GDT Week 2: OAK @ DEN

Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Our offensive woes have been hashed out, but I'm a little worried about the defense. Allowing 19 points is fine, but if we allow WR's to have 10 yards of space-, we're gonna get burned. Try giving that space to Tyreek Hill and see what happens.

It’s definitely concerning how we are getting beat.  It’s not 1-2 weaknesses getting exploited.  Not just Matshall & Todd Davis vs RB/TE.  But now it’s Roby and 3rd CB.   And our hybrid S/LB in nickel haven’t been much better than last year.   

Simmons and Harris are the only 2 guys I trust in coverage.   That has to improve vs. better teams.  

On 9/17/2018 at 5:50 PM, germ-x said:

The Rams also arguably have the most talented defense this league has seen in a decade +...hell the Rams entire roster might be the most talented roster this league has seen in that time frame.  

S.O.B. is a coaching legend and IMO deserves a HOF nod.  Joe Woods will never be Wade Phillips, but to try and compare Denver to the Rams doesn’t hold water.  Denver is talented defensively too, but that Rams defense is something you dream up in a lab, hell I could go out and coach that defense into a top 5 unit.  Donald/Suh inside is unfair.  Then throw Peters/Talib ball hawking at CB, my god...QBs/OCs are pooping themselves weeks before that matchup even happens. 

Mmm I'm not so sure it's unfair to compare the two. Yes, LA has a front three that DC's dream of. And their secondary is outstanding. But outside of Donald, they don't really have any dominant pass rushers. Yes, Suh is disruptive, but he doesn't get to qb's like Von Miller. Neither does Donald. Don't get me wrong, they are an extremely talented defense. But I still say that had we kept Talib and SOB, our defense would be very much in the same league as LA's this year. 

I would say recent Seahawks, Broncos and Jaguars defenses over the past 5 years were more talented and complete units than the Rams, who have one of the worst LB corps in the league. They'll obviously make quick work of bad offenses (as they've already done) but they will play a lot of great offenses this year who are capable of creating matchup problems for them. 

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I would say recent Seahawks, Broncos and Jaguars defenses over the past 5 years were more talented and complete units than the Rams, who have one of the worst LB corps in the league. They'll obviously make quick work of bad offenses (as they've already done) but they will play a lot of great offenses this year who are capable of creating matchup problems for them. 

Agreed. I don't think it's that close either. Meh edge rush for the Rams even though Donald is obviously incredible 

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

51 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Agreed. I don't think it's that close either. Meh edge rush for the Rams even though Donald is obviously incredible 

I do think the LAR D is good enough to win the SB - because that's a top 5 O on the other side.   I think it's a top 10 D for sure, but yeah nowhere near the DVOA legends that SEA & DEN were.   JAX did have 1-2 major weaknesses (run D early, Dareus helped plug that, but then safety play, which Gronk exposed, no coincidence Ramsey played Gronk this weekend).   SEA 2013 and DEN 2015 belong in the CHI 1985 and BAL 2001 elite-GOAT convo, JAX could get there, but not quite there yet.   And yeah, in that group, LAR pales in comparison.

People underestimate how truly awful ARI & BUF are this year.   Their OL's are woefully bad (ARI is just awful, while BUF lost 3 starters - one by trading away Cordy Glenn to get QBOTF - right idea, they just chose the wrong one IMO - but they weren't counting on losing C Erik Wood then losing G Incognito, cumulative effect crippling).   I mean, in fantasy I'm salivating owning the CHI DST even on a road game @ARI.  

I love what Snead has done this year, because last year the LAR D could be run on with impunity, and their pass coverage had big holes.  Now, they're still a team whose LB's can be exploited, and lack of edge rush will hurt them against good O's.  But they're also a team that fits what Wade likes to do - if he can make them elite, that's a feather in his cap, because the D has star power, but it's far from being legendary - @ARI and hosting OAK should be factored in before crowning them as the next great D (I do love the moves when you factor in how good their O is, though, make no mistake).

LAC @ LAR should be a great game - provided the Chargers don't pull their usual "underperform in big games" (Week 1 was a repeat, 2 dropped TD passes by Benjamin/T-Williams <how are either guy playing ahead of Mike Williams right now SMH>, a fumble inside their own 10 on punt return, and cardinal mistake of punting deep and getting contain on Tyreke Hill - 4-TD swing of awful plays from them there).

Archived