A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

On 12/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, BillsGuy82 said:

I doubt this happens with Josh Allen heading into year 2. His HC career will be tied to Josh Allen's progression and results.

I don't see GB going all in on Daboll either tbh. Just a scenario that doesn't make sense all around.

Its not going all in on him he is just being mentioned as his creativity and having Rodgers as QB can spark the offense it once was. The frontrunner who is being mentioned by media is Josh McDaniels. The fact that Daboll is being discussed as a HC is concerning because the progress Allen was building off of will take a huge step back if he leaves

With the official cap moving to $191.1 mil before rollover Bills have the 2nd most cap space in the league just behind the Jets. They are currently at 89.5 million (according to spotrac.com) with about $8 mil in cap space that will be rolled over. With rollover they will be 3rd in the league with cap space with Colts and Jets ahead of them. Not to mention any cuts before the season starts. 

We have been discussing who we want and who to look for too but not really discussing who the bills should move on from. My top 5 players I would like to see cut that will be under contract are the following people:

1. Charles Clay TE cap hit is $9 mil but can clear $4.5 mil
2. Trent Murphy DE with Shaq stepping in and being a capable starter for the year splitting reps when murphy is healthy hasnt been ideal. Cap hit $8.575 but can clear just over $5 mil
3. Russel Bodine C cap hit $2.875 but can clear $2.375. I expect the bills to go big at this position in free agency and since bodine hasnt done much to show he is an acceptable starter I would like to see him gone.
4. Vlad Ducasse LG cap hit $2.083 mil but can clear $2 mil. Another guy who has shown he is a liability at both Guard positions and want nothing to do with him moving forward.
5. Patrick Dimarco FB cap hit $2.125 mil but can clear $1.125 mil. He hasnt been utilized on the offense and has been a decent player in ST. I think this may be one that can go either way on sticking around or getting cut. All in all I blame the offense the past 2 years more so then him as they haven't really utilized him that much. I have only seen 1 play from him this year against Miami but other then that I have seen the bills use the FB on blocking max 5% of games so is there a point on having a FB or could they be better off sticking a TE flex back there when need be and save the position?

With these 5 moves the bills can add an additional $15 mil to their cap space. If things work out like i hope they do, then these positions will be filled with upgraded talent at each position. 

Not to mention possible extensions for players to reduce cap hits and keep players longer. Jerry Hughes 30 years old with 1 year left on his contract. They can extend him another 2 years reducing his cap hit for the year of $10.4 mil and Shady McCoy cap hit $9 mil extending him for 2 more years at 3-4 mil per year can clear that up as well. Shady then can extend his career in buffalo continue to be a leader in the locker room that he has and can start to give reins to another younger rb and not having to be the workhorse he once was. I do not think he has lost a step and blame this year entirely on the bad oline. If a respectable oline was back there I expect him to be back to some form of what he was last year. To me shady is on the level of AP and Gore where they did drop in stats since hitting 30+ but continued to churn out respectable stats. I expect shady to have a bounce back year and the bills can have him locked up for a couple more years at a cheaper price.

So, why did Goff see such a dramatic improvement in his play? QB coaching? Lots of people say that, but what if it is something else? What if it is simply because his OL is freaking awesome? Maybe it's because in pass protection, that OL is #1 in the league. Here are ESPN's stats through week 14. You will notice that their OL is in fact the best in the league and that every single position is staffed by someone who is top 8 in the league! So, yeah...wow.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25074144/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-leaderboard-pass-block-win-rate-pass-rush-win-rate

Did you notice the one really odd team stat? Yep, that's our Bills listed as #10 on the Team rankings!!! So, I'm left wondering WTAF?!? How are they calculating this? Well...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24892208/creating-better-nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-analytics-explainer-faq-how-work

I haven't read this 2nd part yet, but I'm immediately wondering how much of it is the offensive play-calling and how much is it game situations where we are out of it and our opponents are simply taking their foot off the gas and playing prevent.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, soflbillsfan said:

2. Trent Murphy DE with Shaq stepping in and being a capable starter for the year splitting reps when murphy is healthy hasnt been ideal. Cap hit $8.575 but can clear just over $5 mil.

We have very little depth at pass rush, and McDermott rotates his D linemen heavily so this is a complete non starter.

Hi guys! Vikings fan here.

I have a question about your receiver Robert Foster.

I'm in a deep dynasty fantasy league and picked him up 3 weeks ago after seeing his name on an add list. I was a split second from starting him yesterday over Golden Tate but decided against it (luckily it didn't cost me the game as the rest of my team did that already....)

Do you guys expect Foster to be a main option for Allen moving forward? What's his upside (decent, good, star, superstar)?

Any intel on Foster would be great! I'm excited what he's shown so far.

29 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Hi guys! Vikings fan here.

I have a question about your receiver Robert Foster.

I'm in a deep dynasty fantasy league and picked him up 3 weeks ago after seeing his name on an add list. I was a split second from starting him yesterday over Golden Tate but decided against it (luckily it didn't cost me the game as the rest of my team did that already....)

Do you guys expect Foster to be a main option for Allen moving forward? What's his upside (decent, good, star, superstar)?

Any intel on Foster would be great! I'm excited what he's shown so far.

Yeah I really do. Foster was the only Bills WR that stayed around Buffalo during the bye and worked on his chemistry with Josh Allen. It obviously has paid off because he has 100+ receiving yards in 3 of his last 5 games (with another game at 90). He's a speedster but he still has a pretty good frame at 6'2".

It's tough to tell his upside since he was an undrafted rookie.. However, he was highly recruited out of high school and ended up going to Alabama. He was underutilized there and that's how he didn't get drafted.

If he keeps this up he could be our #2 or #3 for years to come. He's typically the deep threat and with a big arm QB like Allen that's a good thing.

He might be a little inconsistent from week to week but he'll get a steady 5-6+ targets a game. I'm interested to see how he closes out these last 2 games.

@Vikes_Bolts1228

I think @BILLievers hit it on the head with Foster. His upside is a high end number 2 for the Bills. At worst he should stick around as a quality option with a lot of speed value. My biggest take away is that he isn't just beating guys deep but his route running on post, over routes and comebacks has been on display the last few weeks. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilmore lined up on him this coming weekend.

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

Yeah I really do. Foster was the only Bills WR that stayed around Buffalo during the bye and worked on his chemistry with Josh Allen. It obviously has paid off because he has 100+ receiving yards in 3 of his last 5 games (with another game at 90). He's a speedster but he still has a pretty good frame at 6'2".

It's tough to tell his upside since he was an undrafted rookie.. However, he was highly recruited out of high school and ended up going to Alabama. He was underutilized there and that's how he didn't get drafted.

If he keeps this up he could be our #2 or #3 for years to come. He's typically the deep threat and with a big arm QB like Allen that's a good thing.

He might be a little inconsistent from week to week but he'll get a steady 5-6+ targets a game. I'm interested to see how he closes out these last 2 games.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

@Vikes_Bolts1228

I think @BILLievers hit it on the head with Foster. His upside is a high end number 2 for the Bills. At worst he should stick around as a quality option with a lot of speed value. My biggest take away is that he isn't just beating guys deep but his route running on post, over routes and comebacks has been on display the last few weeks. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilmore lined up on him this coming weekend.

Thanks, gents! Hopefully (for the sake of both of us....you guys in IRL and me in FF) Foster becomes a nice find for you guys!

As a Vikings fan, we're very familiar with what a UDFA can do (Adam Thielen) so hopefully Foster can follow in the same suit!

41 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Thanks, gents! Hopefully (for the sake of both of us....you guys in IRL and me in FF) Foster becomes a nice find for you guys!

As a Vikings fan, we're very familiar with what a UDFA can do (Adam Thielen) so hopefully Foster can follow in the same suit!

Best of luck! If I had to bet I'd think he would have another good game this week. Assuming the Bills will be down all game and Allen have to throw it around.

Bills worked out some CFL studs today.

QB Bo Levi Mitchell - best QB in the league and has gotten a lot of experience with the NE Patriots of Canada. He's looking to come into a situation to be a backup with the potential to start down the road. It's also been reported he would come in as a 3rd string as long as he was getting some guaranteed in his contract. I suggest looking this guy up. Great player and human being. 

WR Duke Williams - Monster WR at 6'3 225lbs. Former UDFA of the Rams in 2016, in 31 career games in the CFL he has 134 receptions for 2994 yards and 15 TD's. I have no doubt Duke will be playing in the NFL in 2019. Hopefully in Buffalo.

WR Diontae Spencer - Think Percy Harvin. I imagine the Bills are looking for competition for Ray-ray and McKenzie in next years TC. Spencer could make a living in the slot and he certainly would add to the return game. 

Archived