Week 2 Ravens @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

Since the Bengals are on short week

GAMEDAY INFO

The Bengals will play will host the Ravens Thursday night at 8:20 PM ET on the NFL Network.

HISTORY

Bengals are 14-8 when playing the Ravens in Cincinnati

Last matchup: 2017, Bengals win 31-27 in Baltimore
Last Ravens win: 2017, Ravens win 20-0 in Cincinnati
Last win in Cincinnati: 2016, Bengals win 27-10

5 KEYS TO VICTORY

5. Plan of attack - This one goes for the offense game plan. I felt based on the Colts game that the Bengals play calling on the offense could of been a lot smarter. Only giving Joe Mixon 6 rush attempts in the first half when he was playing so well was not a good start, and that was against a bad defense. Now here comes the Ravens who are very well known for having a sturdy defense, and they thrive on the 3 and outs. So in order to counter attack that defense, you get key first downs on 3rd downs if possible. Andy Dalton must play a big factor in this which I will get to later.

4. Limit Joe Flacco - Going into this game, I'm not 100 percent certain which Flacco we will see this game. It wasn't a total shock to see his good performance against the Bills, however he's not the same player he once was at this point and usually keeps his plays very simple. Then again, in the wake of Lamar Jackson, a fire has been lit under him in the offseason, and his week 1 performance could just be what is more to come for him. The best thing the Bengals can do is make sure he's not throwing for more than 10 yards per pass, sort of like a mimic performance against Andrew Luck but better.

3. Andy Dalton - Primetime games and Andy Dalton just don't seem to mix well. And while its rare, when he does perform well in a primetime game, it usually results in a win. Minus the first pass of the game, he played very good against the Colts despite the fact that I would of liked to see more from the offense. The best I can hope for though is for Dalton not to throw multiple INT's though since the Bengals track record in primetime games don't give me a lot of faith.

2. More OL Progress - Based on the stats from last game, you would figure that the OL has made some good strive so far. Compared to last year, this season is a big improvement, but its the saying of different players with the same problems. Alex Redmond and Bobby Hart are without a doubt the weak links to the team right now. Sadly even Billy Price could of been better because if you look back at the INT Dalton threw, Price was responsible for it. He's still a big upgrade over Bodine and wasn't as bad as Redmond and Hart, but 1st round picks him Price have to get better really quick.

1. Stop those TE's - It's been a problem for the Bengals for years, as they had lots of trouble stopping Doyle and Ebron in Week 1. Now the next guys they have to figure out to stop will be the Ravens TE's Nick Boyle and Max Williams, both whom had solid performances against the Bills. The starting WR's and new additions to the team Michael Crabtree and John Brown both looked solid as well, but I'm much more confident in the Bengals CB's at stopping there WR's than I am in the LB's stopping the TE's. Nick Vigil and Preston both had good games in Week 1, but there's a chance Brown will not play against the Ravens. Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson as expected struggled as they split time as the 3rd LB spot. Stopping Joe Flacco's perfered targets which are the TE's will be the key.

PREDICTION

Will also post later

I've noticed a slight pattern when it comes to the Bengals wins in primetime games, they win convincingly by at least double digits. When its close, they always lose. The last time they won a close game by 7 points or less in primetime? Ironically it was against the Ravens, which was also the last time they played them in a primetime game in Cincinnati which was 2007. Can the curse break finally? I will say yes

Ravens 16 Bengals 20

"EXPERT PICKS"

TheVillian112: Bengals 20-17
johndeere1707: Bengals 17-16
Futbudds: Bengals 20-12
INbengalfan: Bengals 24-23
theJ: Ravens 16-15

This is a tough one. History on Thursday night isn’t too friendly. This seems like one of those ugly both teams just try to run the ball type of games. I can’t not predict a win, but I don’t feel extremely confident either, especially with the way Baltimore’s offense seemed a little more explosive than normal (even though it was BUF).

CIN- 17

BAL- 16

10 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

The Bengals will play will host the Ravens Thursday night at 8:20 PM ET on the NFL Network.

Can someone explain why the NFL is simulcasting almost every TNF game except the "crappy" teams?  This week, then next week's Jets/Browns, then everything is simulcast until the end of the season.

I don't think the Bengals have ever had a simulcast game, have they?

25 minutes ago, theJ said:

Can someone explain why the NFL is simulcasting almost every TNF game except the "crappy" teams?  This week, then next week's Jets/Browns, then everything is simulcast until the end of the season.

I don't think the Bengals have ever had a simulcast game, have they?

It’s annoying for sure 

32 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

It’s annoying for sure 

Beyond annoying.  It's like the NFL conspires to keep them off the air.  I bet they make more money off Bengals fans than Cowboys fans with Sunday Ticket and other premium services like that.

I get why, but i don't have to like it.

4 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

This is a tough one. History on Thursday night isn’t too friendly. This seems like one of those ugly both teams just try to run the ball type of games. I can’t not predict a win, but I don’t feel extremely confident either, especially with the way Baltimore’s offense seemed a little more explosive than normal (even though it was BUF).

CIN- 17

BAL- 16

For us to have any chance in this game, our DL will need to dominate.  If not, it will probably be a long night...

One thing I noticed last week was Michael Johnson played a lot of snaps. Hopefully they lower his snaps and up Hubbard’s. 

I can only imagine Baltimore is going to use Indy’s blueprint of getting the ball out quick and attack the middle of the field, especially since Baltimore’s defense should be a lot tougher than Indy’s. 

4 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

One thing I noticed last week was Michael Johnson played a lot of snaps. Hopefully they lower his snaps and up Hubbard’s. 

I could be wrong, but my theory behind that is because Indy stayed in 2 TE sets most of the game, Cincy stayed in their base formation.  If they're in base, MJ is in unless it's a long 3rd down.

Did he play a lot inside on 3rd downs too?

Just now, theJ said:

I could be wrong, but my theory behind that is because Indy stayed in 2 TE sets most of the game, Cincy stayed in their base formation.  If they're in base, MJ is in unless it's a long 3rd down.

Did he play a lot inside on 3rd downs too?

You're right, but I think JD is also correct that in Base I expect Hubbard to see more snaps.  Austin mentioned getting him on the field more after the game...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

You're right, but I think JD is also correct that in Base I expect Hubbard to see more snaps.  Austin mentioned getting him on the field more after the game...

yeah i saw that comment from Austin and hope that comes true too.

MJ has always been a snap soaker though.  I guess we'll see...

Realized i hadn't made a prediction yet.

Ravens 16
Bengals 15

I think afterward we can call this the Bobby Hart game, and he'll be benched for the next sucker player lineman guy for week 3.  Redman holds on for one more week.

On the upshot, if the Bengals pull this one out, i think we will all be able to look back at this game later in the season as the game that defined this team.  Winning one against a good team in primetime.  Big potential confidence booster.

Archived