Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

55 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yikes Thomas playing half of the snaps again..Not liking where this is going. makes me wonder if we were better off picking Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker now......

And guess what? Thomas was the only one putting pressure aside from Buckner and Day when he got time. That is the baffling part to me. Thomas needs inside rush snaps period. Granted, he actually got some pressures from the outside yesterday but that was mainly on his bull rushes. First snap he got to rush from the inside he almost sacked Stafford.

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Yeah. I'm worried about both Colbert and to a lesser extent 'spoon. Part of our projection as a just about average defense was those two both continuing good play. And Colbert plays in the second most important position on the defense. When he is a step slow to either seam, the scheme falls apart.

Spoon definitely got his confidence shook a bit and that led to his bad play late in the game. Colbert though? He hasn't been good at all from the start. Not wrapping up at all which is leading to some bad plays. Tartt on the other hand is close to breaking out with some big games. Has been close to breaking on the ball a few times but just missed and then dropped a INT last week. I have a feeling he will play some high level ball the rest of the season. Sherman is Sherman. Plays with an high IQ and won't be allowing much all season. Spoon I felt played very well against Minny minus one play and that's the type of player we need every week. But he is young and the corner position will humble you. Marshon Lattimore was elite last year and yet he got lit up like a Xmas tree against the Bucs. It happens. Now, Colbert is one guy I can't confidently say will turn it around. I'm just not sure about him. Easy to forget we have two guys in the secondary that have less than 10 starts. These guys will get tested against the Chiefs this week. Do we get the type of secondary play we got for 7 quarters to start the season or do we get the secondary play we got in the 4th quarter? If it is the former, then we will compete with the Chiefs. If it is the latter, then we may allow 50+ points lol.

48 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Yep, that was the most frustrating part. The OL blocked just fine. Last year Garoppolo was getting rid of the ball quickly and not taking many sacks. But yesterday he was still like Stafford, thinking of the last game and was trying too hard not to make any mistakes. He got in his head a bit. Only two of the six sacks you could blame on the OL/TE. The rest? All on him.

47 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Unknown without seeing the All 22. I'm guessing it's a combination of that and Jimmy maybe overthinking with more of Shanahan's offense under his belt. Last year everything was apparently simplified with the limited time to work with. Hopefully it's just a phase like it was for Matt Ryan when he was learning it. 

Good point, but I still think it was more so him over thinking it due to the Vikings game. He got humbled in that game and had his worse game as a pro and wanted to make sure he didn't have any turnovers this game....And still had one but was lucky there was a flag thrown on that play.

I remember Goodwin missing a few practices and the offense really struggled and Lynch mentioned man he makes such a difference. Does anyone remember that? He kept saying without him the field shrinks and the defense gets to play a lot more aggressive. Two weeks in, and that point is proving to be so true. Goodwin is turning into a complete WR and is Garoppolo's #1 option and the lone deep threat right now on the roster. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And guess what? Thomas was the only one putting pressure aside from Buckner and Day when he got time. That is the baffling part to me. Thomas needs inside rush snaps period. Granted, he actually got some pressures from the outside yesterday but that was mainly on his bull rushes. First snap he got to rush from the inside he almost sacked Stafford.

Spoon definitely got his confidence shook a bit and that led to his bad play late in the game. Colbert though? He hasn't been good at all from the start. Not wrapping up at all which is leading to some bad plays. Tartt on the other hand is close to breaking out with some big games. Has been close to breaking on the ball a few times but just missed and then dropped a INT last week. I have a feeling he will play some high level ball the rest of the season. Sherman is Sherman. Plays with an high IQ and won't be allowing much all season. Spoon I felt played very well against Minny minus one play and that's the type of player we need every week. But he is young and the corner position will humble you. Marshon Lattimore was elite last year and yet he got lit up like a Xmas tree against the Bucs. It happens. Now, Colbert is one guy I can't confidently say will turn it around. I'm just not sure about him. Easy to forget we have two guys in the secondary that have less than 10 starts. These guys will get tested against the Chiefs this week. Do we get the type of secondary play we got for 7 quarters to start the season or do we get the secondary play we got in the 4th quarter? If it is the former, then we will compete with the Chiefs. If it is the latter, then we may allow 50+ points lol.

Yep, that was the most frustrating part. The OL blocked just fine. Last year Garoppolo was getting rid of the ball quickly and not taking many sacks. But yesterday he was still like Stafford, thinking of the last game and was trying too hard not to make any mistakes. He got in his head a bit. Only two of the six sacks you could blame on the OL/TE. The rest? All on him.

Good point, but I still think it was more so him over thinking it due to the Vikings game. He got humbled in that game and had his worse game as a pro and wanted to make sure he didn't have any turnovers this game....And still had one but was lucky there was a flag thrown on that play.

I remember Goodwin missing a few practices and the offense really struggled and Lynch mentioned man he makes such a difference. Does anyone remember that? He kept saying without him the field shrinks and the defense gets to play a lot more aggressive. Two weeks in, and that point is proving to be so true. Goodwin is turning into a complete WR and is Garoppolo's #1 option and the lone deep threat right now on the roster. 

With my one year running around the house, I only got the pay attention to Thomas towards the end of the game where he was rushing from the end spot. Hopefully we fix this. I did see another near Sack from Thomas(first half?), I think he missed and Stafford was able to make a throw to get a first down?

I'm surprised so much of the our fanbase is up in arms over the inconsistent play to start the year. I honestly expected this. Have we not been here before? We have a insanely young team. Especially defensively, where we have first time starters playing pivotal roles. 

They just haven't been executing as Sherm said. Young players, especially guys who are first-time starters have to learn consistency and playing with intense focus and effort....every play. That's what Sherm is talking about when he says he plays every play like its his last. Football is a violent sport. You might not get another play to correct your mistakes. So he's mentally dialed-in, every snap. He learned that and honed that trait, being around other great players in that Seattle defense and learning what it took to go against the best and dominate, week after week. Our young guys are still going through that maturation process. Its just too many peaks and valleys right now with our young guys, which isn't surprising to me. These guys haven't experienced much success and haven't really seen what it takes to play at a high-level, week in and week out. I knew we would start out slow. How slow, I wasn't so sure but I knew that it would take us some weeks to kind of hit out stride so to speak. Even Jimmy, who is entering his first season as a full-time starter, I felt would struggle some out the gate.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm surprised so much of the our fanbase is up in arms over the inconsistent play to start the year. I honestly expected this. Have we not been here before? We have a insanely young team. Especially defensively, where we have first time starters playing pivotal roles. 

They just haven't been executing as Sherm said. Young players, especially guys who are first-time starters have to learn consistency and playing with intense focus and effort....every play. That's what Sherm is talking about when he says he plays every play like its his last. Football is a violent sport. You might not get another play to correct your mistakes. So he's mentally dialed-in, every snap. He learned that and honed that trait, being around other great players in that Seattle defense and learning what it took to go against the best and dominate, week after week. Our young guys are still going through that maturation process. Its just too many peaks and valleys right now with our young guys, which isn't surprising to me. These guys haven't experienced much success and haven't really seen what it takes to play at a high-level, week in and week out. I knew we would start out slow. How slow, I wasn't so sure but I knew that it would take us some weeks to kind of hit out stride so to speak. Even Jimmy, who is entering his first season as a full-time starter, I felt would struggle some out the gate.

Sure, and that's why I said it is too early to judge, but certainly there are a few areas to keep a close eye on.

-The confidence of Spoon rest of the way. Will he let the 4th quarter get to him or as Sherman said move on after the 24 hour rule?

-How good exactly is Colbert? Flashed last year but played very little and right now is missing far too many tackles. The last part can be cleaned up though.

-Is Saleh going to smarten up and insert Thomas over Armstead in the nickel packages? Thomas is on another level than Armstead in rushing from the inside.

-Can this offense properly operate without Goodwin? It is clear opposing defenses are stacking the middle of the defense and aren't scared of getting beat deep. 

-Will the offense improve in the red zone? I mean it is clear we will have no problem moving the ball, but will we continue kicking FGs instead of TDs?

-How will the OL hold up against very good to great fronts? Will our offense even have a chance against them?

-Will we get any sort of outside pass rush or just rely strictly on our interior rush? 

Overall, I'm not as worried as some but there are quite a bit of questions yet to be answered. Our defense for 7 quarters had allowed only 30 points which is really good before falling apart in the 4th quarter. That was worrisome but for majority of the first two games they have been very solid. And our missed tackles you would think would start to get fixed with more games. Of course Foster returning will help in that area as well. The Chiefs game is going to very interesting. Will definitely answer some questions.

10 hours ago, struby3 said:

And he is only 35 (which seems weird saying, but kickers can be great well into their 40s). Lock him up for two more years at ~$3M per. I think he'd accept that. He seems to like being here. But really, with his play, I'd go as high as $8M over two.

Two? How about 4 or 5?

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yikes Thomas playing half of the snaps again..Not liking where this is going. makes me wonder if we were better off picking Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker now......

I thought both of those guys were among the best safeties I'd seen in years. I never had the impression that Thomas  was among the best d-line guys I'd seen in years.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly it seemed to me like over-compensating for the prior week.Maybe Shanny beat it into his head too hard how bad ints are. Now how about beating it into his head that he can just throw it away and try again next down.

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It's more than just early season jitters. Young guys often take a big leap from year 1 to 2, or at least from 2 to 3. Both Colbert and Spoon seem to be going in the other direction, and it's not clear if Thomas is better or not. Seeing improvement in the young guys is key if we're going to improve on last season.

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Honestly it seemed to me like over-compensating for the prior week.Maybe Shanny beat it into his head too hard how bad ints are. Now how about beating it into his head that he can just throw it away and try again next down.

I just think he didn't want to throw any INTs just like Stafford so he was a bit too careful. He didn't even want to throw the ball away. Needs to get over it and move on. Our OL gave him really good protection yet he kept taking some awful sacks. 

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Jimmy thinking too much? Gotta clean that up. Especially if he had anywhere close to the 6 seconds mentioned... OL doing it's job! Time for Jimmy to decide. No one open? Throw it away. 

I think it's a combo of him overthinking Shanny's scheme and simply WRs just not getting open. 

Archived