Streams of the Week (Early Week 9 picks up!)

Dr LBC

So, people have probably heard me talk up how one of the strategies I tend to use in Fantasy to a fair amount of success is to stream one of either QB, TE, or DEF from week to week, thereby being able to spend the premium draft capital I might have otherwise spent on the position (ok, not defense) on having better quality depth at the skill positions.

I'll update this weekly with my recommended streams for each week (and guys to keep tabs on for the following week - this becomes essential once byes kick in if your in a league where the majority of the teams are only rostering 1 player at that particular position) - so that if you have the luxury of locking up the next week's streamer, you're able to do it.

First let me set a couple parameters.  I'm going to be dealing only with players owned 50% or less (I'm going to try to hold myself to 35% or less, but I know things change for some folks' leagues) on the major fantasy platforms (Yahoo, ESPN, CBS), if you see someone available out there that is higher-percentage owned and like the matchup they have, go for it or feel free to ask here about them; I'm happy to give my take.  When identifying these streamers, I tend to lean on favorable matchups (i.e. matching up against a bad defense, matching up against a team with a dominant offense wherein sheer volume of throws is likely to create stats, and putting preference on the player playing at home - which always tends to favor offensive production).

-------------------------------------------------------

Week 2 (below)

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8 (skipped)

Week 9

------------------------------------------------------

Week 2:

QB: Case Keenum (vs. Oakland) - 26% owned in Yahoo, 13% owned in ESPN

- I'm actually streaming him this week as my Wentz insurance.  Look, to call the Raiders' pass-rush underwhelming is probably an understatement; they'll probably get better as the season goes on, but right now, going on the road on a short week, I'm not counting on much change from what we saw last night to what we'll see on Sunday.  Meanwhile, Keenum threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's on Sunday.  Yes, you're going to have to worry about INT's, but when I guy can toss 3 in a game and still put up 18+ points, I'm not really sweating the turnovers.  Playing at home, with receiving options that have shown that while older they're still effective (along with a Danny Woodhead like receiving back in Phillip Lindsay), against a team that has struggled to pressure the QB - I'll take that all day.

Other options: Tyrod Taylor @ NO (Tyrod is always a sneaky high-floor streamer because he's going to get you rushing yards, and normally he'd be my go-to streamer, but I don't believe the Saints defense is as bad as they played in Tampa and they'll be playing in their home opener with an offense of their own that WILL show out), Joe Flacco @ CIN (Flacco could actually be this season's Alex Smith; that said, while I wouldn't mind streaming him, I shy away because of on the road team in a Thursday matchup)

TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (vs NE) - 34% owned in Yahoo, 23% owned in ESPN

- I'll preface by saying that I purposely held off recommending Jared Cook here because he's going to be a hot waiver wire pickup this week with all the TE injuries that happened over the weekend (Walker, Olsen).  If you are able to get hold of him, he's a worthwhile start against a Denver defense that still looks like they haven't figured out how to defend the TE and as Cook appears to be a favorite of Derek Carr - though I will mention that 1) Denver's going to bring the heat more from the edge versus up the middle compared to the Rams so Cook could be kept in to block more often and Cook has a nasty history of being a Week 1 Wonder and fading.  So on to ASJ.  Dude should have converted one of those two TD opportunities against the Giants, and with Fournette, at minimum hobbled (hamstrings are typically 2-4 week injuries, even minor tweaks), that's one less red-zone option for the Jags.

Other options: Eric Ebron  @ WAS (I don't like the road matchup and I really don't like the Colts line against that Washington front, but Ebron is clearly the preferred red-zone guy for Luck over Jack Doyle - and Doyle's fumble isn't going to endear him to the new coaching staff; and with their defense, the Colts are going to be throwing all season long).  Ricky Seals-Jones @ LAR (Hanging your hat on Sam Bradford after how he performed on Sunday seems like a recipe for disaster, but he's still a TE-happy QB and the Rams defense did just give up 100-yard game to a TE... and Fitz tends to have lesser fantasy stats on the road, so usually there's someone that has to pick up the slack).

DEF: Washington (vs IND) - 3% owned in Yahoo, 10% owned in ESPN

- This is sort of a coin-flip situation for me between this matchup and the Niners' defense against the Lions (who I expect to rebound, but the Niners' run defense is underrated) that I gave the nod to the Skins because they're playing at home.  I expect them to give up points, but I also expect them to create turnovers and harass Luck all day long.  That gives you a solid floor with a better-than-most chance for a turnover that leads to a defensive TD, which is typically the universal salve to a quality week from a fantasy defense.

Other options: As mentioned San Francisco @ DET (is a streamable option.  I expect Stafford to rebound, but the Niners have the ability to make the Lions one dimensional on offense, and while they San Fran DB's can definitely be passed against, that Detroit OL still looks shaky and Stafford looks hobbled).  New York Giants @ DAL (I like the Giants offensive players better this weekend, but... Dak looks miserable and the Cowboys wideouts on the perimeters just aren't able to get separation; I don't expect that to change against Janoris Jenkins and Co.  Zeke is going to eat - and so should SaQuads - but that's just the thing, I don't see the Cowboys scoring a ton of points unless Eli gifts them defensive scores and those aren't going to count against the Giants' D in fantasy.  It's a safe-floor play.)  Chicago vs SEA (Left off as the pick similarly to Cook because they're a hot waiver wire pickup this week and already at 40+% owned in ESPN and 50% in Yahoo.  Seattle gave up 6 sacks to the Broncos and Khalil Mack has hit the ground running for Chicago; that's a recipe for disaster for Russ)

52 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Thanks for this! Would you choose the Skins defense for Cinci this week?

The Bengals are @ home vs the Ravens on Thursday night. 

I'm choosing between those 2 or the Falcons. 

I'd probably roll with the Skins.  None are ideal, but I don't want to touch the Falcons until I see how they look after all these injuries (they're now going to be starting backups at SS, MLB, and WLB - that's concerning for their ability to defend passes into the flat which is something we've seen in recent years them struggle with - particularly defending pass-catching RB's.  I normally don't mind starting Thursday night home defenses (short week typically translates to at least a solid floor of lower-scoring affairs) but were it not for the fumble recovery for a TD last week Cincy's defense was nothing special (23 points given up and only 2 sacks against a potent offense, but one with a turnover-prone QB and a lackluster OL).

Thing to be aware of with Washington is unless something further happens to Rodgers, you're likely wanting to dump them the following week for someone else.  So if you're looking for a team you can take on a 2-3 week stretch, that's probably the Jets defense if they're available.  They're clearly not going to be able to replicate what they did the Lions on a weekly basis, but they're at home against Miami this week, then go to Cleveland on a short week for a Thursday night game, then go to Jacksonville.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'd probably roll with the Skins.  None are ideal, but I don't want to touch the Falcons until I see how they look after all these injuries (they're now going to be starting backups at SS, MLB, and WLB - that's concerning for their ability to defend passes into the flat which is something we've seen in recent years them struggle with - particularly defending pass-catching RB's.  I normally don't mind starting Thursday night home defenses (short week typically translates to at least a solid floor of lower-scoring affairs) but were it not for the fumble recovery for a TD last week Cincy's defense was nothing special (23 points given up and only 2 sacks against a potent offense, but one with a turnover-prone QB and a lackluster OL).

Thing to be aware of with Washington is unless something further happens to Rodgers, you're likely wanting to dump them the following week for someone else.  So if you're looking for a team you can take on a 2-3 week stretch, that's probably the Jets defense if they're available.  They're clearly not going to be able to replicate what they did the Lions on a weekly basis, but they're at home against Miami this week, then go to Cleveland on a short week for a Thursday night game, then go to Jacksonville.

Yeah I like to look ahead when I'm picking a defense...Don't normally do this, but I really liked the thought of caring 2 Defenses and just playing the match ups. was eyeing the Jets and Patriots....both got claimed.

Would add Ben Watson to list of solid streamers this week against the Browns. Cleveland has been very bad against tight ends (last week not withstanding given the weather) and I'm pretty sure were by far the worst last year at covering tight ends.  In two starts against the Browns last week, Watson had 12 / 165 / 1. 

Week 3

QB: Blake Bortles (vs TEN) - 28% owned in Yahoo!, 10% owned in ESPN

- Yeah, I'm gonna go there.  Bortles - and this dates back honestly for a while - is a pretty damn solid Fantasy QB.  When Wentz went down last season, I rode him almost all the way to a fantasy championship in a standard league.  Now you've got him in a position where he has better pass-protection (yes, Cam Robinson tearing his ACL is a cause for pause, but I don't think it's really anything that can't be schemed around for the most part) than last season, dynamic weapons in both Cole and Westbrook who are YAC monsters, and he's still being protected by scheme via Marone and his OC.  He's averaging a 275/2/1 this season (and mind you that's with several overturned TD's that could have been).  Now I won't fault someone for biting on the allure that is Fitzmagic against a torchable Pittsburgh D this weekend, but where I'm giving Bortles a leg up is because of potential longevity.  Byes start in Week 4, which means that Cam and Alex Smith owners are going to be in the market for a streamer, as well.  Now, if Tampa is wise they'll stick with the hot hand at QB if Fitz continues his current path - but there's still an inherent risk that they give Jameis his job back right in the middle of bye season.  Meanwhile this is Bortles schedule over the next month-plus: vs TEN, vs NYJ, @ KC, @ DAL, vs HOU, vs PHI; you could be looking at a streamer picked up this week that gives you a viable Top 10-12 QB for at least the next 4 weeks.  Tampa also has a Week 5 bye, so you'd be looking for a filler there anyway.

Other options: As stated, if you can lay hands on Ryan Fitzpatrick (vs PIT), he's a great start against a Pittsburgh defense that's among the league leaders in surrendering deep TD's which is the Fitzmagic Special.  Ryan Tannehill (vs OAK) is also very startable against a beatable Raiders defense that - probably most importantly - doesn't look like they make much if any second-half adjustments.  So, in other words, even if the Phins find themselves playing from behind, Tannehill is capable of salvaging a lackluster first half on the back of Kenny Stills (who narrowly kept Tannehill from breaking 20 points in all formats last week against a Jets defense that, flatly, better than what the Raiders field).

TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (vs TEN) - 32% owned in Yahoo!, 30% owned in ESPN

- I'm stacking here, largely off of opportunity.  He had a TD overturned in Week 1, he caught one in Week 2, and if Moncrief if hobbled at all, the Jags are running out of red-zone weapons; plus we all remember last season when Bortles made over-the-hill Marcedes Lewis a mid-season fantasy wonder.  I don't particularly love the match-up (no TE has particularly shredded the Titans this season), but I love the opportunity to pull down another score, which is ultimately what you're hoping for when streaming TE's week-to-week.  He's on the field for a vast majority of snaps (and likely even more in terms of between the 20's while the team adjusts to life without Cam Robinson) and he's clearly someone Bortles looks to in the red zone.

Other options: Plenty of dart-throws in hopes of a TD this weekend to pick from.  OJ Howard (vs PIT) emerged last week for a long bomb from Fitz for a score, and Pittsburgh is coming off giving up multiple TD's to Travis Kelce.  Eric Ebron (@ PHI) has averaged a TD per week and is a clear red-zone target of Luck's; I fade him a bit because of his lower snap percentage (sub-25%).  Will Dissly (vs DAL) is probably more of a garbage-time candidate, but then the Hawks are also playing against Dallas who have Sean Lee banged up right now and have moved Byron Jones successfully to boundary corner (which means he'll man-up on either Lockett or Marshall, curbing that option for Russ).  If Jesse James (@ TB) is still out there, he's a solid pickup as well, coming off a huge game and facing a Tampa defense that just saw Zach Ertz go 11/13 for 94 yards against them.

D/ST: Cleveland (vs NYJ) - 9% owned in Yahoo!, 5.5% owned in ESPN

- LBC what the hell are you doing recommending the Browns on a Thursday night game?  Now... hear me out.  Traditionally, Thursday night games have favored the home team and I don't know if you've noticed but the Browns are quietly sitting as the #6 D/ST in both ESPN and Yahoo! with averaging 3.5 sacks and 4 TO's per game... and that's against the Steelers' and Saints' offenses.  Now I know someone is going to want to point out that the Jets' defense is the #1 fantasy defense right now, but consider context: They played the Dolphins and the Lions, and they're only #1 because of a defensive TD and a return TD (which aren't something you bank on this early in the season as being predictable or high-probability from a team) - without those they'd be 6th.

Other options: Dallas (@ SEA) is on the road, but they're coming off a 6-sack game against a QB who couldn't wait to get rid of the ball to his check-down option and they're facing an equally-bad OL and a QB who is more willing to hold onto the ball (perhaps even for too long).  The sacks potential at least presents a viable floor.  Green Bay (@Washington) is intriguing, but not without clear reason for pause.  It's the long-passing game that has tended to gut the Packers from what I've seen this season - and that's definitely NOT Alex Smith's game.  If the Packers can limit Jordan Reed the way the Colts were able to, they have the ability to put up a similar (8-10 pt) scoreline in fantasy.  Added bonus, the Packers host the Bills in Week 4 and are an early favorite for my stream of that week, so there's some inherent risk, but you could get a solid 2+ weeks of play out of them.

@The LBC

I actually had the same thought about the Browns defense. My typical defense is the Rams, but I don't love them this week against the Chargers. Sure, Rivers has the ability to implode with 4 picks or something, but he usually saves that for the Chiefs. 

So I'm leaning toward a streaming defense this week, and was deciding between the Browns or Jets. Do you favor the Browns in that scenario? I'm guessing so since they are on your stream of the week, just wanted to check though. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

@The LBC

I actually had the same thought about the Browns defense. My typical defense is the Rams, but I don't love them this week against the Chargers. Sure, Rivers has the ability to implode with 4 picks or something, but he usually saves that for the Chiefs. 

So I'm leaning toward a streaming defense this week, and was deciding between the Browns or Jets. Do you favor the Browns in that scenario? I'm guessing so since they are on your stream of the week, just wanted to check though. 

Yeah, I pretty much covered my feelings on the two in the section on the Browns stream.  You have to look at how they're supporting their fantasy rankings right now.  Cleveland is the 6th-ranked defense without having posted a single defensive TD - that's impressive especially when you consider the offenses they did this against put up 27 pts, surrendered 2 sacks (below Cleveland's average), and 1 TO (below Cleveland's average) and 35 pts, surrendered 1 sack, and 0 TO in their other weeks, with regard to Detroit and Pittsburgh, respectively.  The Jets' D is good, but their fantasy performance is largely propped up by a pick-6 and a return TD.  Now, we saw last week that Tyrod is certainly capable of throwing a pick-6, but the Browns' baseline from sacks (Myles Garrett is beasting) and turnovers generated (and mind you, they're playing a rookie QB who already threw 1 pick-6 this season), plus playing at home, makes them the superior option.

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

How much FAAB would you spend on the Browns defense? Right now I'm at $5. 

Out of a $200 budget?  $5 is probably pretty reasonable (I normally don't spend a ton on streaming defenses until playoff-clinching or playoff time), since I think you can get multiple starts out of the Browns' D (I don't like spending more than $2 on a streaming defense unless I've got a really bad match-up or string of match-ups with whatever my current defense is... or unless I can project getting multiple consecutive starts out of whoever I'm picking up).  But the Browns go to Oakland next on a longer week and then will probably be startable at home the following week against the Ravens (if the Bengals were able to do what they were to the Ravens at home - 23 points, 4 sacks, 3 turnovers).

Ugh, lost out on both the Jets and the Browns for defenses this week. So I even have to ride out with the Rams in a less than ideal matchup with the chargers, or I go the pure gamble route. The cardinals defense hasn't been awful, as they have 5 sacks and create the third most pressure in the league, have a solid matchup against the Bears, but that offense is so bad it hurts the defense and it's not going to be better against that Bears defense. Don't think that I can trust them. I have both options available from the Oakland and Miami game and Miami has had a nice start to the season defensively, but in week one that was helped out a bit by a defensive touchdown. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Ugh, lost out on both the Jets and the Browns for defenses this week. So I even have to ride out with the Rams in a less than ideal matchup with the chargers, or I go the pure gamble route. The cardinals defense hasn't been awful, as they have 5 sacks and create the third most pressure in the league, have a solid matchup against the Bears, but that offense is so bad it hurts the defense and it's not going to be better against that Bears defense. Don't think that I can trust them. I have both options available from the Oakland and Miami game and Miami has had a nice start to the season defensively, but in week one that was helped out a bit by a defensive touchdown. 

I don't think you're in that bad of a situation with the Rams.  Sean McVay and Wade Phillips make 2nd-half adjustments... Anthony Lynn/Ken Whisenhunt/Gus Bradley don't - at least not well.  Also, Mike Pouncey is the only Chargers interior OL I have any faith in (Lamp still hasn't played a regular season snap) to be able to handle Donald and Suh remotely and if Rivers can step up in the pocket he ends up with a lot of batted passes.

Now, I'm not expecting the Rams' 6 quarter shutout streak to continue, but I really won't be surprised if this game is a tale of two halves and if the Rams get a defensive score in this game.  And Marcus Peters owns Philip Rivers (5 pass deflections and 3 INT's last season) - to the point where Rivers might be daddy to 8 kids (and apparently they're still planning for more!?!), but Peters is his daddy.

Archived