General News Thread

.Buzz

Just now, Speedyg said:

No Lamar isn't ready. But drafting him wouldn't be about drafting the most pro ready...because I don't think anyone at that spot (and later) were ready.

It was however, about giving us an option. If Bortles failed this season like he is failing now, Lamar would provide some sparks with his running ability while struggling some on the passing game.

I doubt it would have been enough to carry this team to the super bowl or even a playoff run.

But he would have gotten experience and be more ready for a full run next season before we really have to make some difficult decisions salary wise in 2020. You can even still keep Blake as an expensive backup in that scenario (or cut bait and save 4M while retaining Kessler as backup).

By not taking a QB (whether it's Lamar or even Rudolph,though I'm not too high on Rudolph) we really have put all a of our eggs in one Blake Basket. 

And it's looking pretty rotten right now.

pretty sure rudolph would have feasted with this west coast and crossers for days. 

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

pretty sure rudolph would have feasted with this west coast and crossers for days. 

I mean, anyone can feast on crossers.  It is one of the easiest reads and throw a QB can make.  That's why this team believed they can get away with Bortles and a young (but speedy) receiving group.  

The problem is that the absence of Fournette has allowed teams to sit on these routes more. With injuries on the OL compounded that too.

im guessing they are hoping they can pound it with Hyde enough for one week to get to the bye at .500, and hopefully get Leonard back and go back to a ground and pound identity with Fournette and Hyde that it forces teams to bring that extra defender and play man which allows Blake to make his high/low crossers reads. 

4 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I don't like what they did with Blake but it's not like there were tons of options.  It was him or go NUTS to get Cousins.  Which,  hindsight,  is probably a better option right now. 

I know you aren't a fan of Lamar, but this is also why I wanted him when he fell.  We are married to Blake now,  for at least another year with no real alternative (Kessler might be arguably better than the current version of Blake were seeing,  but not the Blake we saw in playoffs).

Had we taken him,  we could have had an option should Blake faltered that would have had a few games this season and full time starter next season. By 2020, we cut Blake's salary and only have a rookie salary at QB. That would have been HUGE for our salary issues. 

Instead,  they take Campbell's eventual replacement (who so far looks average). Granted DE usually don't emerge until year 2, but still. 

In either case,  the decision makers decided to roll with Blake. And that's where we are now.

I will also say...I brought up Lamar during the draft and a few said that we can't do that because it will create a controversy and split our locker room. 

Well, thanks to how inept our offense have been...

We still have a QB controversy and we still have a split locker room.

Only we don't have an option to go to. 

And i bet this defense would rally behind Lamar...

Yeah.  It was a cruddy situation for sure.  Basically set up to be a no-win.  Especially considering the team had seemingly started to rally behind Bortles coming off that AFC Championship game run.  And considering that the other really "viable" looking option beyond Cousins was Alex Smith, who the Chiefs didn't seem keen on trading to a conference rival.  I'm not the biggest fan of Lamar Jackson, but i still would've been okay with them at least taking a shot on a guy with some upside and potential to fix the biggest problem with this team...rather than a guy who basically just bolstered an already strong position.

But even recognizing it was a tough situation with no real clear "winning" options...it still really sucks, and it's still extremely frustrating as a fan, watching them essentially punt away this season on Blake.  Especially maddening knowing that they're highly likely to be in the same cruddy situation to do this all again next year, with the defense getting another year older and losing guys as cap casualties.

The only real saving grace is that this draft looks like it could be loaded with interested Day 2 sort of QB projects with upside.  Hitting a home run there (like a Russell Wilson, or even a flash in the pan like Kaepernick) would fix a lot of problems for us...but that's like playing Russian roulette with the season.

28 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like Lamar Jackson isnt close to being ready to be a full time starter. Taking him means we hope our window would still be open after Calais/Malik are gone and possibly Ramsey because right now we arent giving him a reason to stick around

hell u can throw Ngakoue and jack into reasons to stick around as well. 

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like Lamar Jackson isnt close to being ready to be a full time starter. Taking him means we hope our window would still be open after Calais/Malik are gone and possibly Ramsey because right now we arent giving him a reason to stick around

We can realistically keep Malik and Calais through 2019. It will be a crunch, but there's ways around it. 

I'm curious if any team is willing to give up 2 1sts if Jalen is tagged. Since I'm pretty sure we're going to have to in order to keep him

41 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i hope our team has the marbles to go sign chad kelly.  at worst we found a potential Backup QB. at best we found ourselves the future

Good god no. That dude is a mess. His talent isn't worth his trouble.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I said this 8-10 years ago too... this fanbase seriously thinks that Franchise QBs grow on trees. We were spoiled having Mark Brunell so early on.

Not sure spoiled is the right term. This fan base isn't any different than any in the NFL. This is a passing league even more than it already was. 

Brunell early on may have given us a glimpse of a franchise QB, but years of Leftwich, Garrard, Edwards, Gabbert,  Henne, Bortles probably showed us what good qb in the NFL doesn't look like. 

That's a good 15 years (and possibly more since Brunell 's last couple weren't all that good)  since we had legit a guy that defenses had to gameplan for

44 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Not sure spoiled is the right term. This fan base isn't any different than any in the NFL. This is a passing league even more than it already was. 

Brunell early on may have given us a glimpse of a franchise QB, but years of Leftwich, Garrard, Edwards, Gabbert,  Henne, Bortles probably showed us what good qb in the NFL doesn't look like. 

That's a good 15 years (and possibly more since Brunell 's last couple weren't all that good)  since we had legit a guy that defenses had to gameplan for

I think you're drastically missing the point.

27 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think you're drastically missing the point.

Am I?

I mean I'm sure the Chiefs wished they didn't draft mahomes when they had a perferctly solid Alex Smith.

Im sure the packers wish they never took a QB who would sit 2 years since they already had Favre. 

Or the Washington in Cousins when they just drafted Griffin. 

Colts jettisoning Manning when they had a chance at Luck.

But nah... let's stick with Blake coz QBs don't grow on trees. 

Let's just pray our defense not only shuts the other team but also has 2nd most takeaways,  scores 7 touchdowns,  our special teams to score two,  and we don't have any injuries in our offensive line and our franchise running back. 

Then... he'll be OK.

38 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Am I?

I mean I'm sure the Chiefs wished they didn't draft mahomes when they had a perferctly solid Alex Smith.

Im sure the packers wish they never took a QB who would sit 2 years since they already had Favre. 

Or the Washington in Cousins when they just drafted Griffin. 

Colts jettisoning Manning when they had a chance at Luck.

But nah... let's stick with Blake coz QBs don't grow on trees. 

Let's just pray our defense not only shuts the other team but also has 2nd most takeaways,  scores 7 touchdowns,  our special teams to score two,  and we don't have any injuries in our offensive line and our franchise running back. 

Then... he'll be OK.

I have no idea what you're blabbering on about or trying to insinuate, but thanks for showing without a doubt that you drastically missed the point, lmao.

The point I was making was that this fanbase seems to have this idea that Franchise QBs should be easy to find and should always be able to be found in the middle of the season hiding as the QB3 on someone's roster or as the grocery bagger at a Hy-Vee. (this is a wide generalization, however)

Archived