Overrated/Underrated

Shady Slim

so it's a pretty straightforward thing, say something in football that's overrated and then one that's underrated (or more than one!)

and since it's the internet you can be as controversial as you like and not have to justify yourself!

can be as broad or as narrow as you like

the demise of the fullback as a position is overrated, they've shifted in to a more versatile role; they're definitely not as important but they're still very involved in their own way

defensive tackle is underrated

I'll give you a few:

Overrated: 40 times. If a guy runs a 4.25 but you can't find positive tape on him, he's a track guy, not a football guy.

Underrated: Short area quickness. Give me a guy who can change direction in a heartbeat, while locked in the freezer section where they keep the 2%.

Overrated: Bench Press reps. So, you can rep 225 over 30 times. Nice, I'll keep you in mind if I need to move a couch.

Underrated: Arm length. If I'm shaking your hand from across the room, you're going to have an advantage in many football-based situations.

Overrated: Taking snaps from under C. I get it, it does impact a lot of things. Footwork, progression in reads, pocket awareness. But, let's not pretend that those things take years to learn. An intense OTA and Training Camp, work with a QB coach and that can be learned

Underrated: Natural Hands. You can work on it with juggs machines, get everyone to throw to you in a daily basis, work them out to increase overall flexibility in the fingers - but when the moment of truth comes and the ball is in the air, you either have natural, dependable hands...or you'll drop it.

Overrated - Safest pick in the draft. Stop it. Pick the best player available on your board. 

Underrated - Small school prospects. Competition is overrated, how many of these guys do we see come through with raw talent, once it's honed they beast out. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Oh I assumed since you didn't shop for it you drank from the tap.

I have it helicoptered in by Lea Thompson, circa 1985. I don't have a Panda, but I do have a cloning machine and an age accelerator.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think bench press reps would show stamina and the ability to still be strong later in the game.

I can agree to this - and it does hold value to the eval process from this perspective. What irks me is when people immediately assume that people will be that much more powerful at the point of attack - think of how Robert Gallery was taken #2 overall because he did 15 x 315. People salivated over his strength, but it never manifested itself as people assumed it would.

If you wanted a telling of someone's strength, put in deadlifts.

Underrated - coaches/x's and o's

A great number of fans believe talent is the most important factor in a team's success. They may be right, but I believe the biggest factor is the X's and O's. If the all-time NFL had a mock draft and my team was first to pick (any player, coach, GM, or owner), I'd be very disappointed if they didn't select Belicheck/Walsh/etc.

Overrated - fashion

Not a big fan of all the fashion statements players try to make on the field. Let your play make your name, not your fashion. I am getting tired of these pointless one-arm sleeves, Oregon Duck uniforms, Nike NFL uniforms, and lack of wearing knee pads because they're not fashionable. 

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll give you a few:

Overrated: 40 times. If a guy runs a 4.25 but you can't find positive tape on him, he's a track guy, not a football guy.

Overrated: Bench Press reps. So, you can reply 225 over 30 times. Nice, I'll keep you in mind if I need to move a couch.

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Underrated - Small school prospects. Competition is overrated, how many of these guys do we see come through with raw talent, once it's honed they beast out. 

Amen.

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Overrated - The suffix "gate", seriously why does every incident require it? 

I don't mind this.  It immediately gets the point across and is quicker to type out than "deflate scandal" or "spy controversy"

Archived