General News Thread

.Buzz

18 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Feel like it's one or the other unfortunately.

I would like Foles, but that means no Haskins/Jones/Murray etc. imo so I don't like it. I'll be fine with it if it happens, but I'd prefer a rookie.

Yeah.  It'd be sweet to have the best of both worlds, but realistically with finite assets to invest...i think either/or is pretty much the way it's gotta be.

Nick Foles isn't going to be just a cheap stopgap flyer type like some of the others might be.  If we're going to land him, it's going to cost a fair bit and probably require at least a few years of commitment.  You're going down that road because you think he can be the answer for a few years.  If you're going to go ahead with that plan, you'd be foolish not to follow it through by trying to put him in the best situation to succeed.

Doing that almost certainly means investing picks and whatever you have left in cap space in weapons and supporting pieces to "win now" with Foles, and help him out as much as you can.  Because that's the sort of situation where Foles stands at least a chance of being successful and looking like a totally viable starting QB.  We've seen Foles in situations without the right weapons and pieces around him with the Rams, and it was bad.

Don't think that precludes drafting a QB "project" for DeFilippo to tinker and tutor with...and this draft has a pretty decent collection of interesting projects like that to look at imo.  But it probably means you're spending your Day 1/2 picks predominantly on pieces to support him (and/or patch holes in the defense from making cap room for Foles).

I'm inclined to think of Foles as a bit of "fool's gold" like @JaguarCrazy2832 described, because he's only really found success in that one place.  But if you can replicate enough of that situation (and we probably have the OC to do it now), i think he's proven that he absolutely can be at least a very decent NFL starting QB.  It would make a ton of sense considering where this staff is at with their stay of execution...and Foles or Flacco is probably our best shot at actually making something of the last year or two of this defense before it has to be substantially rebuilt.  I'll be okay with it if that's the route the go, provided they do go at it the right way and put as much support as they can around him, and don't try to walk in two opposite directions at once with the QB situation.

11 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Didn't someone on twitter predict this hire right after we fired Hackett because Flip has some sort of tie to Coughlin? Could've swore I remember that, and that could play a role in his hire as well. 

Yeah I think it was Dilla or one of the BCC folks

On 21/01/2019 at 4:56 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What are the odds we are 1 of the teams remotely interested in Kareem Hunt?

I have no idea if they are or not, but i hope not.  One of those clear and disgusting examples of the NFL letting talent > decent human behavior.

Tbh...looking at the way other guys have been able to run in that situation, i think the talent is probably be overrated in the first place even.  Depth pieces and guys plucked off the street looking very good there too.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Can they afford to tag him? Like we mentioned with waiting to cut Bortles, won't they have to make moves to free up such a huge cap hit even if it is a short timeframe?

they have a few guys they seem like they want to cut.  have to remember his option is already counted in their projected cap number. 

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I have no idea if they are or not, but i hope not.  One of those clear and disgusting examples of the NFL letting talent > decent human behavior.

Tbh...looking at the way other guys have been able to run in that situation, i think the talent is probably be overrated in the first place even.  Depth pieces and guys plucked off the street looking very good there too.

i think hunt isnt as overated as u think.  part of the reason other guys like Ware have had success is because 1) they arent facing 8 man fronts and 2) the chiefs have a pretty good OL. 

some of the guys signed off the streets arent good fits for what 1 team does but is for another(looking at u CJ anderson).  

heres a cool links with some real interesting numbers/stats.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kareem-hunt/  hunt created 1.57 yards this past season and 1.94 last year.   averaged 4.3 yards this year discounting the breakaway runs that skew stats. run blocking efficiency of 71.1 this year and 30.8 last year.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/leonard-fournette/     Fournette created 1 yard(.99 says ill give it to him) per carry this year and last season was 1.38. this year he averaged 3.2 yards discounting the big runs.  run block efficiency was 52.7 this year after last years 78.1. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/damien-williams/#!#current-year Williams created 1.67 yards this past season. he averaged 4.9 this year discounting the breakaway runs. 

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i think hunt isnt as overated as u think.  part of the reason other guys like Ware have had success is because 1) they arent facing 8 man fronts and 2) the chiefs have a pretty good OL. 

some of the guys signed off the streets arent good fits for what 1 team does but is for another(looking at u CJ anderson).  

heres a cool links with some real interesting numbers/stats.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kareem-hunt/  hunt created 1.57 yards this past season and 1.94 last year.   averaged 4.3 yards this year discounting the breakaway runs that skew stats. run blocking efficiency of 71.1 this year and 30.8 last year.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/leonard-fournette/     Fournette created 1 yard(.99 says ill give it to him) per carry this year and last season was 1.38. this year he averaged 3.2 yards discounting the big runs.  run block efficiency was 52.7 this year after last years 78.1. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/damien-williams/#!#current-year Williams created 1.67 yards this past season. he averaged 4.9 this year discounting the breakaway runs. 

I don't even get what you're arguing here.  Like, you're just saying, "Hunt isn't as overrated as you think"...because...and then you go on to describe exactly why i do think Hunt's talent is overrated. 

Because he didn't have to face stacked boxes.  Because the Chiefs had a good OLine that flattered him.  And more than anything...Because he had that high octane offense to run in.  Where guys like Ware and Damien Williams who other teams didn't seem to find a use for...have found a good deal of success without really skipping a beat.  When you have that much going for you as an offense...backs are just one semi-interchangeable cog in the machine.

Same goes for the Rams, where when you have a strong offense and a strong running game...you can take a guy like CJ Anderson who was apparently "washed up" and cut by two different teams in-season...and turn him into a serious factor.  Specifically on CJ Anderson, i will note that i thought it was exceptionally moronic that our staff couldn't just wait a week or two and pick that particular guy off the street, instead of trading an actually valuable pick for Hyde who is worse, and also going to be cut anyway because he contract is ***.  Heck, if they'd even just been sending out feelers...they could've secured the better RB with the better contract for a tiny fraction of what they spent on Hyde.

Like...your stats comparison doesn't make any sense.  It literally demonstrates what i was saying.  That Williams (a guy they plucked off the street mid-season) does more or less as well on efficiency metrics as Hunt, in the exact same offense.  Comparing that to Fournette's efficiency metrics in our ****ball trashcan offense doesn't even make the tiniest bit of sense. 

Not to mention, Hunt is an actual scummy human being.  Where so far as i've seen...Fournette is just being smeared by the staff that drafted him and their media lackeys because he hasn't lived up to their billing. 

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't even get what you're arguing here.  Like, you're just saying, "Hunt isn't as overrated as you think"...because...and then you go on to describe exactly why i do think Hunt's talent is overrated. 

Because he didn't have to face stacked boxes.  Because the Chiefs had a good OLine that flattered him.  And more than anything...Because he had that high octane offense to run in.  Where guys like Ware and Damien Williams who other teams didn't seem to find a use for...have found a good deal of success without really skipping a beat.  When you have that much going for you as an offense...backs are just one semi-interchangeable cog in the machine.

Same goes for the Rams, where when you have a strong offense and a strong running game...you can take a guy like CJ Anderson who was apparently "washed up" and cut by two different teams in-season...and turn him into a serious factor.  Specifically on CJ Anderson, i will note that i thought it was exceptionally moronic that our staff couldn't just wait a week or two and pick that particular guy off the street, instead of trading an actually valuable pick for Hyde who is worse, and also going to be cut anyway because he contract is ***.  Heck, if they'd even just been sending out feelers...they could've secured the better RB with the better contract for a tiny fraction of what they spent on Hyde.

Like...your stats comparison doesn't make any sense.  It literally demonstrates what i was saying.  That Williams (a guy they plucked off the street mid-season) does more or less as well on efficiency metrics as Hunt, in the exact same offense.  Comparing that to Fournette's efficiency metrics in our ****ball trashcan offense doesn't even make the tiniest bit of sense. 

Not to mention, Hunt is an actual scummy human being.  Where so far as i've seen...Fournette is just being smeared by the staff that drafted him and their media lackeys because he hasn't lived up to their billing. 

Hunt forces more missed tackles then what u think.  id much rather give him a shot then having fatnette being our starting rb.  dude cant even average 4 yards a carry. 

hell if u wanna call hunt a scummy human being i guess that makes Dede westbrook a scummy human being a well because dede also has been in trouble for similiar things.  seems to me our team is fine with giving guys 2nd chances. i dont see the negative in adding hunt to our rb corps because of off the field stuff. ive watched fournette and he misses the hole that our ol makes.   he doesnt have good vision. hes like trent richardson. 

lets not forget that hunt really exploded out last year and teams took ntoice so they probably game-planned and had more tape on him so they were a lil more focused on hunt then mahomes to start the season.  its kinda like how arob went from being a beast to him being locked down in double. 

15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Hunt forces more missed tackles then what u think.  id much rather give him a shot then having fatnette being our starting rb.  dude cant even average 4 yards a carry. 

hell if u wanna call hunt a scummy human being i guess that makes Dede westbrook a scummy human being a well because dede also has been in trouble for similiar things.  seems to me our team is fine with giving guys 2nd chances. i dont see the negative in adding hunt to our rb corps because of off the field stuff. ive watched fournette and he misses the hole that our ol makes.   he doesnt have good vision. hes like trent richardson. 

lets not forget that hunt really exploded out last year and teams took ntoice so they probably game-planned and had more tape on him so they were a lil more focused on hunt then mahomes to start the season.  its kinda like how arob went from being a beast to him being locked down in double. 

Good.  Cut Dede too tbh.  I said that at the draft.  idgaf what talent they're born with...if they're bad people, **** 'em.

Archived