General News Thread

.Buzz

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

My offseason wish list: 

New HC: Pete Carmichael 

New QB: Dwayne Haskin

New DC: Vance Joseph 

If we can pull this off this offseason I’ll be a happy man going into 2019. I’m not interested in Flacco at all, I’d much rather have Bridgewater than Flacco. I think if you can land Carmichael and Bridgewater you’re  already ahead the power curve. You potentially have Carmichael who Bridgewater would have spent quite some time with Pete already so he knows his philosophy and what he wants to do on offense. You can than sit Haskin and let him develop.. depending on how Bridgewater does year 1 he could potentially push Haskin to sit a full year. If you sign Flacco I’m pretty sure he doesn’t last a full year before people are clamoring for Haskin to start before the season is over. It could potentially be the same with Bridgewater but I just feel like if you get Carmichael and Bridgewater you have more stability of a head coach implementing a system that the QB already is familiar with and it’s just going to end up being a smoother transition. All of it is a long shot but thats my offseason wish list.

I'd fully agree with the bolded.  But it doesn't make any sense to do that in the first place.  I think you do one or the other:  a)you spend your high 1st round pick on a QB like Haskins, and that is your guy, sooner rather than later.  get you a cheap guy who can flounder for a few games until rookie is ready.  OR  b)you bring in what is probably going to be a pricier veteran stopgap like Flacco/Teddy, and use that high 1st or even trade down and use multiple picks on weapons to surround them with for the next couple years (weapons that a future QB pick should also inherit down the road).

If you're going down the road of trying to make something of the last couple years of this defense by bringing in a ready-to-go Vet like Flacco...you go fully down that road.  Spend what you can on weapons for them to actually have a shot at suceeding.  Maybe take a flyer on a Day2 QB or something, but don't put a foot in two opposite directions by spending your most premium draft asset on someone that's going to come for their job in a month, rather than actually help them succeed.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know Flacco isn't great but I think he can do what we wanted Blake to do this year except without the running ability. He has never been a guy that had great weapons so that won't be a tough transition since we dont have any either haha

I think if you're considering Flacco, you do have to make sure you have the right type of weapons for him though.  Just like when we were talking Alex Smith at some point last year, it was kinda imperative to bring in a great seam threat TE for him.  Really need to have that lid-lifter downfield threat for Flacco to work his bread and butter signature play.  Really, in general...i think if you're going to make Flacco work, as per the above...you're kinda forgoing the 1st round QB market, and you're gonna be spending most of that draft capital on weapons and support pieces to at least give him a fighting chance for the next couple years.

Adam Gase apparently out in Miami, along with potentially moving on from Tannehill at QB makes for a really interesting situation.  I honestly wouldn't be opposed to just bringing both on board, with Gase as OC running Tannehill.  Skip the feeling out process, roll with familiarity...but still get that change of scenery effect.  See what they can do with a bonafide defense on the other end of things.  It'd be a really interesting duo to look at as a pairing.  It'd probably mean plenty of cap-clearing...but it'd potentially also mean keeping and spending a lot of top picks on help for this offense around the FA QB.

Obviously you'd still want to draft a guy, but i kinda like it.  If things go as it sounds they might in Miami.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Adam Gase apparently out in Miami, along with potentially moving on from Tannehill at QB makes for a really interesting situation.  I honestly wouldn't be opposed to just bringing both on board, with Gase as OC running Tannehill.  Skip the feeling out process, roll with familiarity...but still get that change of scenery effect.  See what they can do with a bonafide defense on the other end of things.  It'd be a really interesting duo to look at as a pairing.  It'd probably mean plenty of cap-clearing...but it'd potentially also mean keeping and spending a lot of top picks on help for this offense around the FA QB.

Obviously you'd still want to draft a guy, but i kinda like it.  If things go as it sounds they might in Miami.

I'd be down for it, but it sounds like Gase will have HC interest right away.

39 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'd be down for it, but it sounds like Gase will have HC interest right away.

How do you even know Gase is even cool with having Tannehill orchestra his offense with a new team? I don’t know what his relationship is with Tannehill but I’d assume he doesn’t exactly have a great vote of confidence in a guy that just helped him get canned.

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

How do you even know Gase is even cool with having Tannehill orchestra his offense with a new team? I don’t know what his relationship is with Tannehill but I’d assume he doesn’t exactly have a great vote of confidence in a guy that just helped him get canned.

I don't know and I don't care. I'd be down with it though.

On 30/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, ET80 said:

https://apnews.com/27d7520db8684cedabf9fe02abb55382

Any truth to this? This is pretty big, IMO...

Seems true.  Reported by multiple reliable sources, etc.  But pretty unclear what it actually means.

Could be something.  Could also just be Idzik being a stodgy old man and wanting to use Fournette's breaches to maximize cap flexibility, or Coughlin and Co. continuing to be unreasonable upset at Fournette for not magically delivering them a functional offense with their **** bum quarterback.

Archived