A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

2 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

You mention that 99% of what is being reported by the media is crap to devalue my opinion, but you bring up a reported swap of first round picks as a point in your argument. And then you bring up Shady and Jordan Phillips as comparisons. Shady is a better teammate than Brown has and ever will be and it’s not even close. Shady had off the field issues, but it hasn’t affected his relationship with his teammates. Jordan Phillips was a guy we signed for nothing and was a cheap flier on a depth DT, the investment to add him was miniscule compared to the cost to add AB. Comparing these two to AB isn’t comparing apples to apples. I am not saying that every player needs to be a choirboy. Off the field mistakes happen. Zay Jones had an incident last year and has seemed to put this behind him. People keep saying that Beane was trying to bring in talent, but bringing in talent that doesn’t mesh with our culture isn’t wise in my opinion. Off the field issues are different than a guy who puts himself ahead of the team. Shady has had off the field issues, but has never exalted himself over his TEAM.

Im not comparing anything to anyone im simply saying the bills arent picking up and maintaining high character guys they will do whatever they can to get this team better if AB was worth the move then they felt that would better the team it is what it is the bills took a leap of faith on the move and couldnt get the deal done because of contract disputes. Lets just move on from the debate of AB because the bills lost interest.

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It doesnt matter at this point the bills were looking to bring in talent and he may have some issues but the brass may feel that his talent trumped the off field issues including locker room. From my understanding is they went at him offered a swap of 1st round picks that was accepted and they tried to talk to the agent when they saw his asking price on a contract they bailed. It was worth a shot and high character guys arent always the case when you have a cohesive locker room they can handle such things and they probably thought he could be handled. We as fans only know what the media says and we should all know 99% of what is coming out from them is complete and utter crap. So who knows if AB would have been a cancer or not the bills have moved on. Shady has had off field issues, Jordan Phillips was cut by the dolphins because he was arguing with coaches on the sideline about playing time. So its not that they are afraid to keep or bring in guys with some issues.

I saw that the Bills were said to be going after Clowney and Clarke both top tier pass rushers but to me neither really make sense and it is likely an agent or the team owning the players saying this to drum up interest. It would be awesome to land one of those guys but that means it would also include a 1st rd pick and a ton of money when this draft is some what deep at that position. If they are interested in one of these guys and are interested in a player in the 20s and didnt want to trade back for picks instead of get a top tier tagged player then the move of swapping picks makes sense which would a great thing as bills wouldnt lose assets but again I dont think any of this is the case  and bills are being used based on the AB thing as Bills side have been quiet with everything they have done since McDermott has been here. 

5 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

You mention that 99% of what is being reported by the media is crap to devalue my opinion, but you bring up a reported swap of first round picks as a point in your argument. And then you bring up Shady and Jordan Phillips as comparisons. Shady is a better teammate than Brown has and ever will be and it’s not even close. Shady had off the field issues, but it hasn’t affected his relationship with his teammates. Jordan Phillips was a guy we signed for nothing and was a cheap flier on a depth DT, the investment to add him was miniscule compared to the cost to add AB. Comparing these two to AB isn’t comparing apples to apples. I am not saying that every player needs to be a choirboy. Off the field mistakes happen. Zay Jones had an incident last year and has seemed to put this behind him. People keep saying that Beane was trying to bring in talent, but bringing in talent that doesn’t mesh with our culture isn’t wise in my opinion. Off the field issues are different than a guy who puts himself ahead of the team. Shady has had off the field issues, but has never exalted himself over his TEAM.

Who knows if AB would have been a cancer?!? The dude flat out said play by my rules or I'm taking the ball and going home. There's no speculation here, he's made it very clear that he comes first, not the team. Due to the shear numbers of players on the field, football is the ultimate team sport. Cooperation is key to success. AB is insanely talented, but he does not value cooperation and the brotherhood of the team as much as looking after #1. Period. 

And comparing AB to Shady  and to some extent Phillips is like comparing apples to oranges. Shady's issues had absolutely nothing to do with the locker room. He was a huge supporter of Josh...and let's not pretend that Josh didn't come with some doubt. As for Phillips, he wanted more playing time. That was a guy begging to contribute to the team more than he was being allowed to. Though that carried an element of disrespect to the coaching staff, that's not the same as throwing teammates and coaches under the bus, which AB has done.

Our FO reached out and investigated the possibility of bringing in AB. My guess is, they tossed out the idea of letting Brown continue on the remaining portion of that contract just in case/as a low-ball offer, maybe hoping that AB thought he had no options anymore in the Steelers organization and weak interest elsewhere, and thinking the locker room issues would only be a temporary headache at worst. There's no denying he can help teams move the chains and we certainly need to jumpstart our offense, so I get why they considered him, but I bet the idea of signing him to an extended contract and having to put up with his BS, which would likely get even worse as his skills declined (see Brett Favre), made it easy to walk away from the idea of trading for him. Frankly, as talented as Brown is, I think we dodged a camaraderie-killing bullet.

1 hour ago, Yibbyl said:

Who knows if AB would have been a cancer?!? The dude flat out said play by my rules or I'm taking the ball and going home. There's no speculation here, he's made it very clear that he comes first, not the team. Due to the shear numbers of players on the field, football is the ultimate team sport. Cooperation is key to success. AB is insanely talented, but he does not value cooperation and the brotherhood of the team as much as looking after #1. Period. 

And comparing AB to Shady  and to some extent Phillips is like comparing apples to oranges. Shady's issues had absolutely nothing to do with the locker room. He was a huge supporter of Josh...and let's not pretend that Josh didn't come with some doubt. As for Phillips, he wanted more playing time. That was a guy begging to contribute to the team more than he was being allowed to. Though that carried an element of disrespect to the coaching staff, that's not the same as throwing teammates and coaches under the bus, which AB has done.

Our FO reached out and investigated the possibility of bringing in AB. My guess is, they tossed out the idea of letting Brown continue on the remaining portion of that contract just in case/as a low-ball offer, maybe hoping that AB thought he had no options anymore in the Steelers organization and weak interest elsewhere, and thinking the locker room issues would only be a temporary headache at worst. There's no denying he can help teams move the chains and we certainly need to jumpstart our offense, so I get why they considered him, but I bet the idea of signing him to an extended contract and having to put up with his BS, which would likely get even worse as his skills declined (see Brett Favre), made it easy to walk away from the idea of trading for him. Frankly, as talented as Brown is, I think we dodged a camaraderie-killing bullet.

Agree with this 100%. Another weird thing about this that I read on Twitter was Antonio Brown slept with Jordan Poyer's fiancee. If true, that could have added another layer to this. Not sure how some of Poyer's close teammates and Poyer himself would have reacted to Brown joining the team.

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Beane said it didn't make sense for either side, but seen a report that Brown shot the deal down

Actually, that comment was in regards to not going after Frank Clark. There's stuff online about Beane not being interested, but no mention as to why. I'm just curious.

12 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Actually, that comment was in regards to not going after Frank Clark. There's stuff online about Beane not being interested, but no mention as to why. I'm just curious.

Asking price would be far greater then AB not to mention he wants to be top paid rusher in the league. So the bills would have to give up at minimum 9th overall possibly next years 1st and $120+ mil for him. 

7 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

AB to Raiders for a 3rd & 5th plus gets a pay raise. 3 years $54m with incentives ($30m guaranteed). I'm surprised we weren't willing to pay that given the fact that he's the best WR.

30 million in guarantees plus the 24 mil would be desperation on the bills part. Look AB has the numbers to be a top WR, his off field issues are and were a concern but you cant pay that much to a guy who may or may not cost to Retirement now. This to me just shows that he wanted 1 more pay day before retirement and he got. Raiders have Derek Carr and who else on that team offensively or defensively to be a contender and lets be real Carr isnt even a top 15 Qb so this was a money driven move and I am so glad the bills didnt pay that because that would show its the same old bills make one flashy splash and not actually build a contender. 

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Asking price would be far greater then AB not to mention he wants to be top paid rusher in the league. So the bills would have to give up at minimum 9th overall possibly next years 1st and $120+ mil for him. 

Ooooooh! Yeah, that makes no financial sense. I know we have money we need to spend, but that along with the lost 1st rounders = hell no!

Archived