How To Manage Adrian Peterson? (UPDATE: Who Cares, He’s Superhuman)

e16bball

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:
15 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Bring in Orleans Darkwa. Guy that can eat 75-100 carries over the course of the year (even if it’s just garbage time) and we don’t have to worry about fumbling (Perine) or 0 effectiveness (Kelly)

Darkwa wasn’t even as humble as the future hall of famer we signed. Darkwa wanted the starting gig given to him and we wouldn’t agree to that so he didn’t sign. He’s not going to be here.

If Peterson breaks down and the Redskins are signing Darkwa mid-season, I suspect he'll be a tad more humble since no one picked him up.

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

If Peterson breaks down and the Redskins are signing Darkwa mid-season, I suspect he'll be a tad more humble since no one picked him up.

Kind of hoping they could add him before Peterson breaks down. I get that Kelly and Perine know the system but I’d probably just trust Darkwa with the ball more. 

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which I would cheerfully describe as the Johnathan Hankins Effect, having just seen that he quietly signed with the Raiders yesterday on a 1-year deal.

The details haven’t been announced yet, largely because the news was so insignificant that it just got bundled up with with their signing of fellow veteran DT Clinton McDonald and their re-signing of Martavis Bryant — but based on their $13-14M in available cap space (per OTC), it couldn’t have been for more than about $5-6M. 

Having humility forced on you isn’t fun, but sometimes it’s necessary. Hopefully the big fella learned a life lesson.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Which I would cheerfully describe as the Johnathan Hankins Effect, having just seen that he quietly signed with the Raiders yesterday on a 1-year deal.

The details haven’t been announced yet, largely because the news was so insignificant that it just got bundled up with with their signing of fellow veteran DT Clinton McDonald and their re-signing of Martavis Bryant — but based on their $13-14M in available cap space (per OTC), it couldn’t have been for more than about $5-6M. 

Having humility forced on you isn’t fun, but sometimes it’s necessary. Hopefully the big fella learned a life lesson.

Wow didn’t see the Hankins signing, makes sense as the Rams o line abused the Raiders Monday night. Same goes with Darkwa, assuming that he likes paychecks. 

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Kind of hoping they could add him before Peterson breaks down. I get that Kelly and Perine know the system but I’d probably just trust Darkwa with the ball more. 

Problem with that is they'd be carrying five RBs. So unless they're cutting Perine (you know they aren't cutting Kelley), I'm not sure I see it happening barring injury to one of the other four first, and I'd argue that they wouldn't go for Darkwa if Thompson is the injury (they'd just promote Bibbs).

I want to give him as many carries as possible. He's the type of back that will wear teams down and gets better as the game goes on imo. Sure hes not young anymore and may not be as effective or he may get injured, but I don't think hes in our long term plans so we might as well get the most out of him this year.

On 9/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, e16bball said:

I’ll be intrigued to see where the answers come out on this after this weekend

So...everybody still think just handing him the ball 20+ times a week is the right approach?

28 great (well-rested) touches last week, but then comes back out with 11 carries for 20 yards today. Literally one good run and one good reception all day. Combined with last year, it’s starting to look vaguely like a pattern.

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh lord E. You are tripping all over yourself defending Alex Smith and then blame Peterson who got hit repeatedly in the backfield. Thompson couldn’t get anywhere either and it all goes back to the offensive line getting their butts kicked all day.

FIFY

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh lord E. You are tripping all over yourself defending Alex Smith and then blame Peterson who got hit repeatedly in the backfield. Thompson couldn’t get anywhere either and it all goes back to the QBs inability to stretch the field. 

I’m not defending Smith to that degree ? I’ve said at least 3 times (in maybe 6 total posts?) that he handled the “down two scores, 4 minute drill” thing terribly, in terms of not taking more chances down the field. And I’ve said he didn’t play badly aside from that (which he didn’t). If that’s tripping all over myself defending him, then okay I guess?

And I’ve also crushed the OL at least twice. But if you thought Peterson looked remotely like the same guy he was last week, you might want to watch it again. He was a half-step (or more) slow getting to the hole, which with his particular running style is a death knell. He was getting stopped by contact that just turned him last week, or turned by contact that just bounced off him last week. And when he did get turned or slowed down, he didn’t have the same burst to get back up to speed before clean-up arrived to finish. 

He was just sluggish. Looked like Rob Kelley, except at least Rob Kelley just sticks it up in there for 2-3 yards a carry instead of trying to hunt out bigger plays that he isn’t able to make. 

You’re right, the blocking was not good. And I’m not trying to crush AD — I think he can still be a very good and valuable weapon for us. We just have to handle him wisely, or else we’ll keep getting this plodding version that we saw today instead of the big threat we saw last week. Which is really not criticism, unless you think me saying that I think he’s not twice as durable as any 33-year-old back in the last three decades is criticism. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not defending Smith to that degree ? I’ve said at least 3 times (in maybe 6 total posts?) that he handled the “down two scores, 4 minute drill” thing terribly, in terms of not taking more chances down the field. And I’ve said he didn’t play badly aside from that (which he didn’t). If that’s tripping all over myself defending him, then okay I guess?

And I’ve also crushed the OL at least twice. But if you thought Peterson looked remotely like the same guy he was last week, you might want to watch it again. He was a half-step (or more) slow getting to the hole, which with his particular running style is a death knell. He was getting stopped by contact that just turned him last week, or turned by contact that just bounced off him last week. And when he did get turned or slowed down, he didn’t have the same burst to get back up to speed before clean-up arrived to finish. 

He was just sluggish. Looked like Rob Kelley, except at least Rob Kelley just sticks it up in there for 2-3 yards a carry instead of trying to hunt out bigger plays that he isn’t able to make. 

You’re right, the blocking was not good. And I’m not trying to crush AD — I think he can still be a very good and valuable weapon for us. We just have to handle him wisely, or else we’ll keep getting this plodding version that we saw today instead of the big threat we saw last week. Which is really not criticism, unless you think me saying that I think he’s not twice as durable as any 33-year-old back in the last three decades is criticism. 

It’s called skimming what you’ve written, taking points out of context or selective reading, happens often.

Archived