How To Manage Adrian Peterson? (UPDATE: Who Cares, He’s Superhuman)

e16bball

15 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I hate being this guy but I was offered AP, Julio Jones, and Cam for CMC in my league. I kinda want to take it but hesitant with AP and the RB situation.

Will he get his touches every week?

Sounds like Rob Kelley is on the IR and AP will get all the carries, Thompson gets the receptions?

Is this a dynasty league or redraft? If it's redraft, why are you even hesitating?

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

This has been one heck of a pick up. He’s clearly still one of the leagues better backs. It’s just unfortunate he’s so much older and we can’t get a high compensation pick when he signs elsewhere next year. 

I hope he’s re-signed as Guice insurance. I don’t think any team is going to offer a 34-yr old RB a large deal even though he looks like he did 5 years ago.

Had been thinking about this possibility, and then saw an article pop up on ESPN about it today, so I figured I'd throw it out there. Even though I'm pretty sure many people will hate the idea xD

Buffalo is obviously awful. They're going to be behind in almost all of their games, and frankly they should be looking to go full tank at this point (if they aren't already). That means it's awfully silly for them to have an aging but still really talented RB like Lesean McCoy on their roster, especially at the cost of about $4.5M for the remainder of the season. Their OL is terrible (which it's become basically overnight after losing at least Glenn, Incognito, and Wood in the offseason), which makes Shady pretty useless to them even if they were trying to win ballgames. I think they should be looking to trade him ASAP.

Which is where we come in. We're already having success with one aging (okay, fully aged) RB who has turned back the clock. We don't feel comfortable with any of our backup options, as it's become clear that they don't trust Perine and Bibbs/Kelley are nothing special. We need AD insurance, and just as important, we need someone who can help us feel comfortable with the idea of easing off AD for a week when he needs a bit of a lighter load. With two guys who are in that similar position, we might have the ability to get the most out of both of them and keep them both as fresh as possible as the season wears on.

I wouldn't trade much for him. Not with his age and his court case and salary and nagging injury issue. At most a conditional 5th, something like that. But I think it would be a wise gamble. I could easily envision a situation where we're going into a big game with playoff implications and AD can't go -- and we're looking at relying on Perine (or Kapri Bibbs or Byron Marshall) to be the complement to CT. That's not a good scenario. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Which is where we come in. We're already having success with one aging (okay, fully aged) RB who has turned back the clock. We don't feel comfortable with any of our backup options, as it's become clear that they don't trust Perine and Bibbs/Kelley are nothing special. We need AD insurance, and just as important, we need someone who can help us feel comfortable with the idea of easing off AD for a week when he needs a bit of a lighter load. With two guys who are in that similar position, we might have the ability to get the most out of both of them and keep them both as fresh as possible as the season wears on.

I wouldn't trade much for him. Not with his age and his court case and salary and nagging injury issue. At most a conditional 5th, something like that. But I think it would be a wise gamble. I could easily envision a situation where we're going into a big game with playoff implications and AD can't go -- and we're looking at relying on Perine (or Kapri Bibbs or Byron Marshall) to be the complement to CT. That's not a good scenario. 

With the plan that the Redskins go into the 2019 season with Guice, Thompson, and McCoy (he would still have a year on his contract at $6.175M)? Or is this more a one year rental/Peterson insurance with the idea that the Redskins cut Shady after the season to free up the cap space (none of the 2019 money would be guaranteed ... well, not until the season begins then it all guarantees)? With the former, I suppose I could be talked into a 5th, but I'd rather start lower if the Redskins are just opportunistically fishing. With the latter, I think I might rather keep the draft pick.

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll pass E. There’s no way McCoy is coming here to be a back up. 

Unfortunately for Shady, he wouldn't have much say in the matter. Only thing he could do is to threaten to or actually retire. At that point, if the trade doesn't void, the Redskins would still have the rights to him should he ever decide to un-retire.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Had been thinking about this possibility, and then saw an article pop up on ESPN about it today, so I figured I'd throw it out there. Even though I'm pretty sure many people will hate the idea xD

Buffalo is obviously awful. They're going to be behind in almost all of their games, and frankly they should be looking to go full tank at this point (if they aren't already). That means it's awfully silly for them to have an aging but still really talented RB like Lesean McCoy on their roster, especially at the cost of about $4.5M for the remainder of the season. Their OL is terrible (which it's become basically overnight after losing at least Glenn, Incognito, and Wood in the offseason), which makes Shady pretty useless to them even if they were trying to win ballgames. I think they should be looking to trade him ASAP.

I like it. The issue I have is touches. CT, McCoy and AD all need touches. I don’t see enough snaps to go around to get them each 10-15. Essentially what we’d be doing is trying to replicate what the Saints did last year w/ AD, CT & McCoy being like Ingram, Kamara and CT. It didn’t work out for the Saints, I doubt it would for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly would like to see less carries for AP but somehow today it felt he didn't have a HUGE workload.  I know 26 runs is A LOT but I felt he was fresh, especially what he did on that TD.  Man he was angry after the fumble you can see it in his running.  Personally I would give Perine some work also in games. With our OL I think we can tire DLs with those two.

Archived