Week 2: Indianapolis Colts

Ghostnote

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Both the Jets and Bills scored more points than the Redskins did today. They also lost by less than the Redskins did today.

Per the NFL.com play-by-play description, both Darnold and Allen attempted 10 "deep" passes; Smith attempted six. Both Darnold (4) and Allen (3) attempted a "deep" pass in the 4th quarter; Smith did not.

So, yeah, the rookies threw interceptions. They were trying to win the game. What was Smith doing?

Wasn’t Smith the best deep ball thrower in the universe last year or whatever cockamamie stat we argued over for weeks? Couldn’t Tyreek Hill and Andy Reid be part of the trade too?

11 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Wasn’t Smith the best deep ball thrower in the universe last year or whatever cockamamie stat we argued over for weeks? Couldn’t Tyreek Hill and Andy Reid be part of the trade too?

Some of us argued that the overall trendline of his career pointed that last season was an aberration and that we shouldn't count on him replicating his career best year.

We were told that Smith's 2017 season was the new bar to judge him by.

I hope we are supposed to judge him still by 2017 because 2018 isn't looking all that good. Like, "this was a completely boneheaded trade that no one could have predicted would blow up in the Redskins' faces back when it was made" ungood.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Some of us argued that the overall trendline of his career pointed that last season was an aberration and that we shouldn't count on him replicating his career best year.

I hope we are supposed to judge him still by 2017 because 2018 isn't looking all that good. Like, "this was a completely boneheaded trade that no one could have predicted would blow up in the Redskins' faces back when it was made" ungood.

We all knew to be successful by any measure Smith needs a running game to work off of. A seven yard pass looks great on 2nd and 5. Have a game like today where he has to make a few big throws, he makes a couple (not enough) of those throws and they get dropped. They just don’t have that guy that would get seperation and make the plays consistently outside to bail the running game out  

30 minutes ago, Woz said:

Is the season over?

13 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

We all knew to be successful by any measure Smith needs a running game to work off of. A seven yard pass looks great on 2nd and 5. Have a game like today where he has to make a few big throws, he makes a couple (not enough) of those throws and they get dropped. They just don’t have that guy that would get seperation and make the plays consistently outside to bail the running game out  

You can't pay a QB $90 mil that is that dependent on the rest of his roster to be successful.

20 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Another random point: Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but our interior DL seemed to play wider. Not sure what the idea was there, but it felt like the Colts were getting what they wanted up the middle. 

I didn’t notice, I think they do that when there are 3 WRs in the game which the Colts had a lot with TY, Grant and Rogers.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You can't pay a QB $90 mil that is that dependent on the rest of his roster to be successful.

Eh. They’re all worth 90+ now. Even Bortles got 20+ per, and any QB needs help to be successful. Besides I don’t know what else they could do. Kirk wasn’t coming back. They went out and got a guy before the FA sweepstakes began. 

12 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Eh. They’re all worth 90+ now. Even Bortles got 20+ per, and any QB needs help to be successful. Besides I don’t know what else they could do. Kirk wasn’t coming back. They went out and got a guy before the FA sweepstakes began. 

Doesn’t matter, they won’t listen to reason. Basically, their points are as follows:

1. Should’ve traded Kirk last year when he didn’t sign your long term offer.

2. Shouldn’t have traded for Alex Smith, instead should’ve punted on the season and sucked for a new qb next year. We should’ve signed someone like Bradford or Bridgewater and drafted a QB to develop to compete with Colt McCoy. 

Lavar has wanted Josh Allen for a year, I think Mknight was a Rosen and Mayfield guy, not sure about the others. If we had traded Kirk for multiple picks, I would’ve packaged them together to trade up for Sam Darold as I think he’s the best qb to come out of the 2018 draft.

If we had done that everything would be wonderful! Sure... ? 

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Doesn’t matter, they won’t listen to reason. Basically, their points are as follows:

1. Should’ve traded Kirk last year when he didn’t sign your long term offer.

2. Shouldn’t have traded for Alex Smith, instead should’ve punted on the season and sucked for a new qb next year. We should’ve signed someone like Bradford or Bridgewater and drafted a QB to develop to compete with Colt McCoy. 

Lavar has wanted Josh Allen for a year, I think Mknight was a Rosen and Mayfield guy, not sure about the others. If we had traded Kirk for multiple picks, I would’ve packaged them together to trade up for Sam Darold as I think he’s the best qb to come out of the 2018 draft.

If we had done that everything would be wonderful! Sure... ? 

Or had we traded Kirk to San Fran during the 2017 draft for their 2018 first round pick we could’ve got Daron Payne and Derwin James. Kept our third round pick, still traded down and drafted Derrius Guice and Geron Christian all while having an extra third round pick that could’ve been used on Mason Rudolph. 

We would’ve had $20M in extra cap room and not been anchored to an old QB who doesn’t fit this system. Also, we would’ve kept our best young DB. So you start Colt McCoy for one season while Rudolph develops and then you get your LG in the 2019 first or second round. That plan would’ve worked out a lot better in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Or had we traded Kirk to San Fran during the 2017 draft for their 2018 first round pick we could’ve got Daron Payne and Derwin James. Kept our third round pick, still traded down and drafted Derrius Guice and Geron Christian all while having an extra third round pick that could’ve been used on Mason Rudolph. 

We would’ve had $20M in extra cap room and not been anchored to an old QB who doesn’t fit this system. Also, we would’ve kept our best young DB. So you start Colt McCoy for one season while Rudolph develops and then you get your LG in the 2019 first or second round. That plan would’ve worked out a lot better in my opinion. 

That doesn’t necessarily mean the team would be better. Possibly though. We know nothing of what Rudolph will be. Also, we don’t miss Fuller as much as you lead on - if at all - our other young DBs have been good, Dunny and Moreau are playing well. I know you’re a Hokie and Fuller was good but our other young DBs have been good too.

Archived