A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

The point chart isn't the holy grail and this draft is top end stacked. I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't be settling. I don't see 6 DL going before us so one of Quinnen, Gary, Bosa, Allen, Ferrell, Oliver will be there. All are huge gets. Screw a chart if someone wants to jump up for one they should be getting taxed

Agreed. I basically throw out the chart with a top 10 selection. They're a lot more valuable to me. 

It's almost ridiculous to argue against drafting White but I don't like it. LB is not a need or even close to a need. You can plug in an average SLB with Edmunds and Milano and our LB core is insane. He wont go top 10 because the draft is so loaded with DL who are almost always more coveted.

Another thing i'd add to trading back is this draft isn't really deep. Some positions are deep like OL and WR (both huge needs) but I wouldn't say this draft is deep and another reason why the value of a top 10-12 pick SHOULD be worth more

When you have a talented SLB that can wreak havoc against opponents QBs especially during a blitz. Lorenzo Alexander has been great at that. Also not to mention the sideline to sideline capability is a huge aspect of McDermott's defense he relies on these guys to get there as quickly as possible which is why Carolina's LB corps has been good for so many years. Being able to cover that much ground prevents big break out runs. When Milano went down there was a huge drop in production particularly against the patriots as they knew that the LBs werent as fast when he was out there which is why they worked the outside run and crushed us. We both think differently but I rather go White then settle for a 2nd/3rd tier dlineman. Outside of Oliver, Q williams interior drops in my opinion as both can easily play the 1 and 3 position which is what we need. Im not sold on Wilkins tier that can do that. Same with Pass rusher Allen and bosa are top tier guys, Gary can be argued in there but other then that there isnt a dominant edge rusher then those 3 so if those top 5 dlineman are off the board i would rather go White then settle for a Burns or Wilkins type player at 9. 

Tampa franchising Donovan Smith.. Seems kind of odd

I dont think it was a surprise they need the LT position to be filled and want to see what winston can do under Arians offense and this provides a great opportunity for them. Another option could be to try and trade him rather then letting a top tier OT hit the free agency 

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

Agreed. I basically throw out the chart with a top 10 selection. They're a lot more valuable to me. 

charts are crap ever since the new cba. Its all about supply and demand. Since the draft was heavily rated with QBs last year you can get more then what you would get on a draft a year before. Just look at the 2013 draft no qbs in it, the Dolphins went from 12 to 3 by only giving up a 2nd rd and 1st rd swap. Last year the jets went from 6 to 3 and had to give up three 2nd rd picks because the demand was there. So its just a matter of how many teams want to move up to the spots in order to know what you will get out of it. Bills just need to figure out if the offer is worth the move. 

3 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

The point chart isn't the holy grail and this draft is top end stacked. I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't be settling. I don't see 6 DL going before us so one of Quinnen, Gary, Bosa, Allen, Ferrell, Oliver will be there. All are huge gets. Screw a chart if someone wants to jump up for one they should be getting taxed

That chart is not the be all end all but GM's do use it as a base. 

I do agree the Bills are in a great spot at 9 though I am not sure I see Ferrell going as high anymore. As of right now I see the top 9 players being taken as (no particular order):
QB: Murray
QB: Haskins
DE: Bosa
DE: Allen
DT: Williams
DL: Gary
DL Oliver
DL Sweat
WR Metcalf/ TE Hockenson 

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

That chart is not the be all end all but GM's do use it as a base. 

I do agree the Bills are in a great spot at 9 though I am not sure I see Ferrell going as high anymore. As of right now I see the top 9 players being taken as (no particular order):
QB: Murray
QB: Haskins
DE: Bosa
DE: Allen
DT: Williams
DL: Gary
DL Oliver
DL Sweat
WR Metcalf/ TE Hockenson 

Im not buying Hockenson or Sweat as top 10 picks. Even if Hockenson is the best Te in the draft he isnt a top tier talent to say that he can go in the top 10 unless there is a team that desperately needs a Te, possibly bills and jags but both teams have other more pressing needs at the moment. Sweat can run a fast 40 in spandex but his overall game film doesnt show he is top 10 talent either, he may have gone from early 20s to low-mid teens. Wr is definitely one of those positions that can go high based on potential and the position of being a play maker Metcalf showing that he is a physical freak is definitely getting team salivating over especially with half the teams in the top 10 needing a play maker like that. I still think White, and Greedy will likely be a top 10 option as well, top corner and LB who have shown more then enough at the combine to be above the rest at their specific position. Wilkins is on the cusp of that....I agree on farrell he is one that will go in the teens. We will have to see what teams do in free agency to get a better idea of making trades, at this point the trade will happen when the bills are on the clock and the right amount of picks/players it would take for a team to take the 9th pick.

18 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The NFL Draft board guys on here all believe Risner and Lindstrom will be first round picks.

Both would be great options for the Bills if they can trade down. Plug and play guys on the right.

I want both tbh

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im not buying Hockenson or Sweat as top 10 picks. Even if Hockenson is the best Te in the draft he isnt a top tier talent to say that he can go in the top 10 unless there is a team that desperately needs a Te, possibly bills and jags but both teams have other more pressing needs at the moment. Sweat can run a fast 40 in spandex but his overall game film doesnt show he is top 10 talent either, he may have gone from early 20s to low-mid teens. Wr is definitely one of those positions that can go high based on potential and the position of being a play maker Metcalf showing that he is a physical freak is definitely getting team salivating over especially with half the teams in the top 10 needing a play maker like that. I still think White, and Greedy will likely be a top 10 option as well, top corner and LB who have shown more then enough at the combine to be above the rest at their specific position. Wilkins is on the cusp of that....I agree on farrell he is one that will go in the teens. We will have to see what teams do in free agency to get a better idea of making trades, at this point the trade will happen when the bills are on the clock and the right amount of picks/players it would take for a team to take the 9th pick.

Hockenson yes, Sweat no.. Not a fan of Sweat

There goes my dream offseason of having Jerry Hughes and Demarcus Lawrence pass rush for the bills this year. He was just tagged again, I hope he sits out and screws Dallas for tagging him after agreeing they wouldn't when he signed the tag last year. This is one rule a player should be allowed to add to an agreement if they are tagged once they should be able to say no to it happening again giving a guy a chance to get a big pay day.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

There goes my dream offseason of having Jerry Hughes and Demarcus Lawrence pass rush for the bills this year. He was just tagged again, I hope he sits out and screws Dallas for tagging him after agreeing they wouldn't when he signed the tag last year. This is one rule a player should be allowed to add to an agreement if they are tagged once they should be able to say no to it happening again giving a guy a chance to get a big pay day.

He's going to get 20 million when he signs his tag. Its not long term money but still a lot of money. Don't see why he would be upset.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I forgot to add White to that list tbh. Also i don't think many people have Greedy as their top CB. I've seen Murphy and Baker mocked ahead of him and on analyst big boards. 

Guys like Sweat rise every year. I could easily see the Lions taking him at 8 over Ferrell or Burns. Not sure how you can say Hockenson isn't a top tier talent. The production is there and he did nothing at the combine to change that. 4.7 at his height and weight is damn impressive. He was 2nd to only Fant in the broad jump and vertical jump. He is going to be an immediate starter and mid field threat for an offense. 

7 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Bills are one of the teams expressing interest in signing Dwayne Allen. He was cut by NE so he can be signed at anytime. I liked him back when he played for Indy but never did much for NE.

Solid blocker and veteran presence. If it was dirt cheap I would be okay with it.

Archived