General News Thread

.Buzz

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, the same team just had 5 wins. With poor QB play sure, but I'm not sure with below average QB play we're set up for consistent success even with the talent on D.

Kinda depends on how much of the defense we can keep intact too probably.  If there's too much salary going into QB, obviously that's going to mean a bit more gutting elsewhere to fit it in.  A lot of factors to it, but i do think there's a difference between ~lower-end average QB play...to the absolute garbage we got at the position last year.

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda depends on how much of the defense we can keep intact too probably.  If there's too much salary going into QB, obviously that's going to mean a bit more gutting elsewhere to fit it in.  A lot of factors to it, but i do think there's a difference between ~lower-end average QB play...to the absolute garbage we got at the position last year.

For sure. I think he'd definitely improve things, just feel like we'd then be in purgatory ala a mid teens pick with no chance of going anywhere and outside the range for a QB. 

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

For sure. I think he'd definitely improve things, just feel like we'd then be in purgatory ala a mid teens pick with no chance of going anywhere and outside the range for a QB. 

Maybe.  It really is hard to get a great read on what this team is capable of with serviceable quarterbacking, because of how far apart the results are from 2017 to 2018 seasons, and how much the whole team seemed to just sag last year.  Hard to figure just how much of that drop-off was actual talent deficiencies, vs just getting frustrated and scaling back the intensity because of the futility at QB inevitably dragging the whole team down no matter what.

There's always trading up too, even if you do end up in a middling purgatory like that.  Especially if you factor that in the alternative...we probably end up having to trade up to get the guy in this draft anyway.

39 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Maybe.  It really is hard to get a great read on what this team is capable of with serviceable quarterbacking, because of how far apart the results are from 2017 to 2018 seasons, and how much the whole team seemed to just sag last year.  Hard to figure just how much of that drop-off was actual talent deficiencies, vs just getting frustrated and scaling back the intensity because of the futility at QB inevitably dragging the whole team down no matter what.

There's always trading up too, even if you do end up in a middling purgatory like that.  Especially if you factor that in the alternative...we probably end up having to trade up to get the guy in this draft anyway.

Yeah, but it seems like Flacco has fallen off quite a bit. He had a great defense in Baltimore this year and they struggled. Lamar Jackson, who even had his lumps and was a rookie while being extremely raw, turned around their season and got them a playoff appearance after Flacco/Ravens went on a 3 game skid and fell to 4-5 midseason before a 6-1 record down the stretch.

I just don't think Flacco was taking us anywhere. I get your logic behind thinking you never know considering where we went in 2017, but I don't see it. 

Either way, I'd rather go a different option and I'm happy Flacco isn't an option.. especially if we had to trade draft capital while taking on his deal.

Archived