Week 2 Ravens @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

I think the decision to cut Iloka and start Bates has worked out well so far.

Also, Austin has already made a huge difference on defense.  They've had some issues for sure, but they've already created 5 turnovers (3 picks, 2 fumble recoveries) for a +3 turnover differential.  They were -9 last year (11 picks, 2 fumble recoveries).

Let that sink in.  Through two games, they already have as many fumble recoveries as they had last year, and only need 8 more turnovers to match last years total.

28 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think the decision to cut Iloka and start Bates has worked out well so far.

Also, Austin has already made a huge difference on defense.  They've had some issues for sure, but they've already created 5 turnovers (3 picks, 2 fumble recoveries) for a +3 turnover differential.  They were -9 last year (11 picks, 2 fumble recoveries).

Let that sink in.  Through two games, they already have as many fumble recoveries as they had last year, and only need 8 more turnovers to match last years total.

And Dre has also let three or four thru his hands already.  Definitely a new feel for the defense

22 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I still don’t know how Dre and Bates missed those two picks 

the Bates miss was huge.  If he tries to catch that with his hands and not his body, he at least deflects the pass.

I don't expect Dre to catch any picks, honestly.

20 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Any news on Kirkpatrick, Price and Williams?

I thought i heard Dre's injury was just cramps.

Price i'm curious about too.  They really can't afford to lose any linemen.

I didn't even know Williams was hurt.

19 minutes ago, theJ said:

I thought i heard Dre's injury was just cramps.

Price i'm curious about too.  They really can't afford to lose any linemen.

I didn't even know Williams was hurt.

Price I believe is a sprained ankle. 

Michael Johnson sprained his MCL so he will miss the most time

the rest were cramps I believe 

41 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

So I was only able to watch highlights.  Did we turtle after going up 3 TDs or just stop being able to execute. 

Mixon got hurt and we couldn't run the ball.  He came back in late in the game though.  Redmond killed one drive with a holding penalty, a couple dropped passes killed another drive, and I think there was a little puckering up as well.

37 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

So I was only able to watch highlights.  Did we turtle after going up 3 TDs or just stop being able to execute. 

Honestly - and I don't like pinning this as an excuse - but the refs made it a game for Baltimore. After our fourth down stop with about a 1:20 in the half we made the decision to go for the throat at midfield and try to put more points up before the half;  which is a refreshing decision I liked considering Lewis' ultra-conservative nature. We went three and out on three passes and left over a minute on the clock. To which Baltimore received an absolute gift of a PI flag to pin us on our own goal line. It was a call which both announcers and even Mike Pereira denounced. It was essentially gifting them 7 points for an absolutely dreadful call.

Also, their first touchdown was another bogus PI call on Dennard on 3rd and 5 on the goal line.

In the end it's on the team to keep it together and finish the game, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier if they weren't so aided by 2 huge calls costing us 14 points. 

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

I definitely saw that bad pi call. Ref was right there,  no excuse for that one.  But we never get calls. I think it has to do with being a smaller fanbase. Just have to play through it and leave no wiggle room. 

Classic call that keeps one team in the game to avoid a blowout and lost viewership.  Both PIs that led to scores when we were up big were like that, and thrown by officials on the other side of the field, when nearby officials didn't call it

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Classic call that keeps one team in the game to avoid a blowout and lost viewership.  Both PIs that led to scores when we were up big were like that, and thrown by officials on the other side of the field, when nearby officials didn't call it

As i was tracking the game last night, i couldn't help but think about your post earlier this week.  I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but some of the missed calls for the Bengals and some the weak calls against them last night were hard to ignore.

Plus the same thing happened last week.

I'm not sure if there's a betting conspiracy or not, but i am convinced that referees are very aware of who the players are receiving and getting calls.  I'm absolutely convinced that a all-pro tackle like Joe Thomas was given the benefit of the doubt based on who he was, but guys like Andrew Whitworth didn't get that benefit of the doubt.

So likewise someone like Andy Dalton (or Cam Newton) may not get the roughing calls that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers would.

Archived