What if Mitch is not the guy?

WindyCity

40 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Or no team in the NFL wants there starting QB to go down in preseason...and that no team in the NFL plays anything but vanilla offence and defence in preseason so the snaps instantly lose value...you can not recreate the intensity of and NFL regular season game in camp or preseason.

Maybe not completely but you sure as hell can get much closer to replicating an NFL regular season game in preseason than you can in practice. I don't care if it's 2000 snaps or 5000 snaps.

This was blatantly obvious on offense after the script plays.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Maybe not completely but you sure as hell can get much closer to replicating an NFL regular season game in preseason than you can in practice. I don't care if it's 2000 snaps or 5000 snaps.

Neither comes close IMO...schematically or in terms of intensity.

3 hours ago, dafreak said:

It will take time with Mitch I agree, but it hasnt taken Mahomes or Watson time...And I guess that's my point...

We see what we want to see. FWIW Watson’s performances to date have translated into a 3-5 record as a starter, and his 3.7% INT rate would trouble me in the long term picture as a Houston fan (for reference, Cutler’s career INT rate was 3.3%). But, his career (like that of Mitch) is also very young and nothing is set in stone. There are a lot of examples of QBs not being turn key stars who went on to excellent careers. Favre, Brees and Alex Smith come immediately to mind. There are also a lot of examples of guys who flashed right away but after a few years were exposed. RGIII and VY are recent examples. Drawing any definitive conclusions even in January is probably too soon no matter how this season plays out. 

13 hours ago, Nads786 said:

No you’re right he was insane today.

We'll see how it goes long term. Sometimes, the league will figure a guy out and he could easily slide back into journeyman. Once the league figured out that Grossman could only throw deep he became easy to defend. But yeah, six TDs and ten in two games (I believe a record for first 2 games of season) is nuts.

Lots of ways to win at QB. Mitch could be pretty average but peak in 19 or 20 and will us a SB, or he could be a slow grower but turn out awesome.  Honestly so long as he's average I think the Bears could be a lot of fun to watch.  I was interested in seeing a high flying offense, but frankly the first Q of the Bears/Packers game was enough to make me want to watch defensive games!

Still trying my best not to have any strong reaction about Mitch until Packers 2.  This will probably last about 3 minutes tonight, but hey I'm trying. 

23 hours ago, 51to54 said:

COOOOOL avatar.  Also, EXACTLY the type of mentality we need our QB to have!!!!!!!

(Lee Van Cleef in western get up)

Thanks  man, The Good, The Bad, and the ugly is definitely my favorite movie of all time, seriously underrated these days with the Western genre sadly being nearly dead. Angel Eyes is my favorite movie antagonist for sure.

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What about the joint practices with the Broncos?  To me that's just as valuable if not more than playing a few series in a meaningless preseason game.

Mahomes clearly has talent. He looks more physically talented than any other QB from that class (including Mitch).

It's easy to look at Mahomes' performance and say that Pace drafted the wrong guy, but it's doubtful he'd look the same after 1 year under Fox. Having an established offensive mind and an established veteran QB mentor him for a full season surely helped with his development.

22 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Mahomes clearly has talent. He looks more physically talented than any other QB from that class (including Mitch).

It's easy to look at Mahomes' performance and say that Pace drafted the wrong guy, but it's doubtful he'd look the same after 1 year under Fox. Having an established offensive mind and an established veteran QB mentor him for a full season surely helped with his development.

Watson looked amazing his first couple starts as well and is now down to earth. I was watching the highlights of the Titans Texans game and he looked confused and held the ball alot. Let's wait and see what Patrick does toward the end of this year. 

Archived