GDT Week 2: OAK @ DEN

Broncofan

I am interested to see what DL front we'd go with if the Raiders go with 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) in early downs. I would love to see us match it with the following:

LE: Miller
NT: Peko
DT: Harris
RE: Chubb

That gives us ample pass rush if they go pass, but also makes us stout against the run. I just think if we put Wolfe or Gotsis in (which would be our usual) against the Raiders power run game, we'd be a bit susceptible up the middle.

I think it's games like this where the drafting of Bradley Chubb will pay dividends. Shane Ray and (to a lesser extent) Shaquill Barrett leave us light upfront in our Nickel on early downs, whereas Chubb is an excellent run Defender and can collapse the pocket with strength (vital ability when rushing the passer on 1st down, as you can't just run the edge due to the fact it could be a run play).

Something to keep an eye on!

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am interested to see what DL front we'd go with if the Raiders go with 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) in early downs. I would love to see us match it with the following:

LE: Miller
NT: Peko
DT: Harris
RE: Chubb

That gives us ample pass rush if they go pass, but also makes us stout against the run. I just think if we put Wolfe or Gotsis in (which would be our usual) against the Raiders power run game, we'd be a bit susceptible up the middle.

I think it's games like this where the drafting of Bradley Chubb will pay dividends. Shane Ray and (to a lesser extent) Shaquill Barrett leave us light upfront in our Nickel on early downs, whereas Chubb is an excellent run Defender and can collapse the pocket with strength (vital ability when rushing the passer on 1st down, as you can't just run the edge due to the fact it could be a run play).

Something to keep an eye on!

Great call.  For the well-discussed weakness he has as a solo one-on-one pass rusher, Chubb's ability to stop the run (which gives him a very well-rounded skill set, even if it's not an elite EDGE ceiling pass-rush wise) should be exploited by Wood & co.   He's really a hybrid guy - could have easily played the 4-3 DE position on another team, but fits obv better as an EDGE in our 3-4.   And we have used 4-3 some last year, so it's a good response to the teams that run power formations.

The only reason we aren't playing Harris more (26 percent snap count week 1) IMO should be managing reps to keep him fresh.  Otherwise he’s a total inside disruptor.  For the whiffs Elway's had in developing DL through the draft with early picks the last few years (Sly Williams JAG, jury's out on Walker, too soon there, but Gotsis has not panned out to the Rd2 price spent, not even close), Harris was another bargain basement WW hidden gem.   I do hope we can extend him at reasonable rates.  I’d love to see us use him at 40-50 percent minimum snap count and see what he can do.  The one benefit to him being in a rotation is that any extension would hopefully be manageable - our cap needs affordable extensions.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Great call.  For the well-discussed weakness he has as a solo one-on-one pass rusher, Chubb's ability to stop the run (which gives him a very well-rounded skill set, even if it's not an elite EDGE ceiling pass-rush wise) should be exploited by Wood & co.   He's really a hybrid guy - could have easily played the 4-3 DE position on another team, but fits obv better as an EDGE in our 3-4.   And we have used 4-3 some last year, so it's a good response to the teams that run power formations.

The only reason we aren't playing Harris more (26 percent snap count week 1) IMO should be managing reps to keep him fresh.  Otherwise he’s a total inside disruptor.  For the whiffs Elway's had in developing DL through the draft with early picks the last few years (Sly Williams JAG, jury's out on Walker, too soon there, but Gotsis has not panned out to the Rd2 price spent, not even close), Harris was another bargain basement WW hidden gem.   I do hope we can extend him at reasonable rates.  I’d love to see us use him at 40-50 percent minimum snap count and see what he can do.  The one benefit to him being in a rotation is that any extension would hopefully be manageable - our cap needs affordable extensions.   

Harris was drafted and cut by the Raiders too. Hopefully gives him a bigger chip on his shoulder.

56 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Harris was drafted and cut by the Raiders too. Hopefully gives him a bigger chip on his shoulder.

lol.... the things some fans say. If Harris has a chip on his shoulder from 2 years ago when he was cut as an URFA, then I feel bad for him for need that motivation. 

King on the other hand can probably be baited into a 15 yard penalty this week. I look forward to that

Overall, we really don't know the Raiders identity right now. I would anticipate them working to create mismatches against Denver's LBs and Gruden is going to commit to the power run. 

They are improved on defense vs. recent games against Denver. I look for their pass rush to improve this week some and force Keenum into some errors. Question is who will cover Sanders as he presents the toughest matchup.

Xfactor's favor the Raiders this week. Lot of rumblings about Carr this week. Cooper not getting the ball, etc. So this could play heavily against Denver if they come in focused and looking to get Cooper involved and stretch the field.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

lol.... the things some fans say. If Harris has a chip on his shoulder from 2 years ago when he was cut as an URFA, then I feel bad for him for need that motivation. 

King on the other hand can probably be baited into a 15 yard penalty this week. I look forward to that

Is the attitude REALLY necessary? Nice to see you haven't grown up since I last frequented the website.

Chris Harris Jr went undrafted 7 years ago - he still goes on about it now. Brandon Marshall was cut by the Jaguars 6 years ago - he still goes on about it now.

Players (sorry, people) hold grudges. Football is a violent sport where bulletin board material is used every day, every week as a means of making players more violent. Can't believe I am having to explain this.

I am more worried about King's Punting than his antics. He got schooled by a (very impressive) Rookie Punter making his debut last Sunday.

"I look for their pass rush to improve this week" - based on what, exactly? That's an easy comment to make, not an easy one to back up.

"Lots of rumblings about Carr this week" - And? So because someone has been talked about, that means they are going to fix their issues? He looked like a scared kid in the pocket in that 2nd half, seeing ghosts everywhere. If he plays like he did in the 1st half, then he's got a chance to make a lot of plays. If he plays like he did in the 2nd half, he's going to get killed.

Cooper needs to concentrate on being able to catch the ball before I get overly worried about him. Great talent, but absolutely no consistency. We are thin at CB though, so no week like the present to get it going.

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

lol.... the things some fans say....

Does anyone else see the irony here? O.o

I get King and OAK left on bad terms but the saltiness here and then calling out other takes is kind of rich. 

I get King and OAK left on bad terms but the saltiness here and then calling out other takes is kind of rich. 

BP is a great guy but his history of self-owning in his attempts to troll the Broncos forum has really become an institution here. 

Is the attitude REALLY necessary? Nice to see you haven't grown up since I last frequented the website.

Perhaps you can't convey my tone. There was no attitude. Just think it is funny t think a player who has nothing to do with the current staff would hold any sort of grudge. 

I am more worried about King's Punting than his antics. He got schooled by a (very impressive) Rookie Punter making his debut last Sunday.

Dickson is insane. By contrast, Johnny Townsend does not have and NFL leg and it was a downgrade at the position as expected. Good directional kicker however.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

"I look for their pass rush to improve this week" - based on what, exactly? That's an easy comment to make, not an easy one to back up.

Well, it has no place to go but up mainly. They are not facing McVey, Gurley and as talented an Oline. Guenther won't need to focus on as many weapons in coverage packages.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

"Lots of rumblings about Carr this week" - And? So because someone has been talked about, that means they are going to fix their issues? He looked like a scared kid in the pocket in that 2nd half, seeing ghosts everywhere. If he plays like he did in the 1st half, then he's got a chance to make a lot of plays. If he plays like he did in the 2nd half, he's going to get killed.

For someone who believes in grudges, you don't buy into a player having pride and wanting to shut everyone up? It happens a lot in sports too.

But honestly....He's got another week in a new system. Bryant coming back to open things up in the passing game. Less talented defense then they faced a weak ago Especially on the Dline. We know Carr to be more the first half player than what he showed in the second half. 

Again.... nobody is catching my tone. It was funny to me because Harris has nothing to do with the current staff. Has already played against the Raiders. Nothing suggests any sort of chip on his shoulder.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Again.... nobody is catching my tone. It was funny to me because Harris has nothing to do with the current staff. Has already played against the Raiders. Nothing suggests any sort of chip on his shoulder.

Again, the irony in your statements....you try to invalidate the assessment of a chip on Harris's shoulder yet you try to present that Carr will come back with improvement because of pride ???  And what are the chances Bryant coming back will even be a factor in his first game back, don't even know if he'll get in the game ?

Or how about your assertion that the Raiders Dline will get better somehow based on out inferior line ??/ PFF did rank our Oline as top 10 this last week, so if the Raiders Dline will get better can't we surmise the DEN Oline gets better ???? Now if you would've pointed out the addition of Hankins and McDonald, I could see how that claim may have been substantiated a bit more but......

Keep this up and your comedy routine may hit more than these forums. 

Archived