Waiver Wire Targets (Week 2)

holt_bruce81

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

Another year and I’m still not convinced that Gordon is better than Ekeler. If I had room for him, I’d take him. Allison could be the Packers #2 WR this season, and somehow is still available in some leagues. 

He's really not.  Gordon has never been able to finish; that's the knock Chargers fans have had of him since his rookie year, where Melvin gets contacted is typically where Melvin goes down.  That said, Ekeler's touch-share was pretty much identical to what it was last season and is almost certainly what the (stubborn) coaching staff will limit his share to unless MGIII gets injured which is 30%.  If you're comfortable with that and/or have a deep bench, you could do worse than stashing him, but he's one of those guys you're probably (unless you get ravage by injuries) going to always look at your bench and see a better option than each week.

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's really not.  Gordon has never been able to finish; that's the knock Chargers fans have had of him since his rookie year, where Melvin gets contacted is typically where Melvin goes down.  That said, Ekeler's touch-share was pretty much identical to what it was last season and is almost certainly what the (stubborn) coaching staff will limit his share to unless MGIII gets injured which is 30%.  If you're comfortable with that and/or have a deep bench, you could do worse than stashing him, but he's one of those guys you're probably (unless you get ravage by injuries) going to always look at your bench and see a better option than each week.

Oh...I agree. He’s more of a stash than anything but I think he is playable even if Gordon is around. But if Gordon went down, Ekeler would probably be a strong RB2 at worst. Those types of players should be on rosters. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who are you guys targeting this week on the Waiver Wire?

I think a few guys that are interesting...

1. TJ Yeldon RB 
2. Phillip Lindsay RB 
3. George Kittle TE 

Lindsay's carry share was way more than I thought, and he's a better pass catcher than Freeman. As a Freeman owner, I'm concerned

Kittle really shouldn't be on the wire in a twelve teamer. If he is, grab him. 

Guys I am/would be targeting:

QB: Andy Dalton - I know, I know, but the OL looks improved over last season (hard not to be) and you can't  deny he's got weapons out the yin-yang.  He's clearly not sexy, but he's very likely going to be a steady fantasy contributor (Top 12 QB, just closer to the 8-12 range) who will perform like a QB1 most weeks.  Most of you guys seem to prefer that (I don't mind streaming QB's, so that's who I'd lean towards if you don't want to stream).  Alex Smith is also viable as he's basically in an identical role to Dalton but in a weaker division as far as defenses go and with lesser weapons.

RB: TJ Yeldon - Hamstring injuries tender to linger so he could get a good run of about 2-3 games here as the primary ball carries; though I do expect them to mix in more Corey Grant like they did for the spell last year when Fournette missed time for injury.  Phillip Lindsay I'm more inclined to view as fool's gold (and this is coming from someone who was a fan of his as a prospect).  Yes, he and Freeman got an equal split of the carries, but Freeman is legitimately one or two bust-out big plays away from asserting his claim to the lion's share in that backfield.  We've seen this before from Musgrave when he doesn't have one guy who has asserted himself over the others in the backfield, he tries to accommodate them all (2015 Raiders) until someone breaks out and then he rides that guy (as he did with Latavius Murray).  I'd rather let Lindsay serve as someone that one of my opponents picks up and see who they drop because that player may be of more value.

WR: Tyler Lockett - He needs to lead the way on sheer volume alone.  Baldwin injured (sprained) his other knee, so the positive is that he's finally going to get to rest the originally injured one while this one is healed, the negative is he's probably out 4+ weeks minimum.  Chris Godwin also needs to be owned; I don't expect the Bucs offense to go off every week like they did Week 1, but Godwin is heavily involved, is going to be less of a priority to gameplan against than Mike Evans (and at the rate he's going, probably DeSean Jackson too), and he's a legit red zone weapon; not to mention that if/when Jameis does come back, he and Godwin were showing incredible chemistry in the preseason.

TE: I want to say Jonnu Smith but I don't trust Tennessee's situation (QB, OL injuries; Blaine Gabbert).  I'm not sure you can predict which of Flacco's TE's are going to be the guy week-to-week (at least until we see how that offense functions with Hayden Hurst in it), so that's more of a situation that I'm just monitoring for now.  Honestly, your best bet on TE's may be to kick tires on the more-hyped TE's who underachieved this past weekend and see if they can't be had on the cheap (Burton, Kelce, Ertz, Graham).  If I have to pick someone up, I'm targeting Eric Ebron and ASJ (dude legitimately had 2 different TD's taken away from him).

40 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I have Fournette in 2 leagues so I am targeting Yeldon.

Should I drop Aaron Jones and pick up Phillip Lindsay?

You know my take on Lindsay, but my philosophy on any of the guys that started the season with suspension is that if you drafted them, you committed to waiting out those suspensions - because you clearly saw potential in them at the time.  You've got one more week to endure of Jones' suspension and no one in that game made a dominant case for the starter's role at RB.  And those guys (Montgomery and Williams) get Minnesota this week, so they're probably not going much even in a PPR format.  If Rodgers is protecting the knee he'll checkdown more often and he'll want the more electric playmaker out there for those checkdowns.  I actually want Jones more than I did pre-draft with the injury to Rodgers because he's the more adept guy out of shotgun and we're going to see way more instances of the Packers operating out of shotgun while ARd is nursing that knee.

I'm actually actively pursuing Jones in my 1/2pt PPR league because he's sitting on waivers right now.

I'm really having a hard time prioritizing Lindsay, Eckler and Enunwa.

I need help just about everywhere since Alex Collins now has me shook as my RB2.

Option #1 is Kittle even though I have Kelce. I can flip Kelce for a good RB or WR if I can land Kittle.

Option #2 is Enunwa considering I have Marvin Jones, Robert Woods and Mike Williams as my WR2-4. Though adding Enunwa to this mix might just muddle everything even more. Really need a consistent WR2 considering Jones/Woods/Williams are boom or bust. Can Enunwa be that?

Option #3 is Lindsay or Eckler since Alex Collins is now worrying me.

Is this the right way to prioritize?

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Add Jonnu Smith and Ian Thomas to the list for TE needy teams. 

For the moment, I'd probably prioritize Ian Thomas over Smith just because of quality of QB.  Yeah, Blaine Gabbert may ride his TE a decent amount and there's the backup/backup chemistry that a lot of people overlook, but how confident are people that Blaine's going to move the offense downfield, behind a beaten up OL at that?  I'd rather take my chances on Cam (inaccurate as he may be, he makes it work) in a Norv Turner offense which has typically been good for TE production.

42 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm really having a hard time prioritizing Lindsay, Eckler and Enunwa.

I need help just about everywhere since Alex Collins now has me shook as my RB2.

Option #1 is Kittle even though I have Kelce. I can flip Kelce for a good RB or WR if I can land Kittle.

Option #2 is Enunwa considering I have Marvin Jones, Robert Woods and Mike Williams as my WR2-4. Though adding Enunwa to this mix might just muddle everything even more. Really need a consistent WR2 considering Jones/Woods/Williams are boom or bust. Can Enunwa be that?

Option #3 is Lindsay or Eckler since Alex Collins is now worrying me.

Is this the right way to prioritize?

I'm going to write a whole bunch here, but not really say anything, just to let you know. And the reason for that is simple;  I don't think any of these is a major disaster at this point in time, so priority order isn't that big of a deal. It may just come down to what you can get to work (as it may be out of your hands). 

It's way too early to know what is going to happen with Collins because you aren't going to learn a whole ton from a game that is that bad of a blowout that quickly. So I think for now, you stick with Collins for your rb2 regardless of what you do on the wire. Collins was a fine rb2 before week 1, that shouldn't change after a single week in a very unique situation. I'm concerned about the fumble and what that could mean for playing time and carry share, but that's hard to gauge. Eckler is not a reliable player right now, and he's basically a handcuff. Yes, someone may grab him off the waiver wire, but he's not reliable until Gordon gets hurt. I'm targeting him this week, but as a FA add, not as a waiver wire pick up and if I miss out on him, no big deal. I feel like whoever picks him up will probably drop him again in 4 weeks unless they are good at playing the long game or are a Melvin Gordon owner. I don' t know what to do with Lindsay yet, and I'm more focused on what he means to Freeman as opposed to what it means for him. I know @The LBC is not a fan and thinks he's fool's gold. 

Enunwa should probably be owned, but as you said, there's no clear upgrade there. Williams is a good sell high candidate to me if you know of someone in your league who liked him in the draft. Yes, he managed 6 targets, but it was on 51 pass attempts from rivers. 51 pass attempts is not going to be the norm (though he did throw it 40 times or more 4 times last season in a game). He also managed to catch 5 of those 6 targets, which is not something he's likely not going to sustain (I think more likely that he catches 3 or 4 out of 6 given his particular skill set). Marvin Jones is fairly reliable as a number 2, and Woods is a competent flex play, though I may like Enunwa more on a PPR basis.  

Kittle should certainly be owned in every league at this point. He's going to be a factor in the 49er passing game. The vikings are one of the best teams in the nfl against the tight end, and he had their way with them as is, never mind the fact that he probably dropped an 80 yard touchdown. If the 49ers get the red zone game working, he's also the prime beneficiary. Guys like Kittle are typically the reason why I don't draft tight ends early unless it's gronk, tbh. But Kittle doesn't really solve your problem because the idea of a flip on Kelce is just theory at this point. Sure, I think you can get value from someone who was starting Walker / Olsen. 

Basically, out of the players you named, I think that Kittle can have the greatest impact to your team...but that's hypothetical based on getting full value in trade for Kelce, which is not a guarantee after single catch performance for a position players aren't typically in love with spending high capital on. In the end, I'm not sweating priority in this situation. There's no move that is make or break here for your team. There are players I'd like to have more, but nothing I dont' think that you can live without. 

Archived