General News Thread

.Buzz

Don't like making judgements on a Twitter user but as I've said, Dilla seems to have an inside source in the Jags organization. Along with the news of Polian likely taking over and Caldwell getting canned, he is painting a picture that we plan to try and restructure with Calais and possibly Malik.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Don't like making judgements on a Twitter user but as I've said, Dilla seems to have an inside source in the Jags organization. Along with the news of Polian likely taking over and Caldwell getting canned, he is painting a picture that we plan to try and restructure with Calais and possibly Malik.

I hope we can restructure them instead of cutting them. 

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Bill or Chris?

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I hope we can restructure them instead of cutting them. 

This. Those guys are aging, but they have made a great impact on our defense. I'd like to see them restructure and remain Jaguars. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

This is so dumb.  Fournette is one of the few guys on this offense who has had legitimately good games, where he looked like a true impact player.  You just drafted him at the very top of the 1st round.  Now you're going to move him for what?  While his value is as low as it's going to get, playing behind this trash OLine with no QB?

Yeah.  Let's go out and create more holes, on an offense that already needs most of the rest of it patched, including the RB needing depth in the first place.  ******* brilliant.

I'm far from a Fournette fan but there is no way you're recouping anything of value for him. It makes zero sense from a cap perspective, it makes zero sense from a talent perspective, and it makes zero sense from the pov of getting value.

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Adding Flacco's steady, veteran guiding hand would jam open a competitive window that is threatening to close prematurely if Jacksonville can't find a quarterback.

Jacksonville only has so many years left to make good on its promising defensive core.

These are, i think, the prescient quotes from that article when it comes to the idea of at least considering a guy like Flacco as an option.

No, he's not gonna be amazing and win games singlehandedly.  No, he's not gonna be the answer beyond the next year or two.  We'd be right back in the QB market sooner, rather than later with a temporary patch fix like Flacco.  But...the counter to that, is that our defense probably only has another elite year in it before it starts to become more than just slightly dismantled for cap reasons anyway.

After another couple years...we may be looking at nothing but maybe like Telvin, Yan, and Jack left from our vaunted 2017 defense.  And i for one, seriously doubt this organization's ability to draft and develop their way to replacing that kind of elite talent.  Especially when they didn't draft and develop most of that defense in the first place...just went out and outspent everyone else on everyone they wanted to build half the darn thing.  Calais, Malik, and Dareus as a cap-dump in essence on the line.  Bouye, Gipson, Church making up most of the secondary.  Poz a lingering big money FA as well playing a role.  We're already starting to lose key pieces for cap reasons and guys aging out.  That's not going to get better, and we're not going to be drafting and replacing with high picks at a rate fast enough to stem that tide...not while also fixing a pathetic offense via the draft, and with no cap space to binge on free agents anymore.

So essentially...unless we stumble upon a magical unicorn of a QB who becomes a franchise changing player by their sophomore year...we're going to be in at least some manner of "rebuilding" phase after the next year or two, pretty much no matter what.  In that light, i can see a very reasonable argument for trying a veteran option like Flacco to at least make some semblance of a run while we're still got some of this potentially game-changing defense together.  Yeah, it's right back to dredging the depths of a ground up "rebuild" again after that 1-2 year run comes to a crashing halt.  But again...this team is probably gonna stink in a couple years again no matter what.  Unless we find a QB who is basically a transcendent talent completely breaking the mold to carry a team totally "rebuilding" around them in their 2nd/3rd year.  And there's nearly zero chance of any rookie QB coming in and truly tipping the scales for us in year 1.  Doesn't seem like the worst idea to me, to pursue an option that might be able to at least make some semblance of a run with whatever year or two we have left on a defense that deserves better than it's had in offensive support.

My offseason wish list: 

New HC: Pete Carmichael 

New QB: Dwayne Haskin

New DC: Vance Joseph 

If we can pull this off this offseason I’ll be a happy man going into 2019. I’m not interested in Flacco at all, I’d much rather have Bridgewater than Flacco. I think if you can land Carmichael and Bridgewater you’re  already ahead the power curve. You potentially have Carmichael who Bridgewater would have spent quite some time with Pete already so he knows his philosophy and what he wants to do on offense. You can than sit Haskin and let him develop.. depending on how Bridgewater does year 1 he could potentially push Haskin to sit a full year. If you sign Flacco I’m pretty sure he doesn’t last a full year before people are clamoring for Haskin to start before the season is over. It could potentially be the same with Bridgewater but I just feel like if you get Carmichael and Bridgewater you have more stability of a head coach implementing a system that the QB already is familiar with and it’s just going to end up being a smoother transition. All of it is a long shot but thats my offseason wish list.

Archived