General News Thread

.Buzz

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Nothing new there. They are going to trade him, of course they picked up his option. 

Yeah.  It's just one step in a prolonged procedural saga.

I have a hard time seeing why Foles wouldn't just "buy out" of that 1 year $20M option for 2 million bucks.  He'll easily make that $2M back and then some in year 1 of any deal he signs as an unrestricted FA (or if the Eagles Franchise Tag him).  Becoming a FA is really the best-case for Foles...where he'd be able to pick his landing spot, make more money and cash in with a longer-term deal while his name is still the hottest thing on the market, and he wouldn't cost his new team an extra draft pick on top of it.

So that'll probably be the next step in the process.

Just kinda remains to be seen if the Eagles have the cajones to play chicken with the QB-needy teams by Franchise Tagging Foles after that to try the Tag-and-Trade maneuver while their cap situation is already so precarious.  Or whether picking up his option is just a way of getting $2M back before he walks as a FA and nets them a really high compensatory pick in 2020 anyway.

13 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

At the end of the day Dante, Dante’d And got a illegal hands to the face at a pivotal point in the game.

Dante being Dante...he's always good for a big penalty in a big game.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Dante being Dante...he's always good for a big penalty in a big game.

Tough, because he's also sometimes good for a big play at a big moment.  But the guy just has a complete lack of focus and discipline.

Someone's gonna totally overpay him, and continue to be frustrated for years.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed. As soon as I saw that I was thankful. Dont want that contract, nor want to trade anything for him. 

Flacco's contract isn't even that bad, for Denver at least.  By the time Baltimore eats that dead money on the deal, Flacco will have a lower cap number than what we're paying Bortles for 2019.  And be fairly easy to walk away from in the future if they want/need to.  $18M and change isn't bad for what Flacco is.  Their problem is that they're already paying Keenum more than that and can't really walk away from it.

Not sure it really affects the rest of the market a lot, since it basically crosses off 1 potential QB option, but also crosses off 1 potential QB destination.  Though i'm not sure that entirely precludes the Broncos from shopping for a guy in the draft too.  Which means if anything, it probably actually hurts us a tiny bit on the QB carousel market as a whole.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Flacco's contract isn't even that bad, for Denver at least.  By the time Baltimore eats that dead money on the deal, Flacco will have a lower cap number than what we're paying Bortles for 2019.  And be fairly easy to walk away from in the future if they want/need to.  $18M and change isn't bad for what Flacco is.  Their problem is that they're already paying Keenum more than that and can't really walk away from it.

Not sure it really affects the rest of the market a lot, since it basically crosses off 1 potential QB option, but also crosses off 1 potential QB destination.  Though i'm not sure that entirely precludes the Broncos from shopping for a guy in the draft too.  Which means if anything, it probably actually hurts us a tiny bit on the QB carousel market as a whole.

Flacco wasn't moving the needle a lot either way. So it definitely isn't hurting us.

Unless we get Foles and he continues his solid play or we draft a rookie and he turns into a legit guy we're not going where we want to. Flacco may have kept us in purgatory range next year but not much else imo...and his contract may not have been awful but it's not great either. He's definitely a below average option at this stage of his career. Better than what we have? Sure. But that's not saying much. 

If the plan was Flacco+draft Haskins/Murray/Lock than I was all for it, but considering Denver also had to part with a 4th no thanks. Happy we weren't the ones to do that. 

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Flacco wasn't moving the needle a lot either way. So it definitely isn't hurting us.

Unless we get Foles and he continues his solid play or we draft a rookie and he turns into a legit guy we're not going where we want to. Flacco may have kept us in purgatory range next year but not much else imo...and his contract may not have been awful but it's not great either. He's definitely a below average option at this stage of his career. Better than what we have? Sure. But that's not saying much. 

If the plan was Flacco+draft Haskins/Murray/Lock than I was all for it, but considering Denver also had to part with a 4th no thanks. Happy we weren't the ones to do that. 

I think the bolded is probably key though.  We made it to within half a game of the Super Bowl with Blake Bortles at QB.  This team is built to carry a mediocre QB who doesn't "move the needle a lot either way".  Just so long as they don't move it too far to the negative like Bortles did this year.

That said, i'm not exactly distraught that we didn't land Flacco.  xD  He is what he is at this stage, and really...what he's been for most of his career.

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think the bolded is probably key though.  We made it to within half a game of the Super Bowl with Blake Bortles at QB.  This team is built to carry a mediocre QB who doesn't "move the needle a lot either way".  Just so long as they don't move it too far to the negative like Bortles did this year.

That said, i'm not exactly distraught that we didn't land Flacco.  xD  He is what he is at this stage, and really...what he's been for most of his career.

I mean, the same team just had 5 wins. With poor QB play sure, but I'm not sure with below average QB play we're set up for consistent success even with the talent on D.

Archived