A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

9 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

And then we're back to a zone blocking scheme again, right? Personally, I prefer it, but we just spent the last couple of years acquiring and training OL-men to play in a power/man blocking scheme. Maybe this actually helps improve the OL as they might be better fits in the zone scheme, but I doubt it. And that means our OL will need even more blowing up than we already suspected. Not sure how I would feel about that hire. I might prefer the scheme, but I'm not sure I'll have the patience to see it fully installed.

As @soflbillsfan said, Dawkins is really the only one who would be affected by this. Heck he may even take a jump forward in a different scheme that uses his athleticism. 

Fun fact, Kugler coached Wyatt Teller at the Senior Bowl last year.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea Allen Robinson was a nice get for them and I even liked the Eagles getting Alshon unfortunately the WR FA market is bare this year. Grabbing a guy like tate and drafting someone in the 2nd rd would be the best bet and then 2020 free agency/draft find someone early on to be the ideal #1 guy.

If you caught last nights CFC game, there's 2 guys right there who can be our #1 in 2020. Exciting to think about having a chance at Jerry Jeudy or Higgins. There's also true freshmen Justyn Ross, who could being the best of that trio, unfortunately he's a 1st round lock for 2021. We can't wait until then to address the position though.  

Fix the o-line this year. Plug in some upgraded weapons this year via FA and later in the draft, and then go all out weapons in 2020.

We'll likely need a RB next year as well, and the class is loaded there thankfully.  

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

As @soflbillsfan said, Dawkins is really the only one who would be affected by this. Heck he may even take a jump forward in a different scheme that uses his athleticism. 

Fun fact, Kugler coached Wyatt Teller at the Senior Bowl last year.

I also was leaning towards 4 replacements, though it seemed like most commenting in here had only been thinking of 3. Anyway, a switch makes the backups - assuming they really are better in a power/man scheme - worthless as well. So, we'd need more than 4. Anyway, as I mentioned, it is possible some of these guys benefit from the switch, but if our staff did their jobs, they likely brought in people who excelled at power/man.

I do absolutely prefer zone blocking though. The zone offers much more consistency in the ~5 yard per carry range, but in theory is less likely to generate the long ~20 yard runs. Those long runs are so rare IMHO, that I'd rather have the more consistent 5's. Most of you probably remember Chan Gaily's O. As much as it frustrated us, the running game always produced. He utilized the zone and we always had a great ground game you could count on. Denver & the Shanahan's did this as well. Their guys were basically interchangeable when rushing and performed best in that scheme and saw a noticeable drop-off when they switched to teams running power/man. I'd love to have that quality ground game consistency back.

To the bolded...No kidding? Huh.

9 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I also was leaning towards 4 replacements, though it seemed like most commenting in here had only been thinking of 3. Anyway, a switch makes the backups - assuming they really are better in a power/man scheme - worthless as well. So, we'd need more than 4. Anyway, as I mentioned, it is possible some of these guys benefit from the switch, but if our staff did their jobs, they likely brought in people who excelled at power/man.

I do absolutely prefer zone blocking though. The zone offers much more consistency in the ~5 yard per carry range, but in theory is less likely to generate the long ~20 yard runs. Those long runs are so rare IMHO, that I'd rather have the more consistent 5's. Most of you probably remember Chan Gaily's O. As much as it frustrated us, the running game always produced. He utilized the zone and we always had a great ground game you could count on. Denver & the Shanahan's did this as well. Their guys were basically interchangeable when rushing and performed best in that scheme and saw a noticeable drop-off when they switched to teams running power/man. I'd love to have that quality ground game consistency back.

To the bolded...No kidding? Huh.

Here is the deal John Miller, Jordan Mills, and Ryan Groy are free agents. Bills also have Ducasse $2,083,00 and Bodine $2,806,422 under contract for one more year. They release those guys they are saving over $4.3 million. Ducasse will have $83k in dead cap and Bodine will have $500k in dead cap. So in my opinion those guys will be gone as well. If what Trent is saying then Teller knows some of what he is about, so it shouldnt be over complicated if he were to come in. All in all I think that this oline is continuing the Beane/MCdermott process and is a complete overhaul. Leaving only Dawkins and Teller on the roster and starting fresh even with backups so everyone would be on the same page. 

On 1/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, Billsfaninptown said:

Looks like Kugler isn't going to the Bucs after all. Bills are reported to be in play for him still.

Marty Mortinweg is also being mentioned as a possibility now that he has left Baltimore. Why not look at Munchak? It seems like he is out of the HC and OC jobs unless the Dolphins or Bengals bring him in and he has done a nice job with the steelers oline. His contract is up so he is technically able to sign where ever he wants without permission from the team.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Marty Mortinweg is also being mentioned as a possibility now that he has left Baltimore. Why not look at Munchak? It seems like he is out of the HC and OC jobs unless the Dolphins or Bengals bring him in and he has done a nice job with the steelers oline. His contract is up so he is technically able to sign where ever he wants without permission from the team.

I think I heard Munchak was a HC with one of the new, alternate league's teams, but not sure. It's probably in here somewhere...

http://footballscoop.com/news/scoop-nfl-stafftracker-2018-19-new-head-coaches-staffs/

BTW, this site has Kugler hired by the Cardinals.

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I think I heard Munchak was a HC with one of the new, alternate league's teams, but not sure. It's probably in here somewhere...

http://footballscoop.com/news/scoop-nfl-stafftracker-2018-19-new-head-coaches-staffs/

BTW, this site has Kugler hired by the Cardinals.

Munchuk was the runner up in Denver but looks like he may become their OC or at least the OL coach.

And yeah Kugler signed with the Cards today unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Munchuk was the runner up in Denver but looks like he may become their OC or at least the OL coach.

And yeah Kugler signed with the Cards today unfortunately. 

would he really want to go to the team that denied him the HC option to coach OL? I think if they dont get him for OC he wouldnt go for OL. Probably stay in Pitt unless someone offers him more money which would be worth it for the bills. Since he has made a solid oline for any rb to run behind it, which proved it this year when bell was out and they plugged in connor. The bills would possibly be able to do that at the Rb position if he were the coach.

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

as a QB coach who worked with McDermott and Culley in the past, I think its not a bad option to look at. Maybe as anything more would be an issue.

I just don't see us moving Culley to WR coach who has built a report with Allen/Anderson/Barkley and Culley actually had some questionable WR units in KC including the no TD year. 

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

would he really want to go to the team that denied him the HC option to coach OL? I think if they dont get him for OC he wouldnt go for OL. Probably stay in Pitt unless someone offers him more money which would be worth it for the bills. Since he has made a solid oline for any rb to run behind it, which proved it this year when bell was out and they plugged in connor. The bills would possibly be able to do that at the Rb position if he were the coach.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/standoff-with-broncos-over-munchak-could-turn-into-bidding-war/

Sounds like he not only made an impression on them but the Broncos did on him as well. 

19 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/standoff-with-broncos-over-munchak-could-turn-into-bidding-war/

Sounds like he not only made an impression on them but the Broncos did on him as well. 

You are right he signed with the broncos as OL coach but no OC has been signed. This move is a head scratcher as the Broncos still dont have an OC

Maybe their new OC is still in the playoffs and is aware of this move, if not this is such a weird timing hire as the OC is now stuck with him and can deter them away if he doesnt get a say in his coaching staff

Archived