Week 2: Sunday Night Football: New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys

Acgott

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It's time to bench Eli for good. He doesn't know how to play football anymore. He's the confounding factor here of an inept offense. No more excuses. 

TBH I was at this point last year. Yes the oline is bad but even when he has time he's struggling to find the open guys and even when he does they have to make acrobatic catches just to secure it which gets them all hurt. Now he's becoming captain checkdown, which some is probably by design in Schumers offensive scheme but dumping off to Barkley on 2 yard gains over and over isn't going to do anything but get him hurt. I actually think benching him was the right call last season... but what was mind numbing to me was the Geno over Webb decision. I doubt Schumer benches Eli anytime soon though because of the backlash last year, and for all intents and purposed it's only week 2. But... the schedule isn't getting any easier and they could realistically find themselves in the 0-8 to 2-6 range at the bye. I think at that point is when a switch to Lauletta is more likely to happen if at all.
Long story short.. I think Eli plays out the season.

17 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

TBH I was at this point last year. Yes the oline is bad but even when he has time he's struggling to find the open guys and even when he does they have to make acrobatic catches just to secure it which gets them all hurt. Now he's becoming captain checkdown, which some is probably by design in Schumers offensive scheme but dumping off to Barkley on 2 yard gains over and over isn't going to do anything but get him hurt. I actually think benching him was the right call last season... but what was mind numbing to me was the Geno over Webb decision. I doubt Schumer benches Eli anytime soon though because of the backlash last year, and for all intents and purposed it's only week 2. But... the schedule isn't getting any easier and they could realistically find themselves in the 0-8 to 2-6 range at the bye. I think at that point is when a switch to Lauletta is more likely to happen if at all.
Long story short.. I think Eli plays out the season.

If Mcadoo benched Eli for Webb last season instead of Geno Smith, Mcadoo would have lasted until the end of the season. Eli is about to turn into a coach killer. You need to see what you have in Lauletta so you can move forward. It's only been 2 weeks but it is pretty obvious that you aren't going to win another super bowl with Eli. He doesn't have it in him anymore. When was the last time you saw Eli look off a safety? He looks like Johnny Manziel at A&M without any of the athleticism. He doesn't look off his first read. It is disgusting to watch. The OL is not good, but this offense would be totally transformed with a competent (yes, I'm calling Eli incompetent) QB.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If Mcadoo benched Eli for Webb last season instead of Geno Smith, Mcadoo would have lasted until the end of the season. Eli is about to turn into a coach killer. You need to see what you have in Lauletta so you can move forward. It's only been 2 weeks but it is pretty obvious that you aren't going to win another super bowl with Eli. He doesn't have it in him anymore. When was the last time you saw Eli look off a safety? He looks like Johnny Manziel at A&M without any of the athleticism. He doesn't look off his first read. It is disgusting to watch. The OL is not good, but this offense would be totally transformed with a competent (yes, I'm calling Eli incompetent) QB.

I don't think this is completely fair. More often than not, he is immediately scrambling or back peddling after his initial drop back. He has NO time to look off a safety or go through his progression.

That being said, Eli looked bad physically last night and his accuracy was horrible. He has always had those issues but it just is more often these days. I do think it's time to move on at this point. I don't think he's completely done but he past the point of being able to make the team better. He can't carry the team anymore

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

I don't think this is completely fair. More often than not, he is immediately scrambling or back peddling after his initial drop back. He has NO time to look off a safety or go through his progression.

That being said, Eli looked bad physically last night and his accuracy was horrible. He has always had those issues but it just is more often these days. I do think it's time to move on at this point. I don't think he's completely done but he past the point of being able to make the team better. He can't carry the team anymore

He did have to scramble a lot, but you could even watch only the pass plays where he had a clean pocket and notice his inability to go through his reads. And even the plays where he had a clean pocket, he was scrambling. He's got no confidence in himself or his OL. It is absolutely killing the team.

Mcadoo and Shurmur run very different offenses, yet last night was indistinguishable from the first Cowboys game last year. There is one constant and it is Eli. Yes, the OL played badly due to a ton of miscommunication and missed assignments. When they blocked well though, it looked the same as when they allowed a free rusher because Eli was scared.

As everyone knows when Saquon was drafted I said it was a huge mistake to pass on Sam Darnold. That being said you can't put all or even most of this on Eli. He is learning a brand new offensive system, it takes  many games to get comfortable in a new system. Also the Giants just got out coached, Dallas was just doing stunts and corner blitzes, our coaching staff e needed to find a way to get it block or design  plays to make Dallas pay the price for the blitzes. 

Now people want to put a fourth round QB that knows even less about the system than Eli does behind our dreadful offensive line? I highly doubt that he is the future but if you start  Lauletta you are  just going to turn him into the next David Carr.  Dave Getteman screwed this team by passing on Sam Darnold , he had the #1 QB in the draft fall right into his lap a gift from the Cleveland Browns and he took that gift and gave it to the Jets. 

The Giants may have gotten out coached, but the missed assignments are 100% on the OL. Dallas ran exactly the same blitz packages they've been running forever. Double A gap blitz, slot corner blitz, T-E stunts, and they didn't disguise anything. There were obvious and blatant missed assignments that resulted in almost all of the pressure Eli faced. I understand that was a problem last night, and am actually confident that will get better in time. This OL needs to talk more and get better at communicating. Our guys weren't actually getting bullied, except for Rhett Ellison.

My problem with Eli last night is that even when pressure wasn't in his face, he was horrible. He locked in on one guy the whole game. He also spent so much time audibling pre snap, and it was into bad plays. What exactly was he seeing? Besides being horrible to watch, it destroyed the entire offense. Lauletta didn't look great in the preseason, but he is athletic, decisive, and while he doesn't have a big arm, he throws a quick and accurate short and intermediate ball. That is exactly what Shurmur's offense requires and it is why Shurmur drafted him and kept him over Webb. Eli meanwhile is throwing high on crossing/slant routes, does not trust his arm or OL, and is the most unathletic QB in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Giants may have gotten out coached, but the missed assignments are 100% on the OL. Dallas ran exactly the same blitz packages they've been running forever. Double A gap blitz, slot corner blitz, T-E stunts, and they didn't disguise anything. There were obvious and blatant missed assignments that resulted in almost all of the pressure Eli faced. I understand that was a problem last night, and am actually confident that will get better in time. This OL needs to talk more and get better at communicating. Our guys weren't actually getting bullied, except for Rhett Ellison.

My problem with Eli last night is that even when pressure wasn't in his face, he was horrible. He locked in on one guy the whole game. He also spent so much time audibling pre snap, and it was into bad plays. What exactly was he seeing? Besides being horrible to watch, it destroyed the entire offense. Lauletta didn't look great in the preseason, but he is athletic, decisive, and while he doesn't have a big arm, he throws a quick and accurate short and intermediate ball. That is exactly what Shurmur's offense requires and it is why Shurmur drafted him and kept him over Webb. Eli meanwhile is throwing high on crossing/slant routes, does not trust his arm or OL, and is the most unathletic QB in the NFL.

Getting rid of Webb made no sense but that topic is probably not worth talking about. As I said before if you think  Lauletta can be the future why would you throw him out there behind this offensive line and turn him into David Carr? Do you want what is happening to Eli now to happen to  Lauletta?  That great he is more athletic but running around not knowing what you are going to do will most likely only get the kid injured. 

11 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Getting rid of Webb made no sense but that topic is probably not worth talking about. As I said before if you think  Lauletta can be the future why would you throw him out there behind this offensive line and turn him into David Carr? Do you want what is happening to Eli now to happen to  Lauletta?  That great he is more athletic but running around not knowing what you are going to do will most likely only get the kid injured. 

I don't know if Lauletta is the future. But I'd rather know for sure by seeing him play than just guessing by him sitting on the bench. It is obvious though that both the OL and QB are problems. I think the OL's problems are more easily fixed than Eli's. Eli is scarred. The OL is just missing simple assignments. It's even more egregious because of how simple it is. But it can and should be fixed by getting more reps.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I don't know if Lauletta is the future. But I'd rather know for sure by seeing him play than just guessing by him sitting on the bench. It is obvious though that both the OL and QB are problems. I think the OL's problems are more easily fixed than Eli's. Eli is scarred. The OL is just missing simple assignments. It's even more egregious because of how simple it is. But it can and should be fixed by getting more reps.

If  Lauletta was ready to play now he would have been a first round draft pick and #2 on the Giants QB depth chart.  He is neither, no need to rush him out there to fail. I would understand maybe the last four games of the season but no way is he ready to start now.  The only way to fix the offensive line is to get better players, so it not going to be fixed this year, I am okay with the LT and the LG. The Giants need to upgrade at RT, C and it is looking more and more like RG as well. 

I hate how football has the longest offseason and I’m already looking forward to it.

Anyone else feel that Gettleman was a monumentally awful pick to run this franchise? Not picking Darnold might be the worst thing to happen to this franchise since they took Tucker Fredrickson over Sayers. With respect to his personal life because cancer sucks, the guy is too stubborn and macho to be a successful GM in 2018.

Archived