Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford

patriotsheatyan

Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford, who’s better

• Stafford
    • Smith

Looking at their numbers, it is crazy to me that Smith has thrown for more than 20 touchdowns just twice in his career. Whereas Stafford has not once thrown for less than 20 when he played 10+ games.

With that said, I would trust Smith more than Stafford in a tie game at 3 quarter time.. I really don't know who to vote. Smith probably gets the edge.

Stafford. Obviously he has had his some clunker games like he did against the Jets, but overall his arm talent is just a lot better than what Smith brings to the table. Smith is never going to have a 40 touchdown or 5000 yard season. Probably not throw for 500 yards in a game. 

Stafford with Andy Reid would be interesting. 

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Stafford is the more talented of the 2 but which one would you trust more to produce over the course of their career?  

Still definitely Stafford.  Their efficiency stats over the last 5 years have been pretty similar despite the fact that Stafford is asked to do a lot more and Alex has had a much stronger supporting cast.

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Stafford is the more talented of the 2 but which one would you trust more to produce over the course of their career?  

Produce over the course of their career? Then it’s Stafford in an absolute landslide.

2017 was Smith’s first season passing for 4,000 yards and third time passing for 20+ TDs. Stafford hasn’t thrown for less than 4,000 yards and 20 TDs since 2010.

Stafford’s largely had better receiving options, which represent his bulk passing stats. Smith has largely played with better coaching and defenses, which represent his superior win %. 

I think you can make a case for Alex Smith being the better choice

Stafford averages 20 turnovers per year. Smith averages about 10 turnovers/ year

Stafford is the better passer, Smith has been the more successful Field General

Stafford is your guy in Fantasy Football, Smith seems better in Real Football

Regular season Passer Rating:  Smith 87, Stafford 87

Playoff passer rating: Smith 97, Stafford 87

Playoff TD/INT Smith 14/2, Stafford 4/3 ( that's really impressive for Smith )

Smith is the vastly superior rusher with way more yards and TDs running the ball than Stafford ( adjusted for years played)

Stafford has annually been burdened with far more offensive responsibility than Alex Smith has when comparing careers. He's averaged almost 10 more passing attempts on a per game basis in his career. It always seems as though Smith has the luxury of a supporting cast with a game manager mentality while I can't even remember when Stafford had a reliable running game.

In short, I would take Stafford between the two because I feel as though he has the ability to do more than Smith if called upon. I will say though these past two seasons Smith has really impressed me and developed into a QB more willing to push the ball downfield. I think they're both kind of underrated.

Stafford has annually been burdened with far more offensive responsibility than Alex Smith has when comparing careers. He's averaged almost 10 more passing attempts on a per game basis in his career. It always seems as though Smith has the luxury of a supporting cast with a game manager mentality while I can't even remember when Stafford had a reliable running game

Yeah, I agree with a lot of this.

Smith is a good QB, but I do think Stafford could do the same thing if he had smilier circumstances as Smith. Now, I am not sure Smith could do what Stafford does in Detroit. 

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

In short, I would take Stafford between the two because I feel as though he has the ability to do more than Smith if called upon.

Stafford has been called upon dozens of times - with the season on the line for the Lions.
He's never answered the bell. As a Packer fan, I've seen it up close and personal.

Tons of god given ability, zero argument there and he's fun to watch. Amazing thrower.

But I wouldn't bet a nickle on him coming through in crunch time. He's never been a student of the game and his recent resurgence under Jim Bob Cooter is directly attributable to them reeling Matthew in with shorter, less risky passes. In other words, they can't trust his talent and want to turn him into a game manager.

What does that tell you about his ability to come through if called upon ?

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think you can make a case for Alex Smith being the better choice

Stafford averages 20 turnovers per year. Smith averages about 10 turnovers/ year

Stafford is the better passer, Smith has been the more successful Field General

Stafford is your guy in Fantasy Football, Smith seems better in Real Football

Regular season Passer Rating:  Smith 87, Stafford 87

Playoff passer rating: Smith 97, Stafford 87

Playoff TD/INT Smith 14/2, Stafford 4/3 ( that's really impressive for Smith )

Smith is the vastly superior rusher with way more yards and TDs running the ball than Stafford ( adjusted for years played)

Stafford averages about 17 turnovers, not 20. 

Alex smith averages 15 TDs a year. Stafford, 23.

completion % is roughly the same (about a half of a percent better for smith)

vastly superior rusher? They have the same amount of TDs and smith has run over twice the amount of times that Stafford has. I wouldn’t in anyway say vastly superior. 

Archived