Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Traded for a fifth. Not sure how I feel about us not trying for him. don;t think its a big deal, but I think we could have pulled it off. 

If it makes you feel better, we don't have a fifth, so there you go. We were out lol. 

That was my thing, we are already short out of a few late round picks in 2019. This wasn't going to happen.

What I don't get is why would Cleveland send NE a pick back if Gordon isn't active for 10 games? So the 5th is dealt either way right? Can't NE just not make him active for 10 games? Lol

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

It's more than just early season jitters. Young guys often take a big leap from year 1 to 2, or at least from 2 to 3. Both Colbert and Spoon seem to be going in the other direction, and it's not clear if Thomas is better or not. Seeing improvement in the young guys is key if we're going to improve on last season.

Has nothing to do with jitters. This isn't their first time on a NFL field. It's about attention to detail and how to play assignment sound football and not trying to do too much. Letting your natural talent shine within the structure of the scheme and playcall. This is what most young, first-time starters have to understand and develop. Both Spoon and AC came into the league with no expectations, no fan-fare last year. They were not expected to do much and so there wasn't any pressure that weighed on their play. Now this year there are expectations. There are tangible goals for each individual and pressure to perform. Sometimes expectations can make guys play a little tense, as if they're afraid to screw up instead of playing loose, having fun and trusting their instincts.

Its a different level, being a starting player on a good team. Sherman talked about in his interview after the game. Young guys simply think they just have to show up, put in the reps, and plays will happen. But it's a different kind of focus, a different kind of mentality to be locked-in every single play. Just like Bourne and his wrong route versus the Vikes. That's a mental lapse that resulted in a swing of mometum that changes a game. When you have so many young players who are involved in the game plan, you have to expect some young mistakes. I just think that comes with the territory. We have to learn how to win, as cliche as that may sound. Now for a veteran-led team, these mistakes would be looked at differently. But I'm not too worried, as young teams have to find their way, early on in most cases.

Now I understand both AC and Spoon were banged up and maybe were not 100% going into the game. But that's something that young players also have to also learn....how to play consistently, not being at full strength. Like Sherm said, once you're out there it doesn't matter. It's what you put on tape that travels with you, not the injury report so if you go out there, you need to execute.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That was my thing, we are already short out of a few late round picks in 2019. This wasn't going to happen.

What I don't get is why would Cleveland send NE a pick back if Gordon isn't active for 10 games? So the 5th is dealt either way right? Can't NE just not make him active for 10 games? Lol

Seems to me like NE has a harder route than ever to the playoffs this year. They might need him for those 10 games. Makes no sense to jeopardize the entire season just to save a 6th or 7th round pick.

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

It's more than just early season jitters. Young guys often take a big leap from year 1 to 2, or at least from 2 to 3. Both Colbert and Spoon seem to be going in the other direction, and it's not clear if Thomas is better or not. Seeing improvement in the young guys is key if we're going to improve on last season.

The fact that Thomas is on the field for less than half the defensive snaps and getting fewer pass rushing snaps than both Armstead and Blair tells me all I need to know about how the team feels he's progressing as a pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The fact that Thomas is on the field for less than half the defensive snaps and getting fewer pass rushing snaps than both Armstead and Blair tells me all I need to know about how the team feels he's progressing as a pass rusher. 

Definitely what the team thinks of him right now.....Which is still baffling that Armstead continues to get inside rushes over him.

Guess Thomas will just have to wait until Armstead gets injured to take his spot. 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely what the team thinks of him right now.....Which is still baffling that Armstead continues to get inside rushes over him.

Guess Thomas will just have to wait until Armstead gets injured to take his spot. 

Thanks again for that win Chip and Kaep. 

Archived