General News Thread

.Buzz

On 11/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Anyone else think cutting guys like Malik and/or Calais will hurt our chances at bringing on other high-caliber FAs in the near future? I mean those guys are still killing it and yet we want to let them go? That cant make prospective FAs feel good about coming here even if we are offering more money

Also, I'd hate to see Gip get cut for the reasons you guys mentioned. On a non-egregious salary and there is simply no one else to take his spot. Also, cutting Parnell would suck too if we already aren't sure about Cam next year and we lack depth at OT anyways but we went all-in with free agency 2 years ago and eventually we have to sign some good young guys. I cant imagine next year will be a significantly better year than this one unless we hit big time on draft picks because good players are going to get cut this year

yes and no.  no because while cutting them while they are still good isnt a good look but you also have to consider the fact we wont have money for high-caliber free agents or extensions for deserving players.  theres only so much money to go around and unfortunately unlike baseball the NFL does have a salary cap. 

i would expect us to be a decent draw for free agents as we have no state-income tax.  obviously to get good player your either gotta overpay when your bad or pay a good salary and be good. most players seem to be all about making the most money aslong as they have a starting role. 

12 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Because we're the Jaguars, were going to force a QB pick this draft and pass on better ones the draft after.

eh i wouldnt be too sure.  depending where we pick and whom declares theres honestly alot of intriguing options whom seem alot better then a qb besides herbert and to a lesser extent haskins. 

15 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

eh i wouldnt be too sure.  depending where we pick and whom declares theres honestly alot of intriguing options whom seem alot better then a qb besides herbert and to a lesser extent haskins. 

I could see us going after a one year vet. Unfortunately, that would probably put us in a similar position the Broncos have found themselves in... Only without the Super Bowl.  We would probably end up missing out on drafting a long term quarterback in that situation too. 

Can't tank next season either way. That would be tough to swallow. 

5 hours ago, MoJo122-b-21 said:

I could see us going after a one year vet. Unfortunately, that would probably put us in a similar position the Broncos have found themselves in... Only without the Super Bowl.  We would probably end up missing out on drafting a long term quarterback in that situation too. 

Can't tank next season either way. That would be tough to swallow. 

Also, like the Broncos

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Take it for what it's worth source wise.

shefter just tweeted Hackett is gone.

please for the love of god hire Kliff Kingsbury as our next OC.  hes got OC experience and HC experience at the college level. smart guy who loves air-raid offense but hes always looking to be cutting edge and we honestly could use that. i think bortles would thrive in an air-raid style offense

5 hours ago, VLoo said:

Bortles would not thrive in any offense. He causes offense to my eyes when he throws the ball and that's the only type of offense he's consistently good at.

Agreed.

And an air raid offense that makes him do the throwing more, and with precision and timing sounds like the complete opposite something he would be good at.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

nah. Gene Smith was historically bad. He legitimately gets brought up in All-Time worst GM discussions along with Matt Millen.

It’s taken him 6 years to build this team and we got 1 good season out of it. Yes he has made some good moves but in the end, he whiffed on the most important position and continues to stand behind him when everybody knows what he is.

Think I saw something from Alfie that said Gene had 22 wins in 4 years and Dave has 26 wins in 6 years.

4 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

It’s taken him 6 years to build this team and we got 1 good season out of it. Yes he has made some good moves but in the end, he whiffed on the most important position and continues to stand behind him when everybody knows what he is.

Think I saw something from Alfie that said Gene had 22 wins in 4 years and Dave has 26 wins in 6 years.

Sure, but Caldwell also had to begin with a worse roster than Gene did and had a far worse coach (who he's hinted at as not being the guy he wanted).

Even if you wanna say Caldwell is bad (and let's say he is for argument's sake based off of overall record and missing at QB) he's not on the level of Gene Smith. Gene ultimately didn't really hit on anyone in the draft and the roster got worse and worse as Shack Harris players continued to leave and Jack Del Rio slowly started to hate football. Saying he's in Gene Smith territory seems purely out of frustration. A guy can be bad or have been bad for us without entering "All-Time" bad discussion.

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Sure, but Caldwell also had to begin with a worse roster than Gene did and had a far worse coach (who he's hinted at as not being the guy he wanted).

Even if you wanna say Caldwell is bad (and let's say he is for argument's sake based off of overall record and missing at QB) he's not on the level of Gene Smith. Gene ultimately didn't really hit on anyone in the draft and the roster got worse and worse as Shack Harris players continued to leave and Jack Del Rio slowly started to hate football. Saying he's in Gene Smith territory seems purely out of frustration. A guy can be bad or have been bad for us without entering "All-Time" bad discussion.

I think the fact he was so infatuated with Bortles, didn’t tell any of his scouts he was going to take him, passing on a player like Khalil Mack for a guy who admitted he isn’t a natural thrower of the football, continuing to stick with him when he has been one of the worst QB’s in the last 5 years, while giving him an extension, cancels out literally anything good he has done imo. This will set our franchise back for years. 

This team had a SB window and they pushed all their chips in on Blake Bortles because Dave Caldwell is to stubborn to move on from his golden child. 

Archived