How To Manage Adrian Peterson? (UPDATE: Who Cares, He’s Superhuman)

e16bball

9 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Off-topic, but, does anyone know if we have team control over Guice for an extra year due to his injury?  Does he now hit FA the same year as Payne?  This is something I feel like @Woz might know.

Bengals tried to do this to AJ McCarron, he and the NFLPA sued and won.  I would assume that would set precedent that you can’t get an extra year.

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Give him 20-25 carries a game and just ride it out. If he breaks down, he breaks down. Our long term solution is recovering from an injury and there’s almost no chance Peterson is back with the team next year. 

If Wash does that then they're stuck with Rob Kelly as the feature back (shudder).  AD is effective in small doses like a spice; over using him would be like a garlic milkshake.  The trio of him, Chris Thompson, and Perrine should keep the running game on par.  And fingers crossed The Skins may need him around to work horse Peterson in the playoffs.

43 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

If Wash does that then they're stuck with Rob Kelly as the feature back (shudder).  AD is effective in small doses like a spice; over using him would be like a garlic milkshake.  The trio of him, Chris Thompson, and Perrine should keep the running game on par.  And fingers crossed The Skins may need him around to work horse Peterson in the playoffs.

Bring in Orleans Darkwa. Guy that can eat 75-100 carries over the course of the year (even if it’s just garbage time) and we don’t have to worry about fumbling (Perine) or 0 effectiveness (Kelly)

22 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Bring in Orleans Darkwa. Guy that can eat 75-100 carries over the course of the year (even if it’s just garbage time) and we don’t have to worry about fumbling (Perine) or 0 effectiveness (Kelly)

Darkwa wasn’t even as humble as the future hall of famer we signed. Darkwa wanted the starting gig given to him and we wouldn’t agree to that so he didn’t sign. He’s not going to be here.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It really shouldn’t matter. If Guice plays great over the next few years he’ll be re-signed. If he plays well, he’ll be a career long Redskin.

Leveon Bell is the best RB in football, he’s not going to get a 2nd contract with them. RBs aren’t worth extending in the modern nfl.

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Leveon Bell is the best RB in football, he’s not going to get a 2nd contract with them. RBs aren’t worth extending in the modern nfl.

Sure they are if you have the cap space and don’t have a QB making top dollar. Le’Veon Bell is worth as much money as a good starting QB. He’s only 26, so he’ll still be great through his second contract. Wherever he goes he’ll instantly make that team better and greatly improve their rushing attack and their passing attack because he’s a good receiver too and teams will stack the box to stop him. The Steelers actually line Bell up at WR sometimes and get him 1 on 1 vs a LB or SS which creates a huge mismatch.

IMO the absence of Le’Veon Bell on Sunday did affect the Steelers. It didn’t affect the rushing attack because Conner still did well behind their good OL but the box wasn’t stacked with 8 defenders to stop him which meant the Browns were able to focus more on coverage and stopping Ben/Brown and Ju-Ju.

No one is going to convince me that a running back who accounts for 1,950 combined rushing and receiving yards and 11 TDs in 15 games isn’t worth what a good QB or a great WR makes. Put it this way, OBJ is not more valuable than Le’Veon Bell.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sure they are if you have the cap space and don’t have a QB making top dollar. Le’Veon Bell is worth as much money as a good starting QB. He’s only 26, so he’ll still be great through his second contract. Wherever he goes he’ll instantly make that team better and greatly improve their rushing attack and their passing attack because he’s a good receiver too and teams will stack the box to stop him. The Steelers actually line Bell up at WR sometimes and get him 1 on 1 vs a LB or SS which creates a huge mismatch.

I am not paying LeVeon Bell or any RB good QB money. I wouldn't want to give any non QB that kind of money. There's a reason why Gurley, with his big contract, is like 40th or so. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I am not paying LeVeon Bell or any RB good QB money. I wouldn't want to give any non QB that kind of money. There's a reason why Gurley, with his big contract, is like 40th or so. 

Maybe we have a different definition of “good QB money,” notice I didn’t say, “Great or Elite QB money.” I’m not up for paying a player that isn’t a QB $20 million plus a year.

But, you can’t convince me for one second that Bell isn’t more valuable than OBJ or a highly paid CB like Norman or pass rusher like Von Miller or a pro bowl LT. Most teams need two guys to = what Bell does. 

As for comparing Gurley to Bell, Gurley is as good of a runner as Bell, but he can’t touch Bell’s versatility and production as a reviving threat especially in the slot or split out wide. People really sleep on how much Bell can do for a football team.

Bell is certainly worth $14 to 18 million a year which is in the ball park of what Gurley will make except in the first year of his new deal.

If I’m the Colts and the Steelers make Bell available for trade if he still hasn’t shown up for a few more weeks, I’d definitely trade for him like the Bears traded for Mack and I’d give Bell the contract extension the Steelers should’ve already given him. 

I’ll be intrigued to see where the answers come out on this after this weekend. Or after the Packers game, since I think the Colts’ run defense is probably soft enough that AD and the OL will still shred them even if he’s only at 80-90%. 

I really think it’s not a coincidence that we saw his performance dip substantially (and quickly) with over-work and under-recuperation last year with ARI. When he’s fresh, he’s still great, but it’s the “wearing down” and “bouncing back quickly” aspects where the age starts to show. It’s the same reason why we saw aging sluggers using (and succeeding tremendously with) PEDs in baseball — it was never so much about getting stronger as it was about having the ability to stay strong over the course of a long and grueling season. 

AD and I are the same age, and I know from my personal experiences playing ball that I can still go pretty good when I step out on the court and get geared up and turn it loose. I can keep up with younger guys, no problem. But the next day? Hell, much of the next week these days? I’m aching and wincing and limping all over the place. Couldn’t drag me back on the court with a cattle prod a few days later. 

And it’s not even just sports — I know you guys who sip the potent potables know what I’m talking about. Can still go hard for a night out or a bachelor party or whatever, but the youthful bounce-back isn’t there anymore. At 22, you could have a long night and, after a Gatorade and a breakfast sandwich, be fine and ready to go strong again the next night. Put a few more years under your belt and after that same night out, you’re on the couch until dinner time watching the Indiana Jones marathon and praying that death will just come for you already.

The body’s ability to recover and repair itself is one of the first things that starts to go with age. I think that’s where AD is, and I think that’s why his terrible performances last year came after quick turnarounds and consecutive weeks of full workloads. He’s still got it when he’s fresh (26 for 134 yards and 37 for 159 yards when he had two weeks rest) — but it’s the bounce-back that just isn’t there anymore (35 for 55 yards in the two games in ten days following the 37 carry game). 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:00 AM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Off-topic, but, does anyone know if we have team control over Guice for an extra year due to his injury?  Does he now hit FA the same year as Payne?  This is something I feel like @Woz might know.

No, a year on IR counts as an accrued season.

Which is why I think it’s sorta short-sighted to just keep running him out there handing him the ball two dozen times until his body breaks down. 

I don’t think it’s one of those things where he’ll be great right up until he inevitably gets hurt. I think he will wear down more gradually (and more quickly) than that. I think you’ll see him at something like 85% this week and then 70% the week after that, that sort of wearing down.

If you manage it properly, similar to how MKnight laid it out in the first reply, I think you could potentially get 12 games of pretty good Adrian Peterson (barring serious injury, which is always a risk). And have him with a bit left in the tank if we make the playoffs. If you keep running him out there every week with a 20 carry workload, there is a (virtually) 0% chance that he will be around for the closing weeks of the season and the playoffs. It would be probably the most historic RB season ever. 

It’s not that I want to sit him out for entire games — I just think we have to. I know he won’t want to. But there’s some recent precedent for resting players in the NBA in recent years, and obviously in MLB with how they deploy pitchers (starters every five days, relievers no more than 2-3 consecutive days). Tell him you’re giving him the LeBron James treatment.

And while it would be disappointing going into a game knowing that the run game will be intentionally leaning on Kelley/Perine, I’d rather have that for a couple (hand-selected) individual games than forced on us for half the season or more. Plus, once Guice got hurt, we thought we were going into the season with Kelley/Perine anyway — so if you think of it as getting to choose 12 bonus games of Adrian Peterson instead of being stuck with 4 games without Adrian Peterson, maybe that makes it more palatable?

Archived