What do you want in a Head-Coach?

Texas_OutLaw7

Build your ideal Head Coach  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What TYPE of Head Coach do you like?

• X's & O's - Offense
    • X's & O's - Defensive
    • X's & O's - Special Teams
    • Motivator
    • Schemer
    • Other - Explain
  2. 2. What type of Experience does your HC Need?

• Up-and-Coming NFL Coordinator / Position Coach
    • Previous NFL Head Coach
    • College Head Coach
    • College Coordinator
    • New to Coaching (or Outside of Coaching)
    • Trade for a Big Name
    • Promote from Within

As someone who has been, perhaps, the staunchest supporter of Redball, this season is critical to decide the fate of the Cowboys. We are an exceedingly young team, with significant financial flexibility. Either Redball needs to take the next step or we need someone who can get us to that next level. So the question becomes, what is it you look for in a Head Coach?

1. X's & O's - Offense
    • Someone who is a Creative savant at maximizing offensive players, who if not directly in control of the offense, has finger prints all over it.
    • Example: Sean Payton / Andy Reid
  2. X's & O's - Defensive
    • Someone who is a shrewd defensive guru who if not directly in control of the defense, has finger prints all over it.
    • Example: Mike Zimmer / Dan Quinn
  3. X's & O's - Special Teams
    • Someone who is able to out-scheme opponents on the third facet of the game while being able to oversee both the offense and defense.
    • Example: John Harbaugh 
  4. The Motivator
    • Someone who needs the right coordinators in place to call plays, but manages the team as a whole. They are the overseer and final arbiter.
    • Example: Pete Carroll / Mike Tomlin
  5. The Schemer
    • Someone who is a pure tacticians, prides himself on making halftime adjustments. They have a focus to get opponents off their game and ensure their plan works. Be it offense or defense. They target a weakness and show no mercy.
    • Example: Bill Belichick

The next question is what type of experience do you want your coach to have?

1. Give me the hottest-name coordinator in the NFL. First time HC.
    • Example: John DeFilippo / Teryl Austin
  2. A re-tread, someone who didn't work out somewhere else but already has some HC experience.
    • Example: Josh McDaniels / Mike Munchak
  3. A college HC. Time for the spotlight on them.
    • Example: Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma / David Shaw, Stanford
  4. A College Coordinator taking the next step.
    • Example: Pep Hamilton, Michigan / Tony Elliott, Clemson
  5. Someone outside of Coaching Circles
    • Example: Jon Gruden / Will McClay /  Tony Romo
  6. Trade for an established name.
    • Example: Sean Payton
  7. Promote from within.
    • Example: Kris Richard

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

As someone who has been, perhaps, the staunchest supporter of Redball, this season is critical to decide the fate of the Cowboys. We are an exceedingly young team, with significant financial flexibility. Either Redball needs to take the next step or we need someone who can get us to that next level. So the question becomes, what is it you look for in a Head Coach?

1. X's & O's - Offense
    • Someone who is a Creative savant at maximizing offensive players, who if not directly in control of the offense, has finger prints all over it.
    • Example: Sean Payton / Andy Reid
  2. X's & O's - Defensive
    • Someone who is a shrewd defensive guru who if not directly in control of the defense, has finger prints all over it.
    • Example: Mike Zimmer / Dan Quinn
  3. X's & O's - Special Teams
    • Someone who is able to out-scheme opponents on the third facet of the game while being able to oversee both the offense and defense.
    • Example: John Harbaugh 
  4. The Motivator
    • Someone who needs the right coordinators in place to call plays, but manages the team as a whole. They are the overseer and final arbiter.
    • Example: Pete Carroll / Mike Tomlin
  5. The Schemer
    • Someone who is a pure tacticians, prides himself on making halftime adjustments. They have a focus to get opponents off their game and ensure their plan works. Be it offense or defense. They target a weakness and show no mercy.
    • Example: Bill Belichick

The next question is what type of experience do you want your coach to have?

1. Give me the hottest-name coordinator in the NFL. First time HC.
    • Example: John DeFilippo / Teryl Austin
  2. A re-tread, someone who didn't work out somewhere else but already has some HC experience.
    • Example: Josh McDaniels / Mike Munchak
  3. A college HC. Time for the spotlight on them.
    • Example: Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma / David Shaw, Stanford
  4. A College Coordinator taking the next step.
    • Example: Pep Hamilton, Michigan / Tony Elliott, Clemson
  5. Someone outside of Coaching Circles
    • Example: Jon Gruden / Will McClay /  Tony Romo
  6. Trade for an established name.
    • Example: Sean Payton
  7. Promote from within.
    • Example: Kris Richard

Hard to say right now and how the players finish the season, Dak in particular.

If our defense, specifically our secondary continues to show improvement, I wouldnt mind promoting someone like Richard (as long as he gets rid of SL).

If we play terrible and Dak continues to regress and we are looking at multiple changes, I wouldnt mind bringing in a college HC, hoping Rod retires and giving the defense to Richard.

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

Hard to say right now and how the players finish the season, Dak in particular.

If our defense, specifically our secondary continues to show improvement, I wouldnt mind promoting someone like Richard (as long as he gets rid of SL).

If we play terrible and Dak continues to regress and we are looking at multiple changes, I wouldnt mind bringing in a college HC, hoping Rod retires and giving the defense to Richard.

So you base your Head Coaching preferences based on the roster?

It's interesting because the latest trend seems to be to get an offensive guru and hope to land a decent DC.

If anything I am completely opposite to this. I would much rather a defensive guru and land a great offensive mind. The problem is all offensive minds are being poached. See what happened to the Falcons. Kyle left. Nagy left. Schumer left.

45 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So you base your Head Coaching preferences based on the roster?

I could see how my comments lead you to think that way.

To answer your question, no. I think a good coach can/should adapt his roster based on his players.

My main point that I should have been more clear:

I am big on Richard and think he could do well as a motivator and hold people accountable, something I think is lacking. 

If we decide to blow it all up, meaning moving on from Dak, and making other tough personnel decisions, then I would give it to an up and coming coach that could start over.

I'm not sure where to put my preference for coaching style...I guess I want a guy who lets his coaches coach, but is smart/experienced enough to put his stamp on all aspects. Guess that would fit under a schemer. 

It's too soon for this, but if it came down to it, right now my top 4 candidates would be...

1. Chris Peterson
2. Dan Campbell
3. Kris Richard
4. Lincoln Riley

Archived