Week 1 Thoughts

deeluxx3

Man. When it rains, it pours...amirite?!?!

Yesterday was one of the worst days as a fan I've ever had. And there's been some terrible days. Losing Delanie is devastating, but let's see how the team responds.

It's tough to even react to yesterday's game. The game never got into a rhythm due to the delays, so I'm not too frustrated with how bad we looked at times. Obviously, we need to learn how to tackle again and we still can't cover short on D. I liked our O the first two drives, but running on first down over and over even though we got stonewalled was frustrating.

It's going to take time and I'm trying to not get too down over one bad game. But it's going to soon get to the point where Marcus decides what type of player and QB he's going to be. I commend his toughness for trying to play through the injury..and I think his INTs were a direct cause of it...but his accuracy needs to be better. Also felt like he easily could've ran in for a TD on the 3rd down play before we got stopped on 4th. He's too smart to be making as many frustrating decisions as he does. Something isn't adding up with him. Let's see how he progresses over the year (and if he can stay healthy for once).

Offensively I thought Dion and Corey both played very well. We don’t even make it a game without Dion so I’m glad we brought him in. I thought the o-line also played well. Hard to ask them to do any better than they did without Conklin and then Lewan for a half. It would have been easy for them to lose focus with the hours worth of lightning delays but they held strong. Outside of the 1st quarter, the communication between the receiever and quarterback is still off - something I think most of us saw coming from the preseason. It needs to be better in order for us to win. Outside of Henry’s shoulda been 60 yard TD, he was ineffective and Dion looked to be the much better runner. We need Henry to be a lot better than 2.6 ypc. In comparison, Dion averaged 4.7 ypc.

Defensively it basically boiled down to a big play by Stills and in the 2nd quarter, getting man-handled in the run game. We made Gore look like he was in his prime, but I think we bottled up Drake pretty well for the most part. Our pass rush was invisible. Morgan was invisible. Casey was invisible aside from like one play. Orakpo wasn’t even mentioned aside from breaking his shoe...I know they were throwing a lot of quick passes but the 3 best players in our front 7 cant have the performance they had yesterday if we’re going to be a good defense. As for the secondary, I already mentioned the big play by Stills given up by Butler, but the other play that stands out to me is the missed tackle by Adoree on the sideline that led to another big gain. Just need to wrap guys up while we got the chance. Plays like that can’t happen. I thought Vacarro played well and had a nice interception. Butler himself also had a great and timely interception so while we were able to force turnovers, the offense just gave too many away which helped seal our fate.

As for special teams, the kickoff return for a touchdown was a back breaker. Personally, I don’t mind just booting it out of the end zone. Give it to them at the 25 who cares. But, we did have a kickoff return for a touchdown of our own. That was really nice by Jennings.

Overall, that was the weirdest and most awful game (day?) of football I’ve ever experienced in my life. 7 hours in total, 4 hours of lightning delays, security running down kids trespassing on to the field, 2 kick off returns for touchdowns, our 3 biggest offensive stars all go down and can’t finish the game - 1 of which is out for the year, a great run by Henry called back for a penalty committed by the other team....just an atrocious and bizarre game. And yet, if just one of those big plays go our way, whether it be the phantom holding call, the touchdown by Stills, or the kickoff return for a touchdown, we are at the very least heading in to overtime. On to Houston.

I did like how much we looked to get Corey the ball early in the game. Hope that's a sign of things to come. That said, would love more downfield targets rather than try to trust him to get big YAC on short passes. He's a physical freak, but he's too much of a long strider to rely on him to constantly pick up YAC so close to the LOS

I think looking at a positives aspect, the o-line was incredible in pass pro. Not a single QB hit allowed, and Dennis Kelly surprisingly shut Cameron Wake down, and even after Lewan went down Pamphile did well against Quinn. Those two are no jokes when it comes to pass rush. The Dolphins don't really have much of an interior pass rush with Suh gone, but Spain, Jones and Kline all did what they were supposed to do and held up well. Vrabel complimented Jones on how well he called the protections in the game.

The run defense in the second half came out of nowhere. After getting absolutely abused in the first half I wasn't sure what the hell we were gonna do against the run but it was much better in the 2nd half. Adoree had some struggles in the first half but outside of him I liked the play of our secondary(Butler did get burned on the Stills TD, but managed to recover pretty well. Perfect pass by Tannehill and great catch by Stills as Butler raked at his arms made the recovery pointless though.) Vaccarro played a better game than I expected. Defense all around played well, considering we gave the ball to the Dolphins in our territory twice and allowed a special teams TD, the defense didn't allow much, and that was with Morgan only playing a handful of snaps and obviously no Landry or Evans. Assuming we figured out whatever the hell was wrong with our run defense to start the game, our D looks like it could be really solid, especially when(If? lol) it gets back to full health.

Looking at the biggest supposed negative from the game, I don't really think Marcus was as bad as people are claiming. If Taywan catches the TD early in the game the conversation we're having is much different. Ball placement could have and should have been better on some throws that did end up getting completed, but you'll obviously take that over them being incomplete altogether. Both INTs came after losing feeling in his hand so I have no real idea how much to blame them on that or what. I do think on the screen pass INT it should have just been thrown in to the dirt regardless. The Dolphins read it well, even a well placed pass by Marcus means the play just goes for no gain at best. Maybe he thought Dion could make the guy miss, but I doubt it. Wasn't blocked well at all either.

Before his injury Marcus just seemed a little too hesitant on some of his throws which led to those under throws and being late on what should've been a Delanie TD. I'll go ahead and chalk that up to him just not being comfortable in the new offense yet. I'm starting to have overarching concerns about his injuries though.  As special as I've always thought he could be as a player, and as badly as I want him to be our guy going forward, it's going to be really difficult for us to commit to him long term if he keeps getting nicked every week. As much as I've defended him on here through bad offensive schemes that I still think hindered his development early on, the injury bug is just something that can't be ignored when we evaluate what decision to make on him going forward. I hope that he starts next week and plays the rest of the season injury free, but it feels like an all too familiar trend and something that I'm afraid we'll always be talking about when it comes to him.

Honestly, Pamphile was probably the most surprising development. The fact that our backup guard wasn't a total disaster at tackle against a quality pass rusher is not something I would've predicted. 

Dion Lewis was our best player yesterday. Runs incredibly hard for a back his size and seems to bounce off tackles. 

Pass rush was absolutely invisible. Hopefully, Morgan is getting closer to 100% and Landry can be back in the next week or two. We have a solid secondary, but we're not winning games if the opposing quarterback has all day to sit back. Granted, Miami's offense featured a lot of screens and quick passes, but you've got to occasionally hit the quarterback.

I hate the NFL.

Missed tackles were killers. On that 98 yard drive, we had an opportunity to force them to punt inside their own 25 and missed and failed to make the play. That was a huge momentum swing.

I think Luke Stocker is going to get a ton of reps moving forward. Delanie's blocking has always been an underappreciated aspect of his game, he could be left on the field in pretty much every situation. Jonnu will need to be hidden on run downs.

More quick passes on first down, less runs. 

Be better. This season could get away from us quickly. The Texans aren't a must-win, but if you come out of the gates 0-3 overall and 0-2 in the division, it's going to be an incredibly tough ask to bounce back.

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Question from what I'm reading online. 

Where are people getting the impression that Vrabel was over his head coaching?  Because he went for it on 4th down?

Bad challenge, team as a whole was underwhelming. The thing with a head coach is that it's obviously impossible to know what decisions are his and what are the coordinators (outside of challenges and timeouts). The defensive system looked a lot like what Pees was criticized for in Baltimore with the soft, off-man and zone coverage which is what led to so many short passes. He was known for the "bend, but don't break" strategy and we saw a lot of that yesterday. The entire gameplan before the first delay of leaving six in the box and getting demolished up front was flawed to begin with when you realize that Gase likes to run the ball and use a lot of screens and quick passes to set up shots down field. To his/Pees credit, they did make some changes, but those are things that should've been prepared a month ago, you're not going to get two hours to rework your gameplan every Sunday.

I'm not going to say he was over in his head, but I'll say I wasn't blown away by the gameplans heading into Week 1 on either side of the ball. Fortunately the defense had that break to make some adjustments, and obviously once MM got hurt, that pretty much ended any hope of effective offensive changes. But coming out six in a box and daring Miami to run it was a bad move and continuously trying to establish the run game, despite having success with the quick passing game early in drives, probably cost us a few drives by forcing us to play behind the chains.

There were definite flashes of quality play concepts, interesting formations and modern football on offense. They were just sandwiched between too much of the old playbook for my liking. Defensively, I think I'll just have to accept that Pees is what he is and that we're going to surrender yards this year. Makes finding a pass rush all the more important.

Too predictable on offense in the first session...ran on first down too often and were left with 3rd and long too much. No quick slants or 5 wide rythem passing opportunities. We need to eliminate that particular screen that MM throws a pick on every time, where he fakes and then just turns and throws regardless of the LB standing there. 

I felt like early our Def did not respect their offense which is why they gashed us on the run and we played super soft coverage.

As far as Vrabel, I think in his press conference today he made some errors...basically said oh well the Lewan hit was clean, the holding by Walker...there is holding every play, the hit on Marcus...legal, we will start doing the same thing. Basically just didn't understand that the press conf is where you stick up for your guys. Also the bad challenge, team was not prepared enough...aka...wasted time outs, and seemed to get after Walker after the holding call instead of backing him up, and perhaps his handling of Marcus yesterday. Not that I agree that he is or isn't over his head but possible reason for that sort of talk. Too early to make any judgements. 

I'm convinced that this fanbase (similar to other teams) will never be happy with their coaches, play calling or game plan. 

I came to that conclusion a while ago but it is even more clear now. 

Not saying any of y'all points aren't valid, but I'm not in agreement with the feeling towards the coaches. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

I'm convinced that this fanbase (similar to other teams) will never be happy with their coaches, play calling or game plan. 

I came to that conclusion a while ago but it is even more clear now. 

Not saying any of y'all points aren't valid, but I'm not in agreement with the feeling towards the coaches. 

this isn't complicated. fans are happy with winning. lol

Archived