Just rewatched the Browns Game - Domepatrol's takeaways

Dome

Watched the game for a second time cause I couldn't sleep.

QB - Grayson needs to come back strong next week. Several of his incompletions where due to busted protections and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt cause it seemed like it happened to him more so than Nassib, but that's the way it happens sometimes. He needs to be more accurate and have better pocket presence. Nassib is clearly the better passer, but Grayson seemed to have better command of the offense. Nassib is a playmaker.

RB - Kamara comes stronger than advertised. He's quick and shifty but he looked STRONG in that collision with Tank Carder.

WR - Tommylee Lewis is the real deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he's running with the ones this week. I see no reason he can't take the job we thought Ginn was taking. I'm really excited about this guy.

OL - Our first team oline looked really solid even without Unger or Armstead. Weak link was obviously at LT. Hopefully Ramczyk can pick things up quickly.

DL - Muhammad looks like a steal. He was quick off the snap and had a relentless motor. He should be great depth. Kikaha came out strong but seemed winded early. Maybe too much strength not enough conditioning? Mabry got a strong push more than once but was stifled when he was double teamed a couple times late game.

LB - Anzalone and Klein will be our starting LBers. I think Robertson and Anthony will have defined roles and Teo will provide depth. Not sure available about Stupar or Mauti. I think drafting Williams and Bell in back to back years gives them flexibility with Vacarro moving into a more hybrid role.

CB - Sterling Moore seems to have regressed and Ken Crawley looks improved. Assuming Breaux isn't traded so those three should round out our CBs with PJ and Lattimore starting. Vaccaro looked more confident in coverage, he's due for a big year. Raphael Bush was a welcomed sight, he'll be great depth.

ST - Lutz and Moorstead should both be real solid this year. Hopefull the rest of STs hold up.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

My immediate thoughts after rewatching it... Sean Payton is clearly still the head coach of this franchise. 

Well, that much is given.

What in particular stood out as Sean Payton indicators?

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Well, that much is given.

What in particular stood out as Sean Payton indicators?

I was actually surprised at how our defense played as a unit, but I only watched the first half.  And it's the Browns.  Led by Brock Osweiller.

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I was actually surprised at how our defense played as a unit, but I only watched the first half.  And it's the Browns.  Led by Brock Osweiller.

This. We looked average, which is a nice change. But we have to keep everything in perspective lol

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

This. We looked average, which is a nice change. But we have to keep everything in perspective lol

Its hard for me to honestly grade this team because my trust level is so low right now with this coaching staff. Sure the secondary looked ok but lets be honest here, Osweiller was horrid and missed a bunch of wide open dudes. Then kiezer comes in and lights them up. The same widley inconsistent Kiezer from Notre Dame last season.

The one thing that stood out to me was the Saints run defense aganist a high dollar Browns offensive line but i temper that with Joe Thomas being out.

Our linebackers looked improved and Klein, Anzalone and Te'o looked like a solid starting unit.

The fact that Ramczyk was held out confuses me... He practiced all week then rerurned to practice right after the game, it was almost like they just gave him the day off??? 

Kamara looks really good... Im not as impressed with Tommy Lee Lewis as most are.

Ted Ginn is well... Still Ted Ginn. Fleener is terrible. Chase Daniels gives us a soild backup but the future of this franchise is playing elsewhere at the moment. 

Kick coverage units still need alot of work.

45 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Its hard for me to honestly grade this team because my trust level is so low right now with this coaching staff. Sure the secondary looked ok but lets be honest here, Osweiller was horrid and missed a bunch of wide open dudes.

Agreed. But my optimism comes from believing we will be a bottom 5 defense once again and seeing guys who actually look better in coverage, for once.

I'm not necessarily just talking about passes thrown and how they were defending either. Vacarro locked down a couple routes last night on a pass that wasn't thrown in his direction, he's a guy that has notoriously struggled in coverage. Guys all over the field just didn't seem so lost in coverage. My expectations are so low, that guys not getting LOST on the football field is a positive. 

54 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

The one thing that stood out to me was the Saints run defense aganist a high dollar Browns offensive line but i temper that with Joe Thomas being out.

Sure, but we won't be facing a Joe Thomas every week. 

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

The fact that Ramczyk was held out confuses me... He practiced all week then rerurned to practice right after the game, it was almost like they just gave him the day off??? 

He practiced all week? I think he was out of practice all week, his first day back was Monday. That's when (and probably why) Payton suddenly decided that he can't wait for Breaux to heal up. Cause Lattimore, Unger and Ramczyk are all ready to practice and Breaux isn't.

Kamara looks really good... Im not as impressed with Tommy Lee Lewis as most are.

I'm not 100% solid on Lewis, but I'll be mad if they don't give him a chance to compete with Ginn for that starting role..

Yeah Kamara is Pierre Thomas 2.0. They tried to turn Ingram into that last year and nearly had it, but Kamara is better for that role. 

Ted Ginn is well... Still Ted Ginn. Fleener is terrible. Chase Daniels gives us a soild backup but the future of this franchise is playing elsewhere at the moment. 

Yes, yes and yes. I'm ready to cut Ginn. He's gonna kill me this season with a couple more dropped TDs, I can tell.

Kick coverage units still need alot of work.

Yep. They're keeping Daniel Lasco and Josh Hill in work though. Those guys are still our 2 best players on ST coverage IMO. 

On 8/16/2017 at 8:14 AM, domepatrol91 said:

Agreed. But my optimism comes from believing we will be a bottom 5 defense once again and seeing guys who actually look better in coverage, for once.

I'm not necessarily just talking about passes thrown and how they were defending either. Vacarro locked down a couple routes last night on a pass that wasn't thrown in his direction, he's a guy that has notoriously struggled in coverage. Guys all over the field just didn't seem so lost in coverage. My expectations are so low, that guys not getting LOST on the football field is a positive. 

Sure, but we won't be facing a Joe Thomas every week. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the defense. I smiled watching actual passes getting defended. They were even in position to get holding calls while still being in the play. 

Archived