A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

I think the Buffalo Bills need to find a LG unless Teller pans out and a C plus a RT in FA.  Draft the best player available in the draft my dream would of been Greedy Williams but since we won this week seems very unlikely he's there when we draft.  I think we should go RB and WR in rounds 2 and 3 if possible.  When we drafted Allen I was not a fan of his but he is here and I wish the best but we need to protect him first then get some weapons for him to succeed.   

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I think the Buffalo Bills need to find a LG unless Teller pans out and a C plus a RT in FA.  Draft the best player available in the draft my dream would of been Greedy Williams but since we won this week seems very unlikely he's there when we draft.  I think we should go RB and WR in rounds 2 and 3 if possible.  When we drafted Allen I was not a fan of his but he is here and I wish the best but we need to protect him first then get some weapons for him to succeed.   

Ideally Roger Saffold will be the LG he is 30 years old but you sign him to a 5 year deal with all of the guarantees in the 1st 3 years, sign Center Matt Paradis from Denver. RT there are a few guys out there that will be better then Jordan Mills. Teller could be pushed to RG. I do believe drafting BPA is the best case for the bills it never pans out when you draft for need over a guy who is better at a position that may not be a need.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

What are the chances one of Steve Wilks or Ron Rivera is on staff next year?

I dont think Ron Rivera is fired and I think Steve Wilks ends up being the DC or positional coach with the Panthers again as Rivera let most of the staff go on that side of the ball. 

After todays game it is clear that the bills oline is trash,  and needs to be the main priority in FA. Also outside of Foster they have no reliable weapons that can catch the ball, or create separation. Zay came on late but honestly it was pointless at that time. McKenzie is quick at times but does nothing to scream starter material. Thompson is another guy you cant trust. Croom showed why he isnt ready to take on the role as he has fumbled the ball multiple times this year. Clay being a healthy scratch is a clear indication that he is not going to be on this team next year so TE, OLINE, and WR should be the 3 things that need to be fixed right away.

Im ready for Crossman and Castillo to go both of those coaches have been hideous this year and they should be gone. 

Beane needs to get on the phone to see what WR weapons could be available in a trade. A lot of outside talk about AJ Green possibly being available if any of that is true go and get him. Eventhough he ended on the IR back to back years he still a reliable receiver who can be a #1 and has great hands something the bills WR havent had since McDermott got here. Its exhausting to see Allen show so much promise on plays only to be let down of the receiver dropping the ball. 

This team needs a #1 WR in the worst way.

Foster, Zay Jones and McKenzie can stay, but they play a particular role and it's not #1 material. 

Allen needs a guy like De'Andre Hopkins, Julio Jones, AJ Green (as mentioned), or Michael Thomas. Someone who can go up, make contested catches and show good body positioning to create space, etc. I could go down a list of traits but we all know what we need. 

Now that I've watched the WR prospects more carefully as of late, and now that the CFB season has concluded, I've come down off AJ Brown as my top target. If you watched his last half of the year you'll know why.

N'Keal Harry is the guy to keep high on your list if he isn't already. He has all the tools to be an impact #1 WR. He's my draft crush this year. Also worth mentioning – he's got a really cool story and good upbringing. His grandma helped raise him in the U.S. where he could pursue football while he was away from his family in the Caribbeans for 6-7 years. Seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders and appears to be a culture fit. Beane and McDermott certainly value those kinds of things. Harry could easily be the guy we go after, and considering where we may pick, it could be a perfect location to get him.

D.K. Metcalf is a physical specimen with potential to be a top WR in the NFL, but his injury concerns are very important to consider. We already dealt with a injury prone could-have-been superstar in Sammy Watkins. I love to think about what he could be, but is it worth the risk? His medical will be something we will want to keep a close eye on as the offseason scouting begins.

Riley Ridley looks to be just as good, and possibly better than his brother Calvin of the Atlanta Falcons. He stands out in every Georgia game I watch. It's hard to ignore what he has done against SEC defenses as well. He's someone I expect to rise up the boards based on untapped potential. Have more to watch on him and look forward to watching him during the CFB playoffs.

Others guys I want to keep an eye on that seem to be more of a late first, second-third round targets – Kelvin Harmon, Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Collin Johnson, David Sills, Anthony Johnson (UB represent!)

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We're going to have a bunch of veeeeeeeeeeery interested suitors for our pick to trade up for a QB this year if we can land top-5 (please win next week Jets). Could set the franchise up for the next half decade if we play this draft right.

Yea we can fall back this draft for Harry, Metcalf or OL help

I finally found the article where Beane said, "The key to free agency is to set yourself up so that you're not drafting for need, that you're drafting best player available". With a strong defensive presence in this upcoming draft, don't be surprised when that side of the ball gets addressed some more.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/44a1126607494/bills-gm-brandon-beane-gives-b.html

Given our cap space plus how young the team is, I have a feeling we will be adding a fairly high number of veterans this off-season...at least to the extent we can.

And saying that...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/11/bills_gm_brandon_beane_on_how_buffalo_can_be_free_agent_destination.html

Is this a sign that we are looking at pass rushers? Draft has `em.

Lastly, just a little insight in where Beane wants to end up offensively...he want's us to be explosive like KC! He also believes Daboll can help us do that. What I especially appreciated about this article was the fact that Daboll's 1st priority when he felt he had disappointed, was to go back and re-learn offensive line play! You know this is getting addressed this off-season if Daboll gets his way! Hoo-rah!

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/11/22ff6adf4fa44/bills-gm-brandon-beane-we-want.html

On 12/24/2018 at 11:51 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

We're going to have a bunch of veeeeeeeeeeery interested suitors for our pick to trade up for a QB this year if we can land top-5 (please win next week Jets). Could set the franchise up for the next half decade if we play this draft right.

But who though?? The only QB needy teams would be JAX, NYG & WAS. The Jags and Giants will be right there with us draft position wise. And unless Brady/Rivers/Brees retires this offseason theres nobody outside of those 3 that would show interest that early in the draft. We would have to finish worse than those 3 to even be considered for someone to move up for a QB. Washington will be but the other two all depends on this last game. Also how they view the QB class.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:19 AM, Yibbyl said:

I finally found the article where Beane said, "The key to free agency is to set yourself up so that you're not drafting for need, that you're drafting best player available". With a strong defensive presence in this upcoming draft, don't be surprised when that side of the ball gets addressed some more.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/44a1126607494/bills-gm-brandon-beane-gives-b.html

Given our cap space plus how young the team is, I have a feeling we will be adding a fairly high number of veterans this off-season...at least to the extent we can.

And saying that...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/11/bills_gm_brandon_beane_on_how_buffalo_can_be_free_agent_destination.html

Is this a sign that we are looking at pass rushers? Draft has `em.

Lastly, just a little insight in where Beane wants to end up offensively...he want's us to be explosive like KC! He also believes Daboll can help us do that. What I especially appreciated about this article was the fact that Daboll's 1st priority when he felt he had disappointed, was to go back and re-learn offensive line play! You know this is getting addressed this off-season if Daboll gets his way! Hoo-rah!

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/11/22ff6adf4fa44/bills-gm-brandon-beane-we-want.html

Yes I completely agree with this. I think the bills need to push to fill the roster with veterans and upgrades at the positions. Oline is definitely where they need to invest the 90 mil and not count on the draft to fill the holes. Another option is pushing to trade for a veteran wr, Aj Green at 30 years old on his last year of contract coming off IR, Julio Jones may be an option as he is 30 and the falcons have sanu and ridley who have shown to be a great duo for them if they are looking to move on. Mike Evans could be a possibility simply because they are looking to rebuild if they move on from the HC and Winston. The draft may have one but those guys to me are on the level of Mike Williams and Corey Davis where they may become something a few years down the road and not a #1 day 1 like Julio and AJ were when they were drafted. I also would like them to let Murphy go and bring in Demarcus Lawrence as he is a great piece to play opposite to Hughes.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes I completely agree with this. I think the bills need to push to fill the roster with veterans and upgrades at the positions. Oline is definitely where they need to invest the 90 mil and not count on the draft to fill the holes. Another option is pushing to trade for a veteran wr, Aj Green at 30 years old on his last year of contract coming off IR, Julio Jones may be an option as he is 30 and the falcons have sanu and ridley who have shown to be a great duo for them if they are looking to move on. Mike Evans could be a possibility simply because they are looking to rebuild if they move on from the HC and Winston. The draft may have one but those guys to me are on the level of Mike Williams and Corey Davis where they may become something a few years down the road and not a #1 day 1 like Julio and AJ were when they were drafted. I also would like them to let Murphy go and bring in Demarcus Lawrence as he is a great piece to play opposite to Hughes.

I agree with what you said about finding some veteran upgrades, but you're dreaming a bit with some of those names you mentioned my man lol.

Julio is going nowhere. Atlanta will ride Julio and Matt Ryan as long as possible, and I think they both have plenty left in the tank. Sanu is a guy I expect to be on the market this offseason with Ridley breaking out. 

Mike Evans just got a massive contract extension and given his age, he'll cost us our 1st round pick (especially if Amari Cooper just got that return). I wouldn't mind that move, but I honestly think drafting N'Keal Harry, who has a similar skill-set on a rookie deal is a better direction if we're giving our 1st round pick to a WR. AJ Green is semi-realistic though, I'd love to have him depending on the price to acquire him. If the price is a 1st round pick, no thanks.

Demarcus Lawrence coming here would be highly unlikely and is going to get paid mega-millions. Proven pass rushers get paid premium dollars, I just don't see us pulling a Mario Williams-like move. Would also be very surprising to see Dallas let him walk. They have a great young nucleus with him, Zeke, Amari and Dak (overrated IMO but whatever), and just had a great find in Leighton Vander Esch to solidify the linebacking group with Sean Lee. I see Dallas using their cap to retain those key core players in the next couple seasons. 

26 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

I agree with what you said about finding some veteran upgrades, but you're dreaming a bit with some of those names you mentioned my man lol.

Julio is going nowhere. Atlanta will ride Julio and Matt Ryan as long as possible, and I think they both have plenty left in the tank. Sanu is a guy I expect to be on the market this offseason with Ridley breaking out. 

Mike Evans just got a massive contract extension and given his age, he'll cost us our 1st round pick (especially if Amari Cooper just got that return). I wouldn't mind that move, but I honestly think drafting N'Keal Harry, who has a similar skill-set on a rookie deal is a better direction if we're giving our 1st round pick to a WR. AJ Green is semi-realistic though, I'd love to have him depending on the price to acquire him. If the price is a 1st round pick, no thanks.

Demarcus Lawrence coming here would be highly unlikely and is going to get paid mega-millions. Proven pass rushers get paid premium dollars, I just don't see us pulling a Mario Williams-like move. Would also be very surprising to see Dallas let him walk. They have a great young nucleus with him, Zeke, Amari and Dak (overrated IMO but whatever), and just had a great find in Leighton Vander Esch to solidify the linebacking group with Sean Lee. I see Dallas using their cap to retain those key core players in the next couple seasons. 

Julio was quietly being discussed this past offseason and he has struggled a lot this year coming on late with them having a similar skill set to ridley is why i think they could move on from him if they wanted to clear up some cap space especially if they move on from Quinn this offseason. That is why I brought him up. As for Evans, Tampa sports news was the one who brought it up as a possibility but I also think it is a long shot. 

Im just skeptical about these WR coming out as they need time to grow and it is hard to do that when your looking for a consistent guy who can help allen out that is why some guys are being discussed as trade options. I think Julio and AJ would be available for the right price but not sure what that price is, some media outlets think two 2nd rd picks for julio or aj would get the job done. Harry and several other WR are being linked to late 1st round to early 2nd round because they arent the game changing ready to go players and if this is true and bills are selecting between 4-11 i do not want to reach for someone to fill a position over grabbing a stud defensive player which is heavily weighted in the early 1st rd.

As for Lawrence, Dallas has limited cap with guys coming up needing contract extensions and Jerry brought up twice this year that both Cooper and Dak are in negotiations at the moment, with the high cap they already have and the demand for Lawrence he could be the odd man out as this isnt their 1st time letting a stud pass rusher walk. Bills have the cap and he is young, hughes is coming off a good year but he is also getting up there in age as well this would be a great plan especially when they have guys rotating out so often. They can have both guys on the field at times, one can rest while the other is in, and vis versa. Its likely not going to happen but they have the funds to pay a guy that can make a difference on the line. 

Again im just stating what is being talked about from guys who have the inside scoop on players. Usually when there is smoke there is fire and Aj, Julio and Lawrence are being discussed as possibly being on other teams next year.

Archived