Jump to content
Texas_OutLaw7

What do you want in a Head-Coach?

Build your ideal Head Coach  

23 members have voted

  1. 1. What TYPE of Head Coach do you like?

    • X's & O's - Offense
    • X's & O's - Defensive
    • X's & O's - Special Teams
      0
    • Motivator
    • Schemer
    • Other - Explain
  2. 2. What type of Experience does your HC Need?

    • Up-and-Coming NFL Coordinator / Position Coach
    • Previous NFL Head Coach
      0
    • College Head Coach
    • College Coordinator
      0
    • New to Coaching (or Outside of Coaching)
    • Trade for a Big Name
      0
    • Promote from Within


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

HC - Chris Peterson
The Boise St pipeline with a little twist. 

AHC/DC - Kris Richard 
Probably should be in mix for HC, but I want offensive mind and experience. I'm doing whatever it takes to convince him to stay though. 

OC - Jedd Fisch
Experienced OC/QB coach and current Rams Sr. Consultant.

A concern I have, though, is that if we don't make Kris a HC - someone else will. And the cry that could potentially erupt from this fan base about another one getting away if he is good would be a little hard to swallow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't have a problem promoting Richard to HC, assuming we find a brilliant and innovative mind to run the offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

A concern I have, though, is that if we don't make Kris a HC - someone else will. And the cry that could potentially erupt from this fan base about another one getting away if he is good would be a little hard to swallow.

Most likely.  But if the bottom falls out like I think it does (4-5 wins), I'd really prefer a clean slate, an offensive HC and experience. Maybe come week 12 and the defense is still playing well, I'll change my tune. If I were guaranteed he'd replace every offensive coach, I could maybe hop on board then too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Most likely.  But if the bottom falls out like I think it does (4-5 wins), I'd really prefer a clean slate, an offensive HC and experience. Maybe come week 12 and the defense is still playing well, I'll change my tune. If I were guaranteed he'd replace every offensive coach, I could maybe hop on board then too. 

You and I are inline with this thought. I want an offensive coach since you see what the Rams have been able to do and it makes things *very* interesting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the trend going forward will be OCs as HCs more and more frequently. The head coach is largely a figure-head position for most teams; your play caller ultimately matters more. Combining the two allows for increased salary, prestige, control for the most highly demanded candidates, which is just basic economics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 10:53 PM, matt79511 said:

I think the trend going forward will be OCs as HCs more and more frequently. The head coach is largely a figure-head position for most teams; your play caller ultimately matters more. Combining the two allows for increased salary, prestige, control for the most highly demanded candidates, which is just basic economics.

It will be, since the league is entirely reactionary.

Which means the counter-trend will be that brilliant defensive mind to shut down teams (should the rules allow it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It will be, since the league is entirely reactionary.

Which means the counter-trend will be that brilliant defensive mind to shut down teams (should the rules allow it).

See that's the thing- I don't see the league enacting any countermeasures to the offensive explosion this year- not with ratings way up from last year.

I think Richard is a strong HC candidate as far as balancing being player-friendly and a hard-***; I would tend to think he's much more relatable and engaging than Garrett, to say the least. But I don't view him as a defensive mastermind of any sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After week in and week out of no vision in an offense I feel we need a young OC who’s hungry to take the league by storm. Someone with vision and creativity in an offensive scheme. Our offense is beyond boring and predictable. We are so desperate for some vision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

More than anything now, I want an offensive schemer.

I think it's needed. We need someone to elevate Dak, or someone who can find and develop his successor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for the Cowboy faithful out there. I hope you know Jerry publicly endorsing Dak is a huge problem for us.

Even if you guys still believe in Dak and who knows even if there is a chance he can be redeemed this is a huge problem for potential Head Coaching candidates. It's not unheard of for a player to be a lock to stay on the team when they have superstar status. H/e Dak has struggled in a big way. If we are trying to bring in a new HC possibly a offensive minded guy who just doesn't see Dak as "his" guy. We pretty much lost that Riley, LaFluer, type of guy. Coaches (good and great ones) have to have things their way. It's both an ego and visionary thing. What Jerry just did was severely limit the pool of coaches who would even be willing to come in for a interview not because of just Dak who would only be a small problem. But because the owner said "this is the way it is" with a struggling starter at the most important position on the team. So best of luck finding a coach that's worth a damn. I wonder if Richard even sticks around for the HC job. We sure as hell wouldn't get a guy like Harbaugh, or McCarthy with the owner saying a thing like this is "final". A owner who some of you still believe doesn't have any power anymore.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×