Jump to content
KingTitan

Around the NFL

Recommended Posts

It would be something if Mariota becomes our own Steph Curry.

By that I mean, we sign him to a  "bargain" deal because of his injuries, only for him to reach superstar/MVP level. It'd be a dream come true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my Marcus' greatest qualities going back to Oregon and his first two years in the league was his quick release. He saw where he was going with the ball and boom it was out. It was all instinct based, and he was really deadly in the short and intermediate passing game. Over these last two years he seems to have lost that and plays with quite a bit of hesitation.  The coaching staff really needs to just let him go out there and let his instincts take over again. He's overthinking everything, and I'm hoping that as he gets comfortable in this offense he can get back to that, but of course he has to be able to stay healthy to ever get back to being the guy we drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

It would be something if Mariota becomes our own Steph Curry.

By that I mean, we sign him to a  "bargain" deal because of his injuries, only for him to reach superstar/MVP level. It'd be a dream come true.

I think he signs a deal comparable to Dalton. Maybe not the money because prices go up, but structure at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Point was made today. Even a good QB will get paid. It's so hard to find a QB. Teams hold on to them. 

Marcus is here unless he can't get over the injury. 

They will just invest more in the backup spot. Maybe draft one higher. Then if that guy is better then Marcus would be gone or Jimmy G the drafted guy. 

Yeah, even if he's an early Alex Smith or Andy Dalton, there's a reason those guys are still starters in the league. Who ya gonna replace them with?

The only way he's gone is if his injuries become so bad that he's consistently missing more than 2 games a season as he has been.

2 years ago he looked like he would be a top 10 QB in no time, last year he looked like top 15 was his ceiling. Hopefully he bounces back strong in the new offense, but it's hard if he's missing a lot of time with injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, even if he's an early Alex Smith or Andy Dalton, there's a reason those guys are still starters in the league. Who ya gonna replace them with?

The only way he's gone is if his injuries become so bad that he's consistently missing more than 2 games a season as he has been.

2 years ago he looked like he would be a top 10 QB in no time, last year he looked like top 15 was his ceiling. Hopefully he bounces back strong in the new offense, but it's hard if he's missing a lot of time with injuries.

The problem isn't necessarily how many games he's missing so much as it's how many games are impacted. Mariota only missed 1 game last year from the hamstring but it was made evident that it impacted him through like week 16 or 17, and then apparently he messed it up again vs New England.

He'll probably eventually start playing with this injury but how long is it gonna impact his ability to throw?

People bring up McNair and that's fine and good and all but 1. McNair's ability to play well through injury is an extremely rare trait and 2. In large part because of his injuries, we only got truly 3 good years of QB play out of him. 99 and 00 he was largely just a game manager.

Mariota is quickly running my patience thin. I feel bad for him because a lot of stuff just seems flukey with how he gets hurt, but it kinda stops being a fluke when it happens repeatedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, even if he's an early Alex Smith or Andy Dalton, there's a reason those guys are still starters in the league. Who ya gonna replace them with?

The only way he's gone is if his injuries become so bad that he's consistently missing more than 2 games a season as he has been.

2 years ago he looked like he would be a top 10 QB in no time, last year he looked like top 15 was his ceiling. Hopefully he bounces back strong in the new offense, but it's hard if he's missing a lot of time with injuries.

Assuming his nerve heals up, and that seems like a huge if at this point, I I think he'll have a mediocre or a slightly below average outing this year and we sign him to a bargain deal. I think that for 2 reasons: One, he's obviously proven to be injury prone and two, it usually takes 2 years for the offensive coordinator and QB to gel and I think that'll be the case with Marcus and Matt if he's able to get healthy. Just to give some context and I think this example is probably overused but it's still a good one, in Shannahan's first season in Atlanta in 2015, Ryan actually had a down year from the year prior. In 2014 he put up 4694/28/14 and in 2015 he put up 4591/21/16. Obviously we all know what he did in 2016 (4944/38/7) and I think that's in large part due to Ryan having 2 off-seasons and a full regular season to finally get the offense down allowing him to run with it. I don't think Marcus will have that kind of season if he's still around next year, but I do expect him to have a better year in 2019-20 than whatever type of year he'll have this year. However as we all know, this entire thing is moot if he can't get/stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Point was made today. Even a good QB will get paid. It's so hard to find a QB. Teams hold on to them. 

Marcus is here unless he can't get over the injury. 

They will just invest more in the backup spot. Maybe draft one higher. Then if that guy is better then Marcus would be gone or Jimmy G the drafted guy. 

Marcus should be here. He's clutch and truly think hes the guy to lead us to the superbowl but I also understand hes been hurt a lot and thats why...

I get the media backlash but man Keap would be THE perfect back up. Skill sets are the same. CK as exp and has played in BIG games and a super bowl He would be a great back up that could win us some games but it wont happe.. Blaine was def a upgrade over Matt but like you said we might need to draft a higher pick cause in a couple years we will be the Jags KC and Us as AFC contenders and I dont want our season derailed from a injury. Any QBs you guys looking at as aback up next year?

 

We could always sign Jameis as our back up next year!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

The problem isn't necessarily how many games he's missing so much as it's how many games are impacted. Mariota only missed 1 game last year from the hamstring but it was made evident that it impacted him through like week 16 or 17, and then apparently he messed it up again vs New England.

He'll probably eventually start playing with this injury but how long is it gonna impact his ability to throw?

People bring up McNair and that's fine and good and all but 1. McNair's ability to play well through injury is an extremely rare trait and 2. In large part because of his injuries, we only got truly 3 good years of QB play out of him. 99 and 00 he was largely just a game manager.

Mariota is quickly running my patience thin. I feel bad for him because a lot of stuff just seems flukey with how he gets hurt, but it kinda stops being a fluke when it happens repeatedly.

I'm right there with ya with my patience wearing thin, but where are we going to improve the position? If we get bad Marcus or injury affected Marcus the rest of the year, do we look at someone like Drew Lock/Justin Herbert in the draft?

I just feel awful even talking about replacing him, because two weeks ago I still had faith in him to show us that he could be even better than 2016, but the injury factor is real. It feels like an overreaction based on where I was two weeks ago, but it's year four. At this point in a players career we shouldn't be talking about what he can be, but instead what he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Marcus should be here. He's clutch and truly think hes the guy to lead us to the superbowl but I also understand hes been hurt a lot and thats why...

I get the media backlash but man Keap would be THE perfect back up. Skill sets are the same. CK as exp and has played in BIG games and a super bowl He would be a great back up that could win us some games but it wont happe.. Blaine was def a upgrade over Matt but like you said we might need to draft a higher pick cause in a couple years we will be the Jags KC and Us as AFC contenders and I dont want our season derailed from a injury. Any QBs you guys looking at as aback up next year?

 

We could always sign Jameis as our back up next year!  LOL

Would that be the first time ever that a 1st and 2nd overall QB picks from the same draft ever played on the same team? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, even if he's an early Alex Smith or Andy Dalton, there's a reason those guys are still starters in the league. Who ya gonna replace them with?

You couldn't choose two more mediocre... or to use a nicer term, average QBs to compare him to... and that's just underwhelming to me.  Yeah, their 65-44 and 89-63 records in the regular season are good... but what sticks out, to me at least, are those 0-4 and 2-5 records in the playoffs.

Alex Smith's had a nice run in KC... and I actually made the comparison early on in Mariota's career... thought Alex Smith would be Mariota's floor.  Now it seems I have to settle for him to reach what I once felt was his floor.  It's disappointing to even think about it that way.  

I think Mariota can still be a good QB in this league.  But if our ultimate goal is a SB, and I hope we're all in agreement that we are, I'm left wondering if this is really an option with him going forward.  We have him for this and next season before he's due a big contract.  Again, I bring up Flacco, Wilson, and Wentz/Foles as SB winning QBs the past few years on rookie contracts.  The Jags got close last year... and may again this year with Bortles still essentially on his rookie contract (the extension lowered his hit this year to 10M)... They've invested a ton of resources on that D... similar to those same Ravens, Seahawks, and Eagles... and similar to what the Rams and Bears are/have done. 

Technically we still have a couple of seasons with a "cheap" Mariota to try to take advantage of that window (which is why I was all in on Suh and woulda given up those two 1sts for Mack).  Maybe Mariota proves us all wrong, gets past his injuries, and becomes the elite QB we all thought not too long ago he'd be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Avery Williamson that’s like what his 3rd career loss to the Browns?

The Cheap Shot on Locker Game 

Manziel

Now tonight 

Did I miss any?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Poor Avery Williamson that’s like what his 3rd career loss to the Browns?

The Cheap Shot on Locker Game 

Manziel

Now tonight 

Did I miss any?

He was all over the field last night though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

He was all over the field last night though. 

I’m not putting any of the losses on him I’m just saying there’s not many guys that can say they were on teams that lost to the Browns 3 times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 2:44 PM, TitanSS said:

I'm right there with ya with my patience wearing thin, but where are we going to improve the position? If we get bad Marcus or injury affected Marcus the rest of the year, do we look at someone like Drew Lock/Justin Herbert in the draft?

I just feel awful even talking about replacing him, because two weeks ago I still had faith in him to show us that he could be even better than 2016, but the injury factor is real. It feels like an overreaction based on where I was two weeks ago, but it's year four. At this point in a players career we shouldn't be talking about what he can be, but instead what he is. 

Drew Lock is going to flame out. Most overrated Mizzou qb since our new buddy blaine. 

 

Big arm, zero performance in Big games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×