Injury update: Greg Olsen

sammymvpknight

Greg Olsen has what’s called a Jones fracture, which is a fracture to a foot bone on the outside of the foot. The problem with his particular bone is that it is prone to non-union (not fusing) because of a poor blood supple. You need the particular bone to bear weight. 

Olsen had surgery previous to pin the same bone. But apparently in spite of pinning, the bone was not strong enough to prevent fracturing around the pin. 

Olsens in a tough situation. He could go back to surgery, which could cost him the season and the foot could still have continued issues with healing. Not ideal at the end of his career. Or he can pray that the bone heals with immobilization. 

He has elected to treat with immobilization. The timeline for a typical fracture would be 4-6 weeks. In his particular case, I’d bet it would be more along the lines of 8 weeks. 

What does this mean to you? It means that for fanasty purposes, Olsen is likely done this season. He could potentially help the Panthers late in the season/playoffs, but it’s truly in Gods hands and I wouldn’t bet my money that he sees the field again this year. The Panthers funnel the ball through the short yardage game. I’d hit the waiver wire and get Ian Thomas if you have the room. 

Honestly, I was avoiding Olsen in my drafts, so doesn't really affect me outside of the fact that if I want to add Kittle to my roster, I'm going to have to burn up my waiver priority. That being said, I think at this point Olsen is a drop in most leagues. I'm not a fan of keeping two tight ends anyway on the roster. 

Archived