How To Manage Adrian Peterson? (UPDATE: Who Cares, He’s Superhuman)

e16bball

I said in the GDT were gonna need more running backs. Hopefully Perine takes a short yardage role when he gets back and the 5-8 carries that would go with it. I get Peterson probably didn’t want to come out because the offense was moving so well. Eventually a sit down has to happen where he has to understand a few less carries per game will probably improve his average and rushing total over the course of the year 

40 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I said in the GDT were gonna need more running backs. Hopefully Perine takes a short yardage role when he gets back and the 5-8 carries that would go with it. I get Peterson probably didn’t want to come out because the offense was moving so well. Eventually a sit down has to happen where he has to understand a few less carries per game will probably improve his average and rushing total over the course of the year 

Perine gets back? He was a healthy scratch. And Peterson is our best short yardage back, he’s the only back we have with size and vision. If anything he gets less carries overall but remains the short yardage back.

I don’t foresee Gruden activating Perine over Kelley. We’re going to have to live with Kelley’s few carries a game as he spells AD. Hopefully Kelley finds more room in future weeks than he did yesterday.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Perine gets back? He was a healthy scratch.

At the same time, he had sprained his ankle mid-preseason so it may have been that Kelley got the snaps because he was doing the workouts. I think you and I both can agree that Kelley should be the healthy scratch from here on in.

I don’t foresee Gruden activating Perine over Kelley.

I think you and I can also agree that this is probably true. Unfortunately.

We’re going to have to live with Kelley’s few carries a game as he spells AD. Hopefully Kelley finds more room in future weeks than he did yesterday.

More room? There was one play where he broke through the offensive line, had wide open spaces to his left and right (just a single linebacker in front of him, five yards away) ... and he fell at the linebacker's feet.

At this point, I am going to assume that any play that involves Kelley touching the ball is a lost play.

Perine is the much more talented back but if either guy is only going to get 2-5 carries I'd rather just have Kelly in the game. I'm concerned with Perine making a crucial fumble. Now if Peterson misses a week for whatever reason I would rather have Perine be the starter.

Just now, rizzy said:

Perine is the much more talented back but if either guy is only going to get 2-5 carries I'd rather just have Kelly in the game. I'm concerned with Perine making a crucial fumble. Now if Peterson misses a week for whatever reason I would rather have Perine be the starter.

This is a fair point.

19 minutes ago, rizzy said:

I'd rather just throw the ball 2-5 times more per game than give any carries to Rob Kelley though.  

2 hours ago, rizzy said:

Beyond the ball security, I also think Kelley is a better pass blocker/knows the protections better and Kelley has played FB before in college. They used Kelley as FB on a few plays during the game, one series was a fake hand off and then Alex flipped it to Peterson for a big gain going the other direction. Form what I remember it was a big play.

That being said, I totally agree that Perine is a more talented runner but Gruden trusts Kelley more as a pass blocker and to not fumble. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'd rather just throw the ball 2-5 times more per game than give any carries to Rob Kelley though.  

Definitely! If we had 5 more pass attempts that went to Crowder, Thompson or Reed maybe one of those goes for more than 10 yards! ? 

Just now, turtle28 said:

Beyond the ball security, I also think Kelley is a better pass blocker/knows the protections better and Kelley has played FB before in college. They used Kelley as FB on a few plays during the game, one series was a fake hand off and then Alex flipped it to Peterson for a big gain going the other direction. Form what I remember it was a big play.

That being said, I totally agree that Perine is a more talented runner but Gruden trusts Kelley more as a pass blocker and to not fumble. 

If Kelley is going to be a blocker, fine. If there are plays being called where he is intentionally supposed to touch the ball, that play should be removed from the playbook.

39 minutes ago, Woz said:

If Kelley is going to be a blocker, fine. If there are plays being called where he is intentionally supposed to touch the ball, that play should be removed from the playbook.

Agreed, but I doubt that happens. I think he’s going to continue to get 2-5 carries a game as he spells AD and probably some passes thrown his way too.

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Off-topic, but, does anyone know if we have team control over Guice for an extra year due to his injury?  Does he now hit FA the same year as Payne?  This is something I feel like @Woz might know.

I don’t think so. I would think this counts as an accrued season, but I could be wrong.

Archived