Dejà Vu: OAK signs Martavius Bryant to 1-year deal

Broncofan

To pay a 3rd round pick is one thing.   But man, if you are cutting him because he's getting suspended before even playing a game, well, you'd think maybe to ensure that he's getting suspended.   Sounds like an appeal was won that changed the outcome here - but either way, OAK lucks out to get him back, after cutting him loose.   LOL's all the way around (although I can't fault the decision to re-sign him if he's not getting suspended, only the original decision clearly being premature).

Like @TheKillerNacho said, now that they played Week 1 his contract isn’t guaranteed.

I’d also like to know if the Raiders can do what the Packers did with Koren Robinson in 2006 when he got suspended after playing 4 games and his contract was put on hold. So realistically it was a 2 year deal with the 1 year suspension right in the middle of it.  

50 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I guess this ensures his contract isn't guarenteed, right? Since he's being resigned after Week 1...

Here’s the rub though - if he gets suspended the salary voids anyways.  As do any future guarantees (there are no bonuses since PIT paid them out).   The salary guarantee doesn’t carry the same importance if it’s for protection against suspension.  If it’s for other off-the-field concerns I guess but then it underscores how poor their background work must have been done pre-trade to not flag it then.  So SMH’s either way.  

Archived