Goodness Gracious- DE Issues

BarryTheBest

Yo!

Not new to the forms but never had my login info changed over and someone took my old name. So the artist formely known as Mikatron! is now BarryTheBest.. wont be mad if most don't remember me as I didn't post nearly as much as I should have.

With that out of the way... we seem to have a huge problem on our hands with our DE rotation. Not only do we lack significant play makers, but half the guys left are injured. When Hyder went down, I knew right away that it was severe and probably a blown Achilles, as I am sure many who watched thought the same. Add to this that Ansah has been hurt for basically an entire year and we cannot in any manner depend on our only play maker left. We have some guys who project well and young guys with some talent (it seems) but little in the way of experience or polish. 

Now I am very confident in Austin re-working the defense enough to keep us competitive, and I like what we have built in the back seven pending the development of the young guys. But we still need to address the DE with a veteran who has proven it over some time, while also offering the continued veteran leadership to help our young guys along. 

What to do;

Sign Mario Williams.

Mario obviously doesn't have the same physical tools he once did, but he still has something left in the tank I am sure of. He has been pretty consistent throughout the years barring a few years along the way. As I recall, he has always been a good teammate and has represented his team well off the field.

Along with the Williams signing, we keep the two best out of the top three rookie DEs we have as they have shown a bit of promise (Valoaga, Barrett, and Connor- Correct on names?). Valoaga gives us the dimensions we like, Barrett gives us the 3rd down speed rusher, and Conner is young and seems to have a great motor (secretly hoping he becomes a Bosa for us- wishful thinking I am sure). Add in Ansah, Lucas, Williams,and whoever else, and we have at least a decent DE rotation.

What are your thoughts?

The team should definitely try to add some depth there. Hopefully someone like Zettel steps up, but you can't count on it. DE already seemed like a potential weakness before Hyder got hurt. Now it could be a massive hole for the team. 

22 minutes ago, ahoda said:

Mario Williams hasn't been effective since the 2014 season.  I'd rather role with rookie DEs with something to proove.   That's just me though.

I agree with this, although I wouldn't mind keeping our eyes peeled for guys who get cut to potentially fill in.  I don't think there is much available at the moment that would be an improvement but there may be some situational guys that get cut or could be available for trade.

14 hours ago, ahoda said:

Mario Williams hasn't been effective since the 2014 season.  I'd rather role with rookie DEs with something to proove.   That's just me though.

I totally want to keep as many of the young guys with something to prove as well. But, I do think we should add a veteran to our de rotation. Not for the sake of it, but as long as we find merit in the move. 

I sit think Mario can give us 6-8 sacks on a pitch count and provide veteran leadership in the process.

11 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I totally want to keep as many of the young guys with something to prove as well. But, I do think we should add a veteran to our de rotation. Not for the sake of it, but as long as we find merit in the move. 

I sit think Mario can give us 6-8 sacks on a pitch count and provide veteran leadership in the process.

He's not much of a leader, though. 

2 hours ago, LionsFTW said:

He's not much of a leader, though. 

In what regard?

He may not be a vocal leader, but there are other ways... Leading by example through hard work and dedication to your craft come to mind. I do not recall ever reading anything to suggest Mario doesn't work hard at his craft. Then again, its not as it if I have read every Mario Williams article ever though.

8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

In what regard?

He may not be a vocal leader, but there are other ways... Leading by example through hard work and dedication to your craft come to mind. I do not recall ever reading anything to suggest Mario doesn't work hard at his craft. Then again, its not as it if I have read every Mario Williams article ever though.

He gave up on the Bills. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 8:18 PM, Lionized said:

Patriots just released kony ealy. Thoughts on picking up him more competition never hurts and he's only 25.

I was hoping Lions would have traded a 6th/7th round pick for him so I would be very open to signing him now for free.

48 minutes ago, ahoda said:

I was hoping Lions would have traded a 6th/7th round pick for him so I would be very open to signing him now for free.

Jets claimed him. He wouldn't have helped much, he isn't that great. There's a reason why the Panthers basically gave him to the Patriots for free and why the Patriots literally did give him away for free. He had like one good game but has been bad outside of that.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Jets claimed him. He wouldn't have helped much, he isn't that great. There's a reason why the Panthers basically gave him to the Patriots for free and why the Patriots literally did give him away for free. He had like one good game but has been bad outside of that.

Didn't know Jets picked him up.  Thought he was a FA.....oops.

Our DLine is not very good imo so I would love all the competition we could get.

Archived