Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

We helped set a record today - 

It was the Lions' 70th straight game without having a 100 yard rusher, the most ever since the merger.  They haven't had a 100 yard rusher since 2013, when Reggie bush did it.  To put this in perspective, the browns have had multiple quarterbacks rush for 100 yards since the Lions have had a running back do it (we also had a quarterback do it of course, with Kaep). 

I was at a friend's house watching the game, so I wasn't able to come on and post, but Jimmy looked bad this game. The oline actually held up, but Jimmy would hold the ball too long and we got lucky on that "would be" pick 6. Breida played lights outs and I wonder if he'll start getting more (starter) touches, it seemed like he was towards the end of the game. K. Williams keeps on bitting on the underneath coverage which is irritating because he lets whomever go deep then. I think he let that happen last week too. Defensively I can't wait for Foster to come back, it's badly needed. Lee looked lost. Buckner of course looked good, we had decent pass rush, but Stafford was able to step up or evade. Lucky game and glad we came out with the W. If Mahomes keeps playing like he is, next week is going to be ugly!!

I saw that we actually gave Cleveland a call on Gordon, I'm interested, but I doubt anything happens. 

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It really is the curse of Barry Sanders. Who has been their best running back since Sanders? Reggie Bush for that short stint? James Stewart? 

I'd probably say Bush, but yeah, their running backs have been pretty dreadful. And the crazy thing is, it's not like they haven't tried to address it and honestly, the running back problem has dated a lot further back then 2013 as they've only had 4 1000 yard rushers since Barry, I'm pretty sure, so that's going on 20 years now.

Kerryon Johnson in the second round this year. Ameer Abdullah 2nd round in 2015. Mike Leshoure in the 2nd round in 2011. Jahvid Best in 1st round in 2010. Kevin Smith in the 3rd round in 2009. Brian Calhoun 3rd round in 2006. Kevin Jones 1st round 2004. Not to mention the guys they have signed. It's pretty crazy. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just realized, we should probably get cracking on a Robbie Gould contract extension. He's a FA after this year, I'm pretty sure. 

And he is only 35 (which seems weird saying, but kickers can be great well into their 40s). Lock him up for two more years at ~$3M per. I think he'd accept that. He seems to like being here. But really, with his play, I'd go as high as $8M over two.

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Spoon will be fine. He definitely had a rough 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter but he will be alright. When he allowed a few catches in a row it got to his head and he kind of fell apart. 

The guy who I'm more worried about in the secondary is Colbert. This guy keeps missing tackles and seems a second late in everything he does. Hopefully he turns it around as we need him to play well for this secondary to play up to its potential.

And the 10+ missed tackles we had today was super frustrating. 

K'wann Williams mishap really led to our mini-collapse. If we get a stop on 3rd and 17 there, then the game is likely a wrap without the Lions making any type of run. 

Yeah. I'm worried about both Colbert and to a lesser extent 'spoon. Part of our projection as a just about average defense was those two both continuing good play. And Colbert plays in the second most important position on the defense. When he is a step slow to either seam, the scheme falls apart.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So guys aren't getting open then?

Unknown without seeing the All 22. I'm guessing it's a combination of that and Jimmy maybe overthinking with more of Shanahan's offense under his belt. Last year everything was apparently simplified with the limited time to work with. Hopefully it's just a phase like it was for Matt Ryan when he was learning it. 

Archived