A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

Not that it matters as I wanted the thread closed on the AB topic just cause it didnt happen but Albert Breer From Si cleared the air on how it went down https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

Basically the bills and steelers agreed on a deal the bills were talking to Rosenhaus Browns agent and they wanted a new contract but the bills werent budging which is why and how the deal fell through so all those media haters saying AB was the one that stopped the deal should know the facts before chirping. 

34 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not that it matters as I wanted the thread closed on the AB topic just cause it didnt happen but Albert Breer From Si cleared the air on how it went down https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

Basically the bills and steelers agreed on a deal the bills were talking to Rosenhaus Browns agent and they wanted a new contract but the bills werent budging which is why and how the deal fell through so all those media haters saying AB was the one that stopped the deal should know the facts before chirping. 

Makes me curious. What does Brown want? A new 5 year, 20 mil per year deal? He's already making 17 mil per year. Probably wants a 100% guaranteed contract. After his comments last week, you'd have to be insane to meet any of his demands. He screwed himself over so badly with that interview (as @Yibbyl brought up earlier in the week). A team has to be nuts to offer a monster contract to a 30 year old diva.

Thank god it didn't work out. What a mess.

34 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Makes me curious. What does Brown want? A new 5 year, 20 mil per year deal? He's already making 17 mil per year. Probably wants a 100% guaranteed contract. After his comments last week, you'd have to be insane to meet any of his demands. He screwed himself over so badly with that interview (as @Yibbyl brought up earlier in the week). A team has to be nuts to offer a monster contract to a 30 year old diva.

Thank god it didn't work out. What a mess.

Yea, I never truly wanted him and it was a bit exciting to think about when they did say they landed him but i think it was a blessing in disguise. Kind of like last years draft when so many including myself were so high on Josh Rosen then hearing his interview after the 1st rd made me so glad the bills didnt take him. From following this brown thing from the beginning he was crying about wanting respect and that growing issues with him and ben as well as the Gm and coaching staff calling everyone but Ben children. I understood that he wanted out for that reason. Teams were interested and i guess the bills were one of them. Then he starts talking about a new contract which then started to realize ok he doesnt care about the respect he just wants more money, since he is 31 years old and knows his contract is good until hes 34 years old. According to PFT, one team has stated by his agent that he wants to be the highest paid WR in the league. Very few teams start approaching the steelers because of him burning his bridges in the locker room which is a big NO NO now this I need to get paid bit probably solidified on him staying at the price he is at with the steelers or he retires and pays back some of that money. I like where beane and mcdermotts head is at by going for a big time player like that glad it didnt work out and hopefully they look at some other team for a guy, my top choice all summer long has been Aj Green and would like him if he was on the block but it seems what I want never happens. 

With the whole trust the process and family schtick, I am really surprised we were this serious about bringing this guy in. People are giving credit to Beane about going for it and trying to add talent, but at what cost? This guy doesn't fit the culture that McBeane are building. They gutted the roster and got rid of guys like Dareus, which based off his work ethic and his contract I agree was the right move. But now they want to bring in one of the biggest cancers in the league? If I were a player I would have some serious trust issues. This trust the process motto is a bunch of garbage. I know that this may seem minor to most people, but this shows panic on Beane's part and it goes completely against what they've been trying to build the past 2-3 years. Stick to your guns and stay consistent with your plan.

12 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

With the whole trust the process and family schtick, I am really surprised we were this serious about bringing this guy in. People are giving credit to Beane about going for it and trying to add talent, but at what cost? This guy doesn't fit the culture that McBeane are building. They gutted the roster and got rid of guys like Dareus, which based off his work ethic and his contract I agree was the right move. But now they want to bring in one of the biggest cancers in the league? If I were a player I would have some serious trust issues. This trust the process motto is a bunch of garbage. I know that this may seem minor to most people, but this shows panic on Beane's part and it goes completely against what they've been trying to build the past 2-3 years. Stick to your guns and stay consistent with your plan.

Who knows just how serious we were though... There are so many conflicting reports on the matter for all we know we weren't even close to a deal and it was just Beane doing his due diligence. And even if not I'm sure Brandon looked at pros and cons. No move is perfect but if he is as good as AB is then it may be worth the risk even if he is a diva.

I can't believe how much success has gone to his head tho. He was a 6th round pick and went to Central Michigan for crying out loud. You'd think someone who came from that would remain humble and know that hardwork and determination got him to where he is. But he turned into a giant dbag 

14 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Who knows just how serious we were though... There are so many conflicting reports on the matter for all we know we weren't even close to a deal and it was just Beane doing his due diligence. And even if not I'm sure Brandon looked at pros and cons. No move is perfect but if he is as good as AB is then it may be worth the risk even if he is a diva.

I can't believe how much success has gone to his head tho. He was a 6th round pick and went to Central Michigan for crying out loud. You'd think someone who came from that would remain humble and know that hardwork and determination got him to where he is. But he turned into a giant dbag 

I am not sure how much due diligence needed to be done on this guy. If McBeane are trying to build a strong culture then the this should have been a hard pass. I am worried that they panicked and went against their beliefs. I don't think that's a good sign. Like I said, I could be reading too much into this, but I think this is a valid concern. Most people knew this wasn't going to be an overnight fix by McBeane and knew it was likely going to take 3-4 years to build a winning culture and a strong roster. I think they need to stick to what they've been doing. Teams that make big splashes and bring in high profile players tend to fail more often than not. Bringing Brown in isn't sticking to the process in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You don’t win based only off of high character guys, at least not often. You have to take risks and trust your culture to handle said risk accordingly every once in a while. Having only choir boys rarely if ever wins in this league. 

My thoughts as well, but in this instance our leadership other than Zo is so young.

But I feel the whole character thing is getting blown out of proportion a bit

7 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I am not sure how much due diligence needed to be done on this guy. If McBeane are trying to build a strong culture then the this should have been a hard pass. I am worried that they panicked and went against their beliefs. I don't think that's a good sign. Like I said, I could be reading too much into this, but I think this is a valid concern. Most people knew this wasn't going to be an overnight fix by McBeane and knew it was likely going to take 3-4 years to build a winning culture and a strong roster. I think they need to stick to what they've been doing. Teams that make big splashes and bring in high profile players tend to fail more often than not. Bringing Brown in isn't sticking to the process in my opinion.

That's the thing tho. Us fans seem to think that McDermott and Beane always have to bring in high character guys. When in fact they have not. They have shown they will bring in trouble of they have talent. But I believe they are going for the Patriots model. If you have a strong and stable locker room (which I say we have) then you can afford to bring in troubled players as they have to acclimate to the culture around them. And let's not pretend that Brown is always getting in trouble with the law... He is just conceited.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You don’t win based only off of high character guys, at least not often. You have to take risks and trust your culture to handle said risk accordingly every once in a while. Having only choir boys rarely if ever wins in this league. 

Brown is a different case though. I know not every guy in an NFL locker room is going to be a choirboy, but Brown is on another level. The guy is holding the Steelers hostage. He said teams need to play by his rules. That is some next level selfishness. I don’t mind taking chances on guys that are rough around the edges, but Brown is a different breed. I think people are falling in love with the name. This is a square peg fitting into a round hole. An aging WR asking for a record breaking deal and going from a team that consistently contended to a team that has been poorly ran for two decades. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

4 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Brown is a different case though. I know not every guy in an NFL locker room is going to be a choirboy, but Brown is on another level. The guy is holding the Steelers hostage. He said teams need to play by his rules. That is some next level selfishness. I don’t mind taking chances on guys that are rough around the edges, but Brown is a different breed. I think people are falling in love with the name. This is a square peg fitting into a round hole. An aging WR asking for a record breaking deal and going from a team that consistently contended to a team that has been poorly ran for two decades. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

It doesnt matter at this point the bills were looking to bring in talent and he may have some issues but the brass may feel that his talent trumped the off field issues including locker room. From my understanding is they went at him offered a swap of 1st round picks that was accepted and they tried to talk to the agent when they saw his asking price on a contract they bailed. It was worth a shot and high character guys arent always the case when you have a cohesive locker room they can handle such things and they probably thought he could be handled. We as fans only know what the media says and we should all know 99% of what is coming out from them is complete and utter crap. So who knows if AB would have been a cancer or not the bills have moved on. Shady has had off field issues, Jordan Phillips was cut by the dolphins because he was arguing with coaches on the sideline about playing time. So its not that they are afraid to keep or bring in guys with some issues.

I saw that the Bills were said to be going after Clowney and Clarke both top tier pass rushers but to me neither really make sense and it is likely an agent or the team owning the players saying this to drum up interest. It would be awesome to land one of those guys but that means it would also include a 1st rd pick and a ton of money when this draft is some what deep at that position. If they are interested in one of these guys and are interested in a player in the 20s and didnt want to trade back for picks instead of get a top tier tagged player then the move of swapping picks makes sense which would a great thing as bills wouldnt lose assets but again I dont think any of this is the case  and bills are being used based on the AB thing as Bills side have been quiet with everything they have done since McDermott has been here. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It doesnt matter at this point the bills were looking to bring in talent and he may have some issues but the brass may feel that his talent trumped the off field issues including locker room. From my understanding is they went at him offered a swap of 1st round picks that was accepted and they tried to talk to the agent when they saw his asking price on a contract they bailed. It was worth a shot and high character guys arent always the case when you have a cohesive locker room they can handle such things and they probably thought he could be handled. We as fans only know what the media says and we should all know 99% of what is coming out from them is complete and utter crap. So who knows if AB would have been a cancer or not the bills have moved on. Shady has had off field issues, Jordan Phillips was cut by the dolphins because he was arguing with coaches on the sideline about playing time. So its not that they are afraid to keep or bring in guys with some issues.

I saw that the Bills were said to be going after Clowney and Clarke both top tier pass rushers but to me neither really make sense and it is likely an agent or the team owning the players saying this to drum up interest. It would be awesome to land one of those guys but that means it would also include a 1st rd pick and a ton of money when this draft is some what deep at that position. If they are interested in one of these guys and are interested in a player in the 20s and didnt want to trade back for picks instead of get a top tier tagged player then the move of swapping picks makes sense which would a great thing as bills wouldnt lose assets but again I dont think any of this is the case  and bills are being used based on the AB thing as Bills side have been quiet with everything they have done since McDermott has been here. 

You mention that 99% of what is being reported by the media is crap to devalue my opinion, but you bring up a reported swap of first round picks as a point in your argument. And then you bring up Shady and Jordan Phillips as comparisons. Shady is a better teammate than Brown has and ever will be and it’s not even close. Shady had off the field issues, but it hasn’t affected his relationship with his teammates. Jordan Phillips was a guy we signed for nothing and was a cheap flier on a depth DT, the investment to add him was miniscule compared to the cost to add AB. Comparing these two to AB isn’t comparing apples to apples. I am not saying that every player needs to be a choirboy. Off the field mistakes happen. Zay Jones had an incident last year and has seemed to put this behind him. People keep saying that Beane was trying to bring in talent, but bringing in talent that doesn’t mesh with our culture isn’t wise in my opinion. Off the field issues are different than a guy who puts himself ahead of the team. Shady has had off the field issues, but has never exalted himself over his TEAM.

Archived