General News Thread

.Buzz

On 01/01/2019 at 6:47 PM, .Buzz said:

The tape doesn't lie either Telvin.

Love the guy but he was not very good this year. 

He wasn't great, and he certainly had a lot more uncharacteristic missed/broken tackles this year.  But it's still weird to me that Myles Jack somehow seems to escape criticism in this like he does.  Yeah, lesser salary, lesser expectations...but i still think it was Myles Jack transitioning to full time MLB replacing that rotation situation with Poz that was the weakest link in that LBer corps (along with the consequent drop-off in play of that 3rd LBer, or more accurately...just apparently deciding to use that "3rd LBer" less in general maybe).

I think having a guy like Poz in the middle for a lot of earlier down and short yardage work was a pretty underrated benefit to Telvin's game.  Whereas Jack in those situations, just doesn't have the same veteran savvy, or probably more importantly...just that same violent ability to either fight through blocks himself, or even just absorb them and let Telvin swoop in to make big plays.

Part of it does seem to be Telvin just having an off year (like pretty much everyone on the defense)...but it also seems like those stats are highlighting the way "on tape", he seemed to spend a lot more time chasing plays down and cleaning up other spillover more than previous years.  More playing in retreat, rather than sideline to sideline and downhill.  Which is going to influence those particular types of stats.  And a lot of that i lay at Myles Jack playing beside him.  Along with the DLine playing less exceptionally in front of both of them, obviously.

Like Telvin is saying...look at some other numbers, and even just in a bulk stat like "tackles"...Telvin may have had more missed/broken tackles than usual, but at the same time...he was out there setting a career high in tackles made too.  Granted, some missed time last year...but i think it hints at something else going on there, more than just Telvin suddenly being trash.  More being laid at his feet in the first place, which can generate some more missed tackles too.  Like...we've got Poz and his 60 tackles (including 40+ solo credits) out the door...and Myles Jack moving into even more snaps in a role that tends to carry even more tackles just by virtue of the position...but there's not really that much more there.

No doubt Telvin needs to be better next year.  But i'm more worried about whether Jack is going to be able to fully handle that role as well as it seemed to work with the weird Poz/Jack tag-team shenanigans as a real heavy-hitter and tackling machine in the middle in those sort of situations.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

No Ramsey is... interesting.

Is it though?

He played well below what he's capable of, on a bad team in a small market that the media mostly just forgot about the second they caught onto the fact that "Sacksonville" was going to be abysmal again this season.

I'd say it could actually be useful leverage as an argument against Ramsey demanding to be the highest paid CB, or highest paid defensive player in the league or whatever it comes down to...but honestly, it probably doesn't matter at all.  Especially if he comes back next year and plays at the level he's shown capable of and the team around him doesn't completely suck...which probably gets him on that list next year.

Also, that list kinda sucks.  But whatever.

16 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Tony Boselli is in the 15 finalists for the HOF again. I feel like given who got in last year he has a better chance this year but still unlikely. I dont know some of the older players and definitely not the contributors or seniors 

I feel like Champ and Reed are locks

This is as tough a class as last year's. Tony will need someone to really bang the drum for him.

Reed is a lock,as is Tony Gonzalez IMO. 

There's also three other OL candidates, which I suspect will compete with each other for votes.

12 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

This is as tough a class as last year's. Tony will need someone to really bang the drum for him.

Reed is a lock,as is Tony Gonzalez IMO. 

There's also three other OL candidates, which I suspect will compete with each other for votes.

You’re probably right. Sucks alot to be so close consistently and never get there

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Cool i guess.  Other than that one little blip, hasn't he been mostly disappointing though?  Fine enough as depth that should actually be cheap either way.

Gotta think that's probably a sign Hyde is gonna be a cap casualty.

Also maybe sprinkles a tiny bit more fuel on the Bevell as OC fire?  Probably just looking too hard for a slight connection there though.

11 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

why I'm posting it here and not as its own thread, haha

Easy to joke about now, but it's not gonna be so funny when we end up cutting Hyde for cap reasons, trade Fournette because he misses a meeting or something, strike out in the draft because "the value wasn't right"...and Rawls ends up our starting RB.  B|

Archived