A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

47 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Jonah williams has great hands and placement on the defender but he lacks the strength on his arms and he struggles on quickness when it comes to facing speed rushers and gets abused at times, most notably the National Championship but you can see this consistency through out the year. He is still a bit raw and i would think he is better suited at the RT position or possibly a guard who may transition in to a future LT. I do not see him overtaking Dawkins as of yet maybe down the line but at this point is he worth taking at 9 if this is true? He may be the best olineman in the draft but he wouldnt have been in 2018 draft. As for little there is no comparison he is far more inferior and is still very raw to take at 9 is a huge risk and better off going for Jonah if you go oline in the draft. 

I do agree Josh Allen will not be there and wish the bills lost to the dolphins in order of getting a better shot at him and knew this was going to be the situation if they did win. Hopefully QBs do get taken and guys like White, or Greedy fall. I still am not in belief Oliver is going to be there but it is a better possibility then Allen. Im still not sold on Ferrell i feel like he has exploded on the scene for clemson like Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd did and they both have struggled mightily at the next level. Im still wondering what separates Clelin from Shaq so any insite would be good. 

I wouldn't compare Ferrell to Shaq. Strictly based on numbers, Clelin Ferrell had 3 years of production, with 6 sacks his freshmen year, 9.5 his junior and 11.5 this year. Just watching him he looks like a more impactful player too. Luckily I can remember watching all 3 play. Ferrell is the real deal, I just doubt he makes it to us. 

Dodd definitely was a one year wonder, and Shaq only had one year of decent numbers (his draft year when he had 12.5 sacks). I was not a fan of the Shaq pick when we made it, understood it, but didn't feel like we got an impact player.

17 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

What I'm thinking as a realistic OL right now

LT Dawkins
LG Saffold (Bobby Johnson recruited him and coached him at Indiana)
C: R.3  Elton Jenkins Miss St.
RG: Teller/Glowinksi (from Colts)
RT:R.1 trade back Andre Dillard

Sirles, Boetteger, Juwan James as depth. 

Juwan James is going to be seeking high compensation and a starting job dont see him being a depth signing. He was graded out as one of the better RT free agents before he got injured.

13 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Juwan James is going to be seeking high compensation and a starting job dont see him being a depth signing. He was graded out as one of the better RT free agents before he got injured.

You're probably right. Heck I would be fine bringing him in with the connection to the front office to be our starting RT.

My mind will change everyday but I am falling love with the C at the combine. Bradbury from NC State and McCoy from Texas S&M could be long term starters. 

13 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Its not really 2019 offseason news just thought it was interesting that 4 of the top brass for browns wanted to sign McDermott but the owner Haslem over ruled them and went with Hue. I wonder if he did take the job who the bills would have had as HC

If memory serves, Lynn was the front runner until McDermott blew away the Pegulas. 

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

A few offensive Senior Bowl standouts that the Bills have scouted and/or are of position of interest.

OT Andre Dillard
OT Dalton Risner
OC Garrett Bradburry
OC Erik McCoy
OC Elgton Jenkins 
WR Debo Samuel
WR Tery McLaurin
TE Tommy Sweeney

Im all for drafting these guys for depth but im not sure the front office are going to count on any olineman in the draft to start right away. I think they are going to build the starters through free agency as this will be one of those seasons where its showing your capable of being the Gm/Hc or your put on the hot seat. I think they stick around until 2020 season win or lose but this is definitely the year to show they are ready to take the next step that the organization hasnt really seen since the early 90s

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im all for drafting these guys for depth but im not sure the front office are going to count on any olineman in the draft to start right away. I think they are going to build the starters through free agency as this will be one of those seasons where its showing your capable of being the Gm/Hc or your put on the hot seat. I think they stick around until 2020 season win or lose but this is definitely the year to show they are ready to take the next step that the organization hasnt really seen since the early 90s

All the OL listed will be starting come September or at the very least competing to do so right away. This free agency class is really only top heavy for OL. Unless the Bills land Saffold, Paradis and one of James/Daryl Williams/Massie for RT we will have a rookie (quite possibly two) starting on the OL this year. I doubt the Bills are capable of landing all three of those positions in free agency. 

I am thinking we go for Matt Paradis as our big ticket item. Having a veteran C who is still relatively young to go with Josh Allen makes a lot of sense. We may dip our toes in the middle Guard pool (Glowinski, Cann, Jeff Allen) but I think we address Tackle in the draft with day 1 talent like J. Williams, Dillard, Taylor and Risner available in round 1 and 2.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

All the OL listed will be starting come September or at the very least competing to do so right away. This free agency class is really only top heavy for OL. Unless the Bills land Saffold, Paradis and one of James/Daryl Williams/Massie for RT we will have a rookie (quite possibly two) starting on the OL this year. I doubt the Bills are capable of landing all three of those positions in free agency. 

I am thinking we go for Matt Paradis as our big ticket item. Having a veteran C who is still relatively young to go with Josh Allen makes a lot of sense. We may dip our toes in the middle Guard pool (Glowinski, Cann, Jeff Allen) but I think we address Tackle in the draft with day 1 talent like J. Williams, Dillard, Taylor and Risner available in round 1 and 2.

Not only do I not think we will land 3 FA's to start on our OL, but I think we need to really lower our expectations of which FA's we are able to get. I'm betting the Rams juggle enough money/players to resign Saffold. They'd be crazy not to at least try to keep him - he's just too damn good to let walk. I agree with targeting Paradis, as I think finding a quality C is one of the hardest acquisitions to make in all of football, behind only finding a franchise QB. Paradis is from Idaho, went to school in Idaho, and ended up playing for Denver, which is close to his family/stomping grounds. It may very well be he takes less money to stay there than whatever we or any other team in the eastern U.S. can offer simply because he gets to stay near his home. He's my #1 target and I'd overpay to get him. but I could see him playing for a "local" rebuild more than some rebuilding team significantly further away from his family and friends.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:33 PM, soflbillsfan said:

I don't know I think we will find a combination. Would not be surprised to build interior through free agency and draft a LT like Jonah and move Dion back to RT. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:56 AM, Yibbyl said:

Not only do I not think we will land 3 FA's to start on our OL, but I think we need to really lower our expectations of which FA's we are able to get. I'm betting the Rams juggle enough money/players to resign Saffold. They'd be crazy not to at least try to keep him - he's just too damn good to let walk. I agree with targeting Paradis, as I think finding a quality C is one of the hardest acquisitions to make in all of football, behind only finding a franchise QB. Paradis is from Idaho, went to school in Idaho, and ended up playing for Denver, which is close to his family/stomping grounds. It may very well be he takes less money to stay there than whatever we or any other team in the eastern U.S. can offer simply because he gets to stay near his home. He's my #1 target and I'd overpay to get him. but I could see him playing for a "local" rebuild more than some rebuilding team significantly further away from his family and friends.

The one thing with a guy like Paradis, he has his Super Bowl ring and played for his home town. He may not just be looking to earn his pay day and follow the money. Denver currently only has about 37 mil in cap space. Paradis could get a 10-12 per year deal from a team like the Bills or Jets. It would be a pretty loft hometown discount if he stays IMO.

So, I'm looking at Cam Newton's 2015 stats and he killed it (35 TD's, 10 INT's) and that was under Dorsey's help. Cam's targets that year might surprise some people. The WR's were nothing to brag about...Ted Ginn led them with 739 yds/10TD's, followed by Jericho Cotchery with 485 yds/3TD's, David Funchess with 473 yds/5TD's, and Corey Brown with 447 yds/4 TD's. Obviously, that's not anywhere near 35 TD's, so where did they come from? Ladies and gentlemen, Greg Olson! Dude led the team in receiving yardage with 1104, receptions with 77, and finished 2nd in TD's with 7. He was Cam's most utilized weapon.

So, it makes me wonder, is this the year we finally get ourselves a real weapon at TE? Our current batch of guys are far from complete players, so the position certainly could be upgraded. Thing is, most of the TE's coming out this year are probably not going to help in the run game, but many of them run good routes and can catch. The big name is Iowa's Noah Fant, who can help out in the running and passing game. The real cream of the crop IMO though is T.J. Hockenson, who is also from Iowa. That kid is a complete TE and is as fast, but bigger than Fant and I think he might be the youngest TE coming out, because he is just a Sophomore. A sleeper could be San Jose State's Josh Oliver. Word is Oliver impressed quite a few people at the Senior Bowl. Jace Sternberger from TX A&M was a dependable receiver, but like Oliver, possesses just average speed. If we are not going to be concerned with blocking skills, I would look at Stanford's Kaden Smith. You know how I complained about K-Benji being too soft because he never fought for the ball last season? Smith is the complete opposite of that. He can jump like crazy and will out-battle anyone for the ball. He is fiercely competitive. (Gawd, I still hate that wimpy KB!) Anyway, if we can do some good in FA addressing the OL, we might be able to land a quality TE with a day 2-ish pick.

16 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, I'm looking at Cam Newton's 2015 stats and he killed it (35 TD's, 10 INT's) and that was under Dorsey's help. Cam's targets that year might surprise some people. The WR's were nothing to brag about...Ted Ginn led them with 739 yds/10TD's, followed by Jericho Cotchery with 485 yds/3TD's, David Funchess with 473 yds/5TD's, and Corey Brown with 447 yds/4 TD's. Obviously, that's not anywhere near 35 TD's, so where did they come from? Ladies and gentlemen, Greg Olson! Dude led the team in receiving yardage with 1104, receptions with 77, and finished 2nd in TD's with 7. He was Cam's most utilized weapon.

So, it makes me wonder, is this the year we finally get ourselves a real weapon at TE? Our current batch of guys are far from complete players, so the position certainly could be upgraded. Thing is, most of the TE's coming out this year are probably not going to help in the run game, but many of them run good routes and can catch. The big name is Iowa's Noah Fant, who can help out in the running and passing game. The real cream of the crop IMO though is T.J. Hockenson, who is also from Iowa. That kid is a complete TE and is as fast, but bigger than Fant and I think he might be the youngest TE coming out, because he is just a Sophomore. A sleeper could be San Jose State's Josh Oliver. Word is Oliver impressed quite a few people at the Senior Bowl. Jace Sternberger from TX A&M was a dependable receiver, but like Oliver, possesses just average speed. If we are not going to be concerned with blocking skills, I would look at Stanford's Kaden Smith. You know how I complained about K-Benji being too soft because he never fought for the ball last season? Smith is the complete opposite of that. He can jump like crazy and will out-battle anyone for the ball. He is fiercely competitive. (Gawd, I still hate that wimpy KB!) Anyway, if we can do some good in FA addressing the OL, we might be able to land a quality TE with a day 2-ish pick.

Ideally if they have a shot at a TE i would really like Jared Cook he seems to be reliable and could be the answer for the next couple of years....I doubt I see Colts move on from Ebron as they have more cap then the bills. I wouldnt mind drafting one in the 2nd-3rd rd too and have 2 Te sets. 

I hope last nights game got people off the ridiculous Leveon Bell bandwagon.

best QB to ever play the game went up against an offense avg. 33 points a game and it was a defensive slugfest. No RB had 100 yards in the game and the seasons best back Gurley was a non factor. Defense still wins championships and you have to be able to throw to win. Surround Allen with OL and WR's. Not an overpriced RB with off-field issues.

Archived