game question from newbie

stillgoing

there’s a particular kind of play that i like in football games but dont know how to describe it so i can search for video on youtube. basically it goes like this – a defending team gets the ball near their own endzone either thro a punt or interception orwhatever and a runner begins to run up field. as he goes his teammates surround him, running by his side, ready to repel tacklers. this kind of fencing by the runners teammates doesnt always happen in a return. most often a runner makes most of the yardage on their own. the best plays are the rare few where their is a pack of teammates around the runner and they make 3 or 4 blocks as he makes his way in for a TD. what wd you call that kind of play – with the fence of teammates running at speed with the ball carrier often down the touchline?

2 minutes ago, stillgoing said:

there’s a particular kind of play that i like in football games but dont know how to describe it so i can search for video on youtube. basically it goes like this – a defending team gets the ball near their own endzone either thro a punt or interception orwhatever and a runner begins to run up field. as he goes his teammates surround him, running by his side, ready to repel tacklers. this kind of fencing by the runners teammates doesnt always happen in a return. most often a runner makes most of the yardage on their own. the best plays are the rare few where their is a pack of teammates around the runner and they make 3 or 4 blocks as he makes his way in for a TD. what wd you call that kind of play – with the fence of teammates running at speed with the ball carrier often down the touchline?

This sounds like a sideline wedge on a punt return/kick return/interception return. Basically the ball carrier runs to the near sideline outside the numbers with a wall of blockers. It's not a play so much as a blocking scheme. Most programs teach this at about every level of the game.

sideline wedge - not something youtube has heard of unfortunately.

flying v not mentioned either. as was mentioned above what i'm describing isnt a play as such it's something that happens organically after a play breaks down

another Q - do stats people ever calculate the actual number of yards run on a long return instead of the yardage in a straight line? saw a 109yd return but he must have run 150 yards or more

Well it's not really a designed play, so you won't find videos of it classified under any name in particular. Just look up pick sixes or KR/PR TDs and a few of them are bound to involve what you describe. They definitely happen more often on INT return TDs due to the chaotic nature, defenders aren't coached to block so they just gravitate to the returner, as opposed to kick or punt returns where there's a guy they're tasked with blocking.

Just now, stillgoing said:

yes, seeing a fair bit of this on PR TDs but so far only seen the formation not repelling many tackles. will keep looking. do US audiences think a long TD return is the best thing to happen in a game or is there something better?

I would say that any non offensive TD is usually a pretty big deal. It's a huge momentum swing and it's not something that's usually "accounted for". Punt, Kickoff, and INT returns (not to mention FG/Punt blocks and Fumble Returns) are a rarity (they happen occasionally). Win % drastically improves when these things occur as well.

1 hour ago, stillgoing said:

green bay has a population of just over 100 000. it must be one of the smaller cities in the US. why then does it have twice as many posts in its forum here than any other team?

America's Team, baby!

1 hour ago, stillgoing said:

is there more glory in being a QB or a RB?

Depends on who you ask, probably. 
Most shows / movies glorify the QB position as its the focal point and requires the most leadership.
It's also arguably the hardest position to play. 

Depends on who you ask, probably. 
Most shows / movies glorify the QB position as its the focal point and requires the most leadership.
It's also arguably the hardest position to play. 

right, but a running back can score the winning TD in the last minute by dodging half a dozen tackles for 80yds then somersaulting into the endzone before doing some crazy celebration... which position gets paid the most?

Archived