Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Thought I'd get this thread starter earlier this week. Definitely need to win this game if we truly have playoff aspirations. 

Luckily for us, the Lions defense is not the Vikings defense. Like Garoppolo, Stafford had a rough game yesterday and will look to rebound. I'm not worried about the Lions run game, but they do have some really solid weapons on the outside. Our corners will once again get tested this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how DL rotation and who plays in the nickel. We went almost exclusively with Armstead over Thomas last game, but I want to see Thomas get more interior rushes. Armstead was a beast in the run game but didn't generate all that much pass rush.

Jimmy G had his roughest game as a pro on Sunday and will need to play better for this team to reach its potential. Now, it wasn't all his fault but he's the franchise and should be expected to play better. 

Will Goodwin give it a go or out again? If so, time for Pettis/Bourne to shine. Pettis like Goodwin is able to threaten defenses deep and is our lone deep threat on the outside if Goodwin can't go. 

Our OL got abused against the Vikings but that wasn't all that surprising. They have a fearsome front 7 and we had a few injuries that didn't help.

The run game will need to be decent all season to open up the offense. Thought it was okay all things considered on Sunday and should be better against Detroit.

Our tackling was the one negative but really looking across the league, we were far from the only team that struggled in that area. The safeties especially were missing far too many tackles. Need to get that cleaned up as the season goes on.

Coyle likely won't be able to go so step right up in Lee. He has more speed than Coyle should be better suited against the screen plays. Warner on the other hand looks like a complete beast. Excited to see what he does for an encore.

I feel pretty confident we will win this game, and win it by more than a score.

SF 31 Detroit 17

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our tackling was the one negative but really looking across the league, we were far from the only team that struggled in that area. The safeties especially were missing far too many tackles. Need to get that cleaned up as the season goes on.

I only got to watch our game this week, but that's an interesting observation. I wonder if the new "leading with helmet" penalty/ejection potential is causing defenders to play a bit more timidly.

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I only got to watch our game this week, but that's an interesting observation. I wonder if the new "leading with helmet" penalty/ejection potential is causing defenders to play a bit more timidly.

I just think that is par for the course with teams resting their players more in preseason and training camp practice schedule that changed with the new CBA. If we still have a tackling issue by week 4? Yeah, it likely has nothing to do with any of that and more with us just not being a good tackling team lol. 

I will say that I don't expect the Lions to play nearly as badly as they did last night against us. Particularly Stafford. For the last three years, he's largely curbed those sort of games, so that wasn't super expected even if he used to be more prone to those types of games. That being said, I will be very disappointed if we don't come out of this game with a win, particularly if Slay's injury is something that nags him. That defense isn't super scary, and while Ziggy can do some damage here and there, he's not consistent enough for me to be uber worried. On defense, I think we will get chewed up underneath, and that's the biggest reason why I can't wait for Foster to get back. We need Foster / Warner in there to cover the ground underneath, otherwise I think teams will continue to have big success against us there. I can see Tate having a huge game against us with something like 12 catches. 

If our interior rush shows up again this week, Stafford is going to have another long day ahead of him. Their WR's are concerning, but I feel pretty confident that the Niners' run defense can bottle up the backs and make passing situations obvious and difficult. Jimmy G should have a nice bounce-back game this week against a pretty terrible defense. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I will say that I don't expect the Lions to play nearly as badly as they did last night against us. Particularly Stafford. For the last three years, he's largely curbed those sort of games, so that wasn't super expected even if he used to be more prone to those types of games. That being said, I will be very disappointed if we don't come out of this game with a win, particularly if Slay's injury is something that nags him. That defense isn't super scary, and while Ziggy can do some damage here and there, he's not consistent enough for me to be uber worried. On defense, I think we will get chewed up underneath, and that's the biggest reason why I can't wait for Foster to get back. We need Foster / Warner in there to cover the ground underneath, otherwise I think teams will continue to have big success against us there. I can see Tate having a huge game against us with something like 12 catches. 

Just some input from a lions fan here as far as injuries. Slay is fine, Ziggy is the one that may be out. Ziggy went out of the game last night with a shoulder injury. 

36 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

They're gonna kill us underneath like Cook did. We just don't have that sideline to sideline speed at linebacker.

Too bad Bowman decided to jump ship. He's still a FA.

When Smith and Foster are back those two plus Warner will give us as fast a lb group as there is.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

They're gonna kill us underneath like Cook did. We just don't have that sideline to sideline speed at linebacker.

Too bad Bowman decided to jump ship. He's still a FA.

Warner and Foster are plenty fast. Most of those Cook catches along with the other backs, was due to Coyle not being able to get out or disrupt the screen.....Something Foster specializes in. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Is Smith actually going to play this week? Assuming he doesn't stub his pinky toe before Sunday of course.

Who knows, hammy injuries are tough to judge. I'd guess no, and his team in SF is over before it even started...Not to take literally as he will still be on the team, but won't be starting or getting significant playing time. 

Lee and Warner it will be on Sunday if i had to guess. Now, the bigger question is what we will do at RG. Looking like another week of McGlinchey at guard and Gillam at RT? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who knows, hammy injuries are tough to judge. I'd guess no, and his team in SF is over before it even started...Not to take literally as he will still be on the team, but won't be starting or getting significant playing time. 

Lee and Warner it will be on Sunday if i had to guess. Now, the bigger question is what we will do at RG. Looking like another week of McGlinchey at guard and Gillam at RT? 

Tobin may get bumped to the active roster. He played guard in Philly. Coleman played some guard in college, and he'd add versatility

3 hours ago, Lionized said:

Just some input from a lions fan here as far as injuries. Slay is fine, Ziggy is the one that may be out. Ziggy went out of the game last night with a shoulder injury. 

Not sure if that is better or worse for you guys. Slay is the better player at what he does, but he can only do so much on one receiver. If you don't generate pressure against Jimmy, he will eat teams alive going to secondary receivers. Ziggy could have a nice day against a suspect offensive line, and one of the reasons Jimmy struggled so much against Minnesota was the constant pressure. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Warner and Foster are plenty fast. Most of those Cook catches along with the other backs, was due to Coyle not being able to get out or disrupt the screen.....Something Foster specializes in. 

Right, but I was talking about next week against the Lions. Foster won't be there. 

Archived