What if Mitch is not the guy?

WindyCity

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

I too think hes going to improve.  But you didnt answer my question.  How are you going to replace him without either high picks or cash for a vet?

I don't know the answer off-hand, can merely only comment that they'd be screwed. I actually sort of went into a Plan B kind of mindset for Pace earlier--one thing that pops to mind is one of the Pittsburgh youngsters. Or just put Daniel in. They can also free up cash, but disrupt the team as constructed. But if Trubisky doesn't improve over the course of the season, and they stick with him anyway, Nagy probably loses the team, and the whole experiment will crumble. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know the answer off-hand, can merely only comment that they'd be screwed. I actually sort of went into a Plan B kind of mindset for Pace earlier--one thing that pops to mind is one of the Pittsburgh youngsters. Or just put Daniel in. They can also free up cash, but disrupt the team as constructed. But if Trubisky doesn't improve over the course of the season, and they stick with him anyway, Nagy probably loses the team, and the whole experiment will crumble. 

This is the result of going all in.  Trubisky HAS to be the guy, bc if he isnt, the whole thing gets blown up.  I'm fine with going this route bc it either ends in a championship or we start over.  No more NFL purgatory.  No matter what Trubisky gets all of 2018 and 2019. Likely would get 2020 as well.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

This is the result of going all in.  Trubisky HAS to be the guy, bc if he isnt, the whole thing gets blown up.  I'm fine with going this route bc it either ends in a championship or we start over.  No more NFL purgatory.  No matter what Trubisky gets all of 2018 and 2019. Likely would get 2020 as well.

I essentially agree. Just not on the timeline. The team would freak and the media would eviscerate the front office. No quarterback gets that kind of time in this day and age. 

But I'm not concerned as I don't think it will be problematic. I expect this Sunday's performance to be another step up, and the bye to do wonders. Trubisky seems to have the makings of a solid guy, to me. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. And eat my Bears hat. :D

Trubisky's getting a minimum of another year before ppl in the FO panic.

Having said that, if he's this bad, he's not going to enter 2019 without some real competition (a real backup type guy, I like Chase Daniel, but someone with starting experience in past), and he's never making it to 2020 as the starter playing this badly.   I don't have any reason to think he can't improve given his inexperience and Nagy's implementing the system Year 1, but this level of play isn't going to cut it for that long, either.

Speaking from a team that's literally just gone through this with a bust 1st-rounder, and frankly, your team is almost as good as we were in 2014-5 on the D-side, minus a true shutdown CB and a little more EDGE help (we had 2 shutdown CB's back then, but you only really need 1 elite shutdown guy, given how great your safeties and decent your current CB's are, and some more EDGE depth, not that your top 2 aren't fantastic, just crazy when you 3-4 that are plus EDGE's, then they never get gassed).  That's not getting thrown away for 3 years if Tru isn't a lot better than what he is now.   He can certainly be, and he will get all of 2018 to prove it (barring injury or Brock Osweiler-level badness).   I just wouldn't commit beyond 2019 (and 2019 without some competition) without real progress.   

His contract means you aren't going to cut bait that soon, but he doesn't have to be your starter locked into 2020, not if he's the only reason your team isn't a legit contender (which right now, is the one glaring weakness you have, outside of depth, which most every team has issues).

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Trubisky's getting a minimum of another year before ppl in the FO panic.

Having said that, if he's this bad, he's not going to enter 2019 without some real competition (a real backup type guy, I like Chase Daniel, but someone with starting experience in past), and he's never making it to 2020 as the starter playing this badly.   I don't have any reason to think he can't improve given his inexperience and Nagy's implementing the system Year 1, but this level of play isn't going to cut it for that long, either.

Speaking from a team that's literally just gone through this with a bust 1st-rounder, and frankly, your team is almost as good as we were in 2014-5 on the D-side, minus a true shutdown CB and a little more EDGE help (we had 2 shutdown CB's back then, but you only really need 1 elite shutdown guy, given how great your safeties and decent your current CB's are, and some more EDGE depth, not that your top 2 aren't fantastic, just crazy when you 3-4 that are plus EDGE's, then they never get gassed).  That's not getting thrown away for 3 years if Tru isn't a lot better than what he is now.   He can certainly be, and he will get all of 2018 to prove it (barring injury or Brock Osweiler-level badness).   I just wouldn't commit beyond 2019 (and 2019 without some competition) without real progress.   

His contract means you aren't going to cut bait that soon, but he doesn't have to be your starter locked into 2020, not if he's the only reason your team isn't a legit contender (which right now, is the one glaring weakness you have, outside of depth, which most every team has issues).

Agree with alot of your take

.. Daniel is an eloquent fallback but Biscuit is not playing bad 

Poor Broncs have had some serious bluballs and heartache even with Peyton ..  but MT is no PLynch and while I don't love Pace or Elway, I'll stick w Pace for now 

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Has anyone watched this video of Goff in his first year? Pay attention to all the over throws he has and how much more accurate he is now.

Its not just young players that can get off to bad starts either.  

Stafford missed a ton of wide open throws in first two games.  A ton , way worse than Mitch.  Wide open wrs missed left and right.  

Dak Prescott was mister accurate rookie year to point where Romo retired and now has regressed to point he is looking like a bust and should be benched.

Foles couldnt miss last year and couldnt hit anything this year. 

Watson is missing open receivers this year.  

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He got a nickname, Jared Goof, after his first year.

Everyone wants instant and consistent results if not they want to blow it up and try something else.  Its stupid.   

Just play out the string and relax.  You have a young coach and a young QB both putting in 80 hour weeks. 

Timetable was always next season. Go back and look at comments and everybody agreed in offseason.  

Mack just supercharged the defense so everyone wants O to be great now.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone wants instant and consistent results if not they want to blow it up and try something else.  Its stupid.   

Just play out the string and relax.  You have a young coach and a young QB both putting in 80 hour weeks. 

Timetable was always next season. Go back and look at comments and everybody agreed in offseason.  

Mack just supercharged the defense so everyone wants O to be great now.  

My brother is already calling Mitch a bust and saying "he just doesn't have the ability to be accurate." I fired up this video and even I was surprised and how bad Goof's accuracy was. Let's hope for a breakout game by Mitch this week.

45 minutes ago, Bearsfancro said:

First Quarter Trubisky: 20/25 (80%), 8.0 YPA, 1:0 TD:INT, 57% success (#6), 113 RTG (#8)

2nd-4th Quarter Trubisky: 52/80 (65%), 4.8 YPA, 1:3 TD:INT, 39% success (#28), 65 RTG (#32)

Which says physical talent is not the problem...nor is understanding where the ball should go when he has practiced the scripted plays to start the game...it tells you that Alex Smith wasn't lying when he said it took him 3 or 4 years to have a full command of the playbook...Trubisky needs to be given time to learn the playbook inside out then we will see the best of him...patience is key. 

Archived