What if Mitch is not the guy?

WindyCity

28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You mean we shouldn’t trust the guy who’s last 7 first round picks were Robert Gallery, Fabian Washington, Michael Huff, Jamarcus Russell, Barkevious Mingo, Johnny Manziel and Justin Gilbert?

Michael Lombardi is a tool.  How can we trust a former executive's opinion who's done nothing but fail at each stop.  I'm not worried about what he has to say.  We'll see in 2 years.

Unless Mitch learns to settle down in the pocket and keep calm in pressure situations he will not succeed in this league(National TV, 3rd downs in close games, late game drives, etc). And I'm sorry, but those are traits that cannot be taught. I have yet to see a single QB in the NFL, who panics and has happy feet like he does, who has been able to turn it around and become successful. 

Nagy was brought in as a supposed offensive guru....then let's see him work his magic. But so far, I am personally not impressed. Your QB is not supposed to be missing some of the throws and reads that he did in that game. 

That said, I am also taking into consideration that this game was in a loud Lambeau field on national television, so I'll give him a slight benefit of the doubt this week. But he better show something next week against Seattle because if not, its going to start to remind me alot of Cutler who would show promise in local games but completely sucked on national TV.

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Unless Mitch learns to settle down in the pocket and keep calm in pressure situations he will not succeed in this league(National TV, 3rd downs in close games, late game drives, etc). And I'm sorry, but those are traits that cannot be taught. I have yet to see a single QB in the NFL, who panics and has happy feet like he does, who has been able to turn it around and become successful. 

Nagy was brought in as a supposed offensive guru....then let's see him work his magic. But so far, I am personally not impressed. Your QB is not supposed to be missing some of the throws and reads that he did in that game. 

That said, I am also taking into consideration that this game was in a loud Lambeau field on national television, so I'll give him a slight benefit of the doubt this week. But he better show something next week against Seattle because if not, its going to start to remind me alot of Cutler who would show promise in local games but completely sucked on national TV.

That's a myth.  Cutler ducked on sunday night football.  His Monday night football #s were a different story.  His mnf #s were stupid good.  It made no sense.

Back on topic, if Trubisky is not the guy it doesn't matter, you blow the whole thing up and start over.  That's why it's important to go for it now.  But certainly we won't know what MT10 is until 2020 so let's just sit back and enjoy the ride.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Alex Smith has.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Alex Smith has.

Exactly.  I think that comment is a bit overblown.  Just because someone hasn't personally seen it doesn't mean there hasn't been countless examples of young QBs who come into this league with loose mechanics and who take a little while to adjust to the speed and processing of the game. 

If it were that easy then it wouldn't be so hard to find guys that can play on the same level of guys like Rodgers, Brady and Brees.  Which brings me to my next point, it's not as if those 3 guys I just mentioned came into the league firing on all cylinders right off the bat.  It took them a while to get to where they were with patience and development.

Here we are talking about a QB with 13 college starts and 13 NFL starts.  Gawd some Bears fans are just too impatient.  And you wonder why the city of Chicago has never been able to produce a franchise type QB outside of Sid Luckman in the 1940s...  

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Exactly.  I think that comment is a bit overblown.  Just because someone hasn't personally seen it doesn't mean there hasn't been countless examples of young QBs who come into this league with loose mechanics and who take a little while to adjust to the speed and processing of the game. 

If it were that easy then it wouldn't be so hard to find guys that can play on the same level of guys like Rodgers, Brady and Brees.  Which brings me to my next point, it's not as if those 3 guys I just mentioned came into the league firing on all cylinders right off the bat.  It took them a while to get to where they were with patience and development.

Here we are talking about a QB with 13 college starts and 13 NFL starts.  Gawd some Bears fans are just too impatient.  And you wonder why the city of Chicago has never been able to produce a franchise type QB outside of Sid Luckman in the 1940s...  

Yep- what was Rodgers biggest knock in his first year?  Holding the ball way too long, he took so many sacks because he refused to throw it in bad situations. 

Just to rub salt into everyone's wounds and overplay a one game sample.....

Mahomes' second game of his NFL career

15-27 256 yards 4 TD 0 INT 9.5 avg per pass 127.5 rating 1 sack for 3.6 pct rate

Trubisky's 13th game of his NFL career

23-35 171 yards 0 TD 0 INT 4.9 avg per pass 77.2 rating 4  sacks for 10.3 pct.

Mahomes' threw 4 TDs in his second game. Trubisky has thrown 7 in 13 starts.

I really liked Trubisky's accuracy coming into the league, but if his accuracy goes to crap when he's pressured and Nagy is still basing his offense on protecting Trubisky about 1 degree riskier than Fox did then get ready to see pressure starting during the pregame warmups and ending as the players file onto the team bus from here on out.

I expected more from Nagy and more from Trubisky, but we can relax until 2019 and just accept 2018 as an extended preseason for 2019 for Trubisky.

3 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Just to rub salt into everyone's wounds and overplay a one game sample.....

Mahomes' second game of his NFL career

15-27 256 yards 4 TD 0 INT 9.5 avg per pass 127.5 rating 1 sack for 3.6 pct rate

Trubisky's 13th game of his NFL career

23-35 171 yards 0 TD 0 INT 4.9 avg per pass 77.2 rating 4  sacks for 10.3 pct.

Mahomes' threw 4 TDs in his second game. Trubisky has thrown 7 in 13 starts.

I really liked Trubisky's accuracy coming into the league, but if his accuracy goes to crap when he's pressured and Nagy is still basing his offense on protecting Trubisky about 1 degree riskier than Fox did then get ready to see pressure starting during the pregame warmups and ending as the players file onto the team bus from here on out.

I expected more from Nagy and more from Trubisky, but we can relax until 2019 and just accept 2018 as an extended preseason for 2019 for Trubisky.

Did you watch the game? Tyrkree Hill basically gave Patrcik his 3 TDs. He had a good game but most of those throws were pre-defined reads.

44 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Did you watch the game? Tyrkree Hill basically gave Patrcik his 3 TDs. He had a good game but most of those throws were pre-defined reads.

Not to mention Mahomes is in his second year in the same offense, albeit first as a starter, along with the other skill position guys who have been there for 2+ seasons.

I don't think the Bears would even have the opportunity for a tear-down rebuild. Pace has hit on several acquisitions and the overall talent level of this team is pretty good. They're not far from building an elite defense.

If what we've seen from Mitch is the best we will get, the Bears will likely end up as a Minnesota/Denver/Baltimore type team. They'll build the team around a talented defense and hope that Mitch has some moments of greatness or that they can find a veteran QB who gives them a Super Bowl chance.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

So is it that the Bears have no receivers or that Mitch can't read defenses?

Mitch has never thrown more than 1 TD in a game. Nagy is calling plays like he does not trust Trubisky, although he is calling plays above the Junior High level that Fox thought that Mitch could handle.

Discounting 3 tds in a 4 td game when our own QB has never thrown more than one in a game is the Bears' version of "other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play".

Not saying it's a done deal that Mitch is not an NFL QB, but first Fox and now Nagy are treating him like a QB with Trump's reading ability.

19 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

So is it that the Bears have no receivers or that Mitch can't read defenses?

Mitch has never thrown more than 1 TD in a game. Nagy is calling plays like he does not trust Trubisky, although he is calling plays above the Junior High level that Fox thought that Mitch could handle.

Discounting 3 tds in a 4 td game when our own QB has never thrown more than one in a game is the Bears' version of "other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play".

Not saying it's a done deal that Mitch is not an NFL QB, but first Fox and now Nagy are treating him like a QB with Trump's reading ability.

On your last point, not sure what you're trying to say; is Mitch the biggest, fastest reader?

I've cooled down on this game. A lot went wrong, a LOT were small mistakes that just compounded. In a situation where they literally had to have one of a dozen things go right to win(Fuller int, run ball, better throw, less screens, Jackson stays on receiver etc), they missed completely.

Mitch was not good at reading and missed some throws, but that was a tough game to keep it together in. I'm officially giving it until the next Packers game before I start to get concerned. He's going to have a bunch of defenses, some great and some bad and he's going to almost double his nfl starts by then. He's got some talent, and he really sounds like the real deal. I like him and an going to be patient from now on. I've personally **** the bed twice on a much more obscure, but still national level, and the first one absolutely wrecked me. Learned a ton from both but got better much faster from the second time. It's hard being confronted with failure and realizing you have a big hole in your skills. These days I consider the areas I failed in to be strengths, and got better at the things I'd already been good at, but man was I unprepared to fail at first. 

Archived