have caught it.

At certain points in the past he has shown a tendency to not set his feet and flick the ball with his arm which has resulted in him sailing some balls, but overall he has been an accurate passer. More concerning was his decision making last year as if he wasn't seeing the field well.

Haha nah dude stop. Marcus sucks can't you see?

On 9/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, TitanRedd said:

I wouldn’t extend this kid paying him more than 10 mill a season he doesn’t have it

On 9/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, TitanRedd said:

He just throwing the ball without a clue 

On 9/30/2018 at 2:39 PM, TitanRedd said:

There’s no chill the F out, he constantly makes bone head decisions

On 9/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, TitanRedd said:

His IQ is reckless 

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

I’ve been on record saying he doesn’t sucks & that I clearly was talking out of frustration because I’m sick of drafting QB’s & I hope he proves me wrong. You also can go look at my Mariota predictions before the season start I said over 30 total TD’s & his best season. When he makes VY decisions wit the football I say the dumbest thing I can think off he just been as of lately making costly turnovers that he should know better & maybe it has some to do wit mularkey making life difficult for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Marcus has to know we’re not a team that’s going to blow opponents out the stadium, we pretty much play games down to the wire, so therefore he got to understand field position when to take yo shots when to take a sack or get rid of the ball, now last Sunday Marcus did throw better wit anticipation something I haven’t seen him do as well since his rookie year wit Whizhunt.. I need to see more, cause there still times I see him throw the ball late or behind receivers & this when as you said his feet aren’t set. 

• Like 1