How To Manage Adrian Peterson? (UPDATE: Who Cares, He’s Superhuman)

e16bball

AP and Guice together wont work well. AP isnt the type of back who likes to share the rock thats why he had his issues in NO. He can work with a 3rd down back on key passing situations like CT but he needs to carry the ball at least 18 to 20 times a game.

If not for the 64 yard run were talking about an avg decent game of 75 yards

15 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm not sure we have any other viable option. The offense is essentially "Peterson or Bust!"

And this is why I think we should keep him at around 20 carries per game and if we are in the lead bring in Perine.  I know he has a fumbling problem, or so it seems but in college he was not known as a fumbler.  We need his confidence to return and the only way to do this is to give him some reps I guess.  He is also the same type of runner as AP, so its not that the line will need to do anything different to accommodate him.  For me right now is a lot more important keeping AP healthy than maybe Perine has one fumble when you are leading by 12 points in the 4th quarter.

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistics-game/a-statistical-look-at-how-turnovers-impacted-the-nfl-season

We have a few very slim margin for error between winning and losing games. We have a strong defensive front 7 and our secondary continues to improve. Remember the old saying No pass rush, no pass defense. MVP doing great at his age rushing the ball. Still getting hit way too frequently behind the line of scrimmage so don't give much credit to the OL

Now for the articl- Its Math guys so take a drink, relax yourself and read about a statistical look at how turnovers impact winning and losing. Its best stated by of all people a former Cowgirl  OL  

“Turnovers are like ex-wives. The more you have, the more they cost you.” – Dave Widell

I want a running back that wont turn the ball over with this current team and would sacrifice potential big plays if it limits exposure to turnovers- the old Three yards and a cloud of dust is our best formula with this team. Unfortunately that is boring to many., but turnovers lose games especially when your offense has never been able to come from behind to win a game the whole season. 

also argues for us to ALWAYS take the ball first, but Dumbo always defers after winning the toss. 

17 hours ago, Woz said:

Still, they would be wise to try and find some alternative in hopes of not collapsing down the stretch.

That might just be when we find out what Perone has!!!! Sometimes those big moments bring something out in guys. Look at Henry!! Can’t gain a yard but last year playoff time he went crazy!!!! Who knows

3 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

We need his confidence to return

Dunno if there is any chance of restoring his confidence given that they drafted Guice this offseason and have given as many carries to Jamison Crowder as they have to Perine so far this season.

3 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

For me right now is a lot more important keeping AP healthy than maybe Perine has one fumble when you are leading by 12 points in the 4th quarter.

Part of the problem this year has been that they haven't been leading large late. If I recall correctly, only against the Packers and the Giants did they have two score leads in the 4th quarter.

Just now, ripsean21 said:

That might just be when we find out what Perone has!!!! Sometimes those big moments bring something out in guys. Look at Henry!! Can’t gain a yard but last year playoff time he went crazy!!!! Who knows

@Doc Draper hit on the head: the way this team is constructed offensively, there is little room for error. Thus, if you have a player who is thought to have a fumbling problem, then he is going to ride the bench because you cannot take the risk.

Keep in mind, Gruden is coaching in a very risk-averse fashion, in part because Peterson is found money, in part because Smith is risk-averse himself, and in part (I suspect) Gruden's worried about his job. Right now, doing what they are doing is leading to wins, which protects Gruden from getting fired. Now, because of the little room for error aspect, this could easily turn on its head with an ill-timed turnover.

23 hours ago, Woz said:

@Doc Draper hit on the head: the way this team is constructed offensively, there is little room for error. Thus, if you have a player who is thought to have a fumbling problem, then he is going to ride the bench because you cannot take the risk.

Keep in mind, Gruden is coaching in a very risk-averse fashion, in part because Peterson is found money, in part because Smith is risk-averse himself, and in part (I suspect) Gruden's worried about his job. Right now, doing what they are doing is leading to wins, which protects Gruden from getting fired. Now, because of the little room for error aspect, this could easily turn on its head with an ill-timed turnover.

It could!!!! Or the ball could bounce our way as lately it has. Wins are hard to come by and maybe Gruden realizes with Smith he doesn’t have much yet. But I think this offense has a ways to go before it clicks. I know AP could get hurt on any play!!! But hopefully the football gods love seeing this guy who’s given so much to this game get his after everyone wrote him off!!!! No matter what it’s been great watching AP do it here!!!! Watching us be the toughest team for once I’m gonna soak it in while I can as a redskins fan that’s the best I got lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived