General News Thread

.Buzz

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm really torn on Hyde.  The sunk cost fallacy is nipping hard at me after inexplicably giving up that pick for him.  But $5M is way too much cap hit for a backup RB.  You can find these guys on ultra-cheap rookie deals, or even cheap veteran deals who...behind a good OLine, are more than capable.  I don't think there's anything special about Hyde...though he does fit nicely as insurance for that power back role for when Fournette inevitably misses time.

I think it'd probably be best to just swallow that sunk cost and look to build a cheaper backfield...but it just stings that they gave up the very pick they probably could've grabbed a serviceable depth RB with, for Hyde...only to barely use him this year, and then having him sitting there with a bloated cap hit next year.

Maybe he's another restructure candidate, which would be nice in at least salvaging something out of the trade if we could whittle that cap number down a bit.

I don’t disagree with any of this. But I’d still trash them for bringing in Hyde solely to save this season, then leaving him inactive his first game and then not having any intention of keeping him after this season.

Imagine thinking that was a good idea.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don’t disagree with any of this. But I’d still trash them for bringing in Hyde solely to save this season, then leaving him inactive his first game and then not having any intention of keeping him after this season.

Imagine thinking that was a good idea.

Yeah.  Whether they keep Hyde or not though, it was basically a stupid trade that they should probably be trashed for...if they weren't going to use him this year.  Just to varying degrees.

Especially with Fournette coming back shortly after, before Hyde was ever even really used...which makes the trade feel like a stupid panic kneejerk because they were "frustrated" by the injury, that ended up being pretty much totally unnecessary.  I mean, a guy like CJ Anderson just became available a couple weeks (plus the Bye) later, who seems like he still would've been a plenty serviceable substitute for that role...without the cost of a 5th round pick that we could really use to replenish some cheap depth at one of a number of sorely needed positions (or find a young lower mileage depth RB with "upside").

Anyone else think cutting guys like Malik and/or Calais will hurt our chances at bringing on other high-caliber FAs in the near future? I mean those guys are still killing it and yet we want to let them go? That cant make prospective FAs feel good about coming here even if we are offering more money

Also, I'd hate to see Gip get cut for the reasons you guys mentioned. On a non-egregious salary and there is simply no one else to take his spot. Also, cutting Parnell would suck too if we already aren't sure about Cam next year and we lack depth at OT anyways but we went all-in with free agency 2 years ago and eventually we have to sign some good young guys. I cant imagine next year will be a significantly better year than this one unless we hit big time on draft picks because good players are going to get cut this year

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I have a feeling that after today, some of our fans are going to add Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy to the list of QBs we should look at lol

should be fun

I get what you’re saying and agree, but bntil we get *the guy* there, I wish we would spend on a Chase Daniel type to be our backup. Someone that understands football and can justify benching a starter for mediocre play. 

10 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I have a feeling that after today, some of our fans are going to add Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy to the list of QBs we should look at lol

should be fun

I want to add Matt Nagy and Jay Gruden to our list of offseason targets tbh.

Or more realistically...just some sort of coordinator who understands how to shelter and get the most out of mediocre QB play.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Or more realistically...just some sort of coordinator who understands how to shelter and get the most out of mediocre QB play.

I got confused because Jay Gruden getting fired isn't that unrealistic.

18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I want Sean McVay. 

48 minutes ago, VLoo said:

I hear you, but any time you can hire within off of Gus Bradley's staff, you gotta do it.

I get it, man. I mean clearly Gus was the only problem with that staff. All his hires were great, all the people who hired him and supplied him players were great. The problem was him and only him. 

Archived