GDT: Week 2 Patriots head to the Jungle

Deadpulse

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

agreed. 

You also have to look at the reason why the Patriots have only won 2 SB's since the 2004 win and a lot has to do with not having an 03/04 caliber type defense. I know the 2003 unit struggled in the regular season shootout against Indy, and the second half of the SB win over Carolina but they played good complimentary football.

They got back closer to complimentary football in 14 & 16 and hence won 2 SB's but all the other years the defense have been a major culprit as to why to SB trophy was hoisted. I know 5 trophies were hoisted but it could easily have been 5 more if not for an unreliable defense. Also I don't just blame the defense for the lost trophies as the offense played it's part as well.

So;

- We cannot cover crossing routes. 4 of the last 6 games (PIT, JAX x2, PHI) have all murdered us on crossing routes, and we can't do anything about it. We have proven we cannot stop them (especially on third down). Noticed this against Pittsburgh with their relentless crossing routes with JuJu and AB. We (Harmon) made one big stop, but the rest were easy pickings. It hasn't been rectified. We have a glaring weakness, and teams have found it out. 

- Dont'a Hightower. So far he looks like he's running with a refrigerator on his back. He really needs to step up because this D can't afford to have an empty jersey where a Hightower used to be. 

- Secondary were pretty horrid. Chung poor, McCourtey got juked out of his socks, and McCourtey the 2nd was about 8 steps behind Cole on that pass. Not good enough. Oh an Rowe was just brutalised, that's why he was dropped but had to come back in, and continued to get brutalised. Not good enough.

We may well blow DET out, this may well be our one loss in 6 games or something - but we do have that glaring weakness. 

With the above said, I'm not worried about this team at all. Us and the Jags are at different stages - they are hungry, well set and were pumped - we take a while to get into seasons these days. I'm 100% Bill sees Sept as an extension to the pre-season. We've looked pretty mediocre in Sept for a few seasons now (including SB winning seasons).

If anyone is panicking now, they need to consider following something else, because sport doesn't work like that. I get that it's hard to take in the moment, but take a leaf out of Bill's book - you never see him panic, do you. Even when getting a hammering, he's working out how to solve problems - a few of you need to work out how to solve your problems. Think logically. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So;

- We cannot cover crossing routes. 4 of the last 6 games (PIT, JAX x2, PHI) have all murdered us on crossing routes, and we can't do anything about it. We have proven we cannot stop them (especially on third down). Noticed this against Pittsburgh with their relentless crossing routes with JuJu and AB. We (Harmon) made one big stop, but the rest were easy pickings. It hasn't been rectified. We have a glaring weakness, and teams have found it out. 

- Dont'a Hightower. So far he looks like he's running with a refrigerator on his back. He really needs to step up because this D can't afford to have an empty jersey where a Hightower used to be. 

- Secondary were pretty horrid. Chung poor, McCourtey got juked out of his socks, and McCourtey the 2nd was about 8 steps behind Cole on that pass. Not good enough. Oh an Rowe was just brutalised, that's why he was dropped but had to come back in, and continued to get brutalised. Not good enough.

We may well blow DET out, this may well be our one loss in 6 games or something - but we do have that glaring weakness. 

Honestly I most concerned about McCourty and Hightower. They have 20 million or so covered up in cap room and need to perform accordingly. 

Archived