Top 10 General Managers

stl4life07

On 9/12/2018 at 9:57 PM, Bolts223 said:

That's a little bit of a half truth.

Bill Belichick as a head coach has done all of those things. Sometimes I feel like Belichick the HC bails out Belichick the GM.

How do you  prove What’s BB the coach and what’s BB the GM? 

For example If any other gm selects a guy in the 4th round who turns out to be an all pro we credit the gms eye for talent. When BB does it his eye for talent doesn’t get credit. The narrative becomes that guy still sucks it’s just his system that’s making him look good 

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

How do you  prove What’s BB the coach and what’s BB the GM? 

For example If any other gm selects a guy in the 4th round who turns out to be an all pro we credit the gms eye for talent. When BB does it his eye for talent doesn’t get credit. The narrative becomes that guy still sucks it’s just his system that’s making him look good 

I don’t think it’s that. But if you look at any of the Patriots rosters during the Brady/Belichick era, none of them besides the 07 team were particularly loaded with talent. Let me put it this way: How would you feel about having Belichick as your GM, but say Sean Payton as your head coach. Belichick as a GM works very well for the Patriots because Belichick the coach can go out and get players that he knows he as a coach can utilize in some capacity. No communication is needed because Belichick knows what Belichick wants. But if Belichick was asked to go assemble a talented team to fit someone else’s system, I’m not sure how great he would be at that.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:28 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

You know what happens when teams get so successful for so long? They lose players. Whether that is due to age, contracts, injuries, etc......it always happens. That's the downfall for being successful. Not every team are the Patriots with a coach who can plug and play.That's not how the NFL works.

Seattle was dominate until they paid Wilson.  When your QB isn't taking a chunk of your cap you can afford to go out and assemble desirable FAs, etc.

8 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I don’t think it’s that. But if you look at any of the Patriots rosters during the Brady/Belichick era, none of them besides the 07 team were particularly loaded with talent. Let me put it this way: How would you feel about having Belichick as your GM, but say Sean Payton as your head coach. Belichick as a GM works very well for the Patriots because Belichick the coach can go out and get players that he knows he as a coach can utilize in some capacity. No communication is needed because Belichick knows what Belichick wants. But if Belichick was asked to go assemble a talented team to fit someone else’s system, I’m not sure how great he would be at that.

The goal of a gm is not to “load” a team with talent. It’s to build  a team that goes deep into January and wins championships. Maybe the patriots talent has been underrated and the talent of those “loaded” teams that miss the playoffs or lose in round one is massively overrated. I like how you bring up the 2007 team which was probably the most Talented but didn’t actually bring home the trophy 

I wouldn’t  want Sean Payton as my head coach because he doesn’t care about defense and is terrible with clock management/in game decisions 

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

The goal of a gm is not to “load” a team with talent. It’s to build  a team that goes deep into January and wins championships. Maybe the patriots talent has been underrated and the talent of those “loaded” teams that miss the playoffs or lose in round one is massively overrated. I like how you bring up the 2007 team which was probably the most Talented but didn’t actually bring home the trophy 

I wouldn’t  want Sean Payton as my head coach because he doesn’t care about defense and is terrible with clock management/in game decisions 

This is my point though. Belichick is a good GM for Belichick the head coach because Belichick the head coach knows exactly how he would use certain players to fit his system or his scheme.

If Belichick was a pure GM that had to put together a team for a very average coach (Which is why I used Sean Payton as my example) I'm not sure these coaches would be able to utilize the skill sets of these players like Belichick can.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:23 AM, Rockice_8 said:

BB is such a terrible GM for the most part. xD

His 1st rounders are largely busts

and the overall team he has is nowhere near the tops in terms of talent.  Got to give him credit though because he found TB who is an all time great.  I think he should get more credit for his coaching and TB then his GM skills but whatever he's doing it's working so who am I to judge. - Apparently you think you're good enough to judge that he's a "terrible GM."

The point of the general manager position is to build a team that will work well with the team's coaching strategies and make the playoffs and succeed. Bill's done that more than anybody else really ever. He's always building the team with guys that aren't great but who he knows will do well in the system. Sure, that's a credit to his coaching, but his job as the GM is to build that team accordingly.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't see why anyone would have Ozzie Newsome in their top 10, let alone top 5 after the past 5 years.

I mean, we're not evaluating running backs. I don't think GM is a job where you sharply decline. I would take a GM's full career as valid data points. Naturally a GM that built two SB champions over a decade apart is top 10 for me.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

I mean, we're not evaluating running backs. I don't think GM is a job where you sharply decline. I would take a GM's full career as valid data points. Naturally a GM that built two SB champions over a decade apart is top 10 for me.

Why is it any different for GMs than HCs?

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why is it any different for GMs than HCs?

It's not.

I'm not one of those Ravens' fans that's crying for John Harbaugh's job because it's been 5 whole years since he won a SB, and 3 years since he won a playoff game. His entire career has to factor in. He didn't become a worse coach.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It's not.

I'm not one of those Ravens' fans that's crying for John Harbaugh's job because it's been 5 whole years since he won a SB, and 3 years since he won a playoff game. His entire career has to factor in. He didn't become a worse coach.

You got it backwards. There are plenty of HCs who were successful in one decade and unsuccessful in the next. The game changes. Some people adapt. Some people don't.

Archived